Hello to our Guest
Welcome to the Mid-America Bigfoot Research Center Forums!
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

This forum will sometimes contain copyrighted information, however, it is placed here under Title 17

Not withstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or
phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple
copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

Post subject: Bigfoot Hunters taking Potshots at Each Other
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:45 pm 
Chief Forum Administrator/MABRC Executive Director
Chief Forum Administrator/MABRC Executive Director

Medals: 39
The Sunday Herald
2 – Section 5 March 4, 1979
Paddock Publications
Bigfoot Hunters taking Potshots at Each Other
Seattle (AP) – Dr. Grover Krantz, a physical anthropologist at Washington State University in Pullman, sometimes drives at night along lonely back roads with a rifle by his side and bullets in his pocket. That’s out of character for the gaunt, bearded Krantz, because he’s not a hunter. His conscience still bothers him because he shot a deer when he was 14. But he is armed for Bigfoot, the giant, hairy, apelike creature that is said to stalk the Pacific Northwest. There have been reported sightings on most continents and in every state except and Hawaii and Rhode Island, as well. Enormous footprints have been found in unlikely places, more than 1,000 people swear they have seen the creature move through the forest and others claim to have captured it on film. In Canada, Bigfoot is called Sasquatch, and Indian work for “Bigman.”
Krantz is about the only accredited member of the scientific community who has said categorically that the creature is out there. A few other scientists have waffled, but otherwise nearly the entire scientific community has one word for Bigfoot, and that is “bunk.” Krantz, at the opposite pole, became interested in Bigfoot in 1969 when a deputy sheriff related a sighting. “It sounded very solid. I wanted it to be true, but I didn’t think it was, it would be nice, but…” He became convinced, however, when John Green, a journalist turned politician in British Columbia, dragged him off the Bossburg, Wash., to see more than 1,000 footprints ascribed to a crippled Bigfoot. They were photographed and plaster-cast, as supposed Bigfoot prints frequently are, and Krantz reconstructed the anatomy of the foot, which strongly resemble a club foot. He decided the prints couldn’t have been faked. “It would have taken a brilliant anatomist with a very inventive mind, and we haven’t had one of those around since Leonardo da Vinci,” he says.
Krantz, 46, has suffered in academic standing and advancement because of his position on Bigfoot. That’s one reason why he wants someone to bag one. He scoffs at Bigfooters who only want to photograph. “Even if you photograph them down to their tonsils, it will never convince the scientific community,” says Krantz. “We need the body or bones.” That approach appalls John Beckjord, of Seattle, another emphatic figure in the Bigfoot movement. “It might be the missing link,” he says. “We may have a better chance of communicating with this animal than with any other.” That issue has touched off wild arguments among the roughly 200 persons in the loose network of Bigfoot hunters, a network in which nobody seems to like anybody very much.
One reason for frequent discord is offered by Green, the former editor and publisher of the Agassiz-Harrison Advance in British Columbia. Green has collected 1,800 reports of sightings and written four books on the subject, the most recent titled, “Sasquatch, the Apes Among Us.” “There is no second prize” in the Bigfoot sweepstakes, he explains. “The man who actually collects one sees a pot of gold and fame out here. And if you preselect a group of individuals who are willing to fly in the face of society, you tend to get some pretty opinionated individuals.”
To meet some of them:
Rene Dahinden, of Richmond, B.C., a leathery-faced old timer in the business, who grew up in rural Switzerland, got little formal schooling and is fond of quoting from “The Thoughts of Chairman Mao.” Dahinden has spent much time in the bush but has never laid eyes on Sasquatch.
Beckjord, of Seattle, claims to have seen a Bigfoot, perhaps two, on the Lummi Island Indian reservation in northern Washington. He heads “Project Grendel,” and claims to have a photograph of four Sasquatch - a family – taken by a photographer in the Sierras. The photographer did not see the creatures at the time, but they are now visible through computer enhancements of the film, Beckjord says.
For most people, the Sasquatch debate is a casual entertainment, but for those at the core of it it’s become an obsession, and there’s even talk of a Curse of the Sasquatch.
Bob Titmus, of Harrison Hot Springs, B.C, says he saw one while sailing through the Wrangel straits of Alaska in 1942: He put it out of his mind of 26 years, practicing his trade as a taxidermist, then heard about Sasquatch tracks and went looking. “I can’t tell you how long it took me to put the two things together,” he says. “The creature I was tracking was the creature I’d seen all those years ago. Titmus, now 60, says he eventually saw three more from a distance. He accident in pursuit of one of the creatures suffered a spinal injury in a boating a Sasquatch hunter he says.
Why do they continue? “It’s my life,” Dahinden says. “I’m still wondering if the damned thing exists. I’m not out in the bush for my health. No, I don’t think I really care about the money as much as I care about the fight. Maybe it’s childish, but I want to rattle the institutions teeth with it.”
Beckjord simply says, “I’m committed, obsessed and feverish.”
And Grover Krantz would be vindicated.

Attachments:
5844.jpg
5844.jpg [ 173.89 KiB | Viewed 325 times ]
 Profile Personal album