Hello to our Guest
Welcome to the Mid-America Bigfoot Research Center Forums!
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

This forum will sometimes contain copyrighted information, however, it is placed here under Title 17

Not withstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

Post subject: BFRO SKAGIT COUNTY
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:34 am 
MABRC Forum Administrator, MABRC Western Oklahoma State Director, Mid-South Regional Assistant Director
MABRC Forum Administrator, MABRC Western Oklahoma State Director, Mid-South Regional Assistant Director

Medals: 32
Quote:
Report # 28438 (Class A)
Submitted by witness no on Thursday, October 28, 2010. Hunter has a daylight sighting of a tall biped west of Darrington
YEAR: 2010

SEASON: Fall

MONTH: October

DATE: 10/22/2010

STATE: Washington

COUNTY: Skagit County

LOCATION DETAILS: off 530 at the gas station, go up road 18 follow it up till you see the sign for road 1855, stay on this road and follow it all the way to the top of the ridge. There has been people camping so its well used.

NEAREST TOWN: Darrington,WA.

NEAREST ROAD: Hwy 530

OBSERVED: up hunting on road 1855 above Darrington, WA. Friday Oct.22 2010. mid day, 4200 ft.elv. We were at the end of the road on top of a ridge, my buddy was checking out a steep canyon on one side of the ridge and I hiked down about 40 yrds. down the other side (east). I was just looking around for deer or bear, this area is well known for black bear, one had been shot a week before in this area. I heard some branches breaking down from me about 100 yrds. so I started watching in the direction of the noise. I saw a few tree branches moving, not like from wind and all of a sudden I saw what looked like a brownish/black shoulder and head of something, I don't know for sure what it was but I know that I've been in the woods a lot in my 51 years and nothing ever before made the hair on my neck stand up in the woods like it did that day. Also there was a faint odor of rotten meat or rotten trash??? I'm not sure if it was a bigfoot or not but it might be worth checking out. We were only there for about 15 minutes as it was starting to rain hard and the clouds were moving in and we couldn't see for hunting.

ALSO NOTICED: none

OTHER WITNESSES: just me, I didn't say anything to my hunting buddy as he thinks things like this are not true.

OTHER STORIES: not that I have heard but I am going to check this out.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: mid day,rainy and fog and clouds

ENVIRONMENT: elev.4200 ft. thick woods but open areas on the west side of the road. enough so that you glass the area and see animal trails running all over the area.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Tyler Bounds:

I made contact with the witness via telephone on November 4, 2010, and discussed with him at length the details of his encounter. I found him to be very familiar with the animals of western Washington, and an experienced outdoorsman, having spent his adult life traveling and hunting throughout the forests of Washington. I feel that his familiarity with the fauna and terrain greatly adds to the credibility of him possibly encountering a sasquatch.

On a typical northwestern cloudy gray afternoon on October 22, 2010, the witness and a hunting partner were hunting for deer and black bear west of Darrington. After they made the final turn onto the mountain road that led to their destination, they saw a truck was coming down the road towards them. They passed each other without incident or exchanging words. They continued on to their chosen destination, the end of the road, which terminated in an old logging landing atop a ridge (elevation 4500') that runs roughly NW-SE. They noticed that this had been recently occupied, as there were still hot coals in a firepit there, which they doused with water.

They commenced their hunt, splitting up to glass opposite sides of the ridge. The witness took the NE facing side, while his partner took the SW side. The witness hiked up a small knoll until he found a good spot from which to scan the hillside below. While hiking up he noticed a bad odor, akin to "rotting garbage", and also experienced an unexplainable "bad feeling in my gut, like I suddenly felt sick to my stomach".

From this spot, he was looking downslope, noticing many animal trails criss-crossing the slope below, which was a mixture of dense forest and some more open areas. After 1 to 2 minutes, the witness heard a "crunching and crashing" through the trees, some 40-50 yards below him and, assuming it to be a bear, observed something moving through the trees, with a black head, shoulders, and upper back moving downhill away from him. It was walking upright, "sort of lumbering along", and had a "cone-shaped head, but not pointy" set directly on very wide shoulders, "with no neck at all, and the head looked like it was too small for the shoulders it was on." He did not notice any ears. It was entirely black in color, but he was able to make out the muscle definition of its shoulders and upper back, which appeared to be covered in hair that "looked thick, on the back and shoulders", and also appeared to be "matted and dirty, but not stringy." It continued downhill away from him, moving through the second-growth evergreen trees with apparent ease and speed, "like it was moving through tissue paper", until it was lost from sight, but he was able to hear it traveling through the trees for some time after that. His visual observation lasted a total of 3 to 5 seconds. He also noticed that it was nearly as tall as the trees there, which he estimated to be between 10 and 14 feet tall, guessing that the creature was 7 to 9 feet tall, at which point he was sure it could not be a bear.

After everything was quiet, the witness was quite unnerved, enough to compel him to return to their vehicle. At this point, low clouds had started rolling in, compromising visibility, and it had begun to rain. His partner soon returned to the vehicle as well, and they decided to call it a day, due to the adverse weather. The witness did not share with his partner what he had experienced, since he knew that he wouldn't believe him, and didn't want to get constantly barraged with ridicule on the way out of the mountains. The entire time spent by the witness at the spot was no more than 15 minutes.

Upon returning home, and after thinking about the events preceding his visual observation, the witness hypothesized that perhaps the creature was approaching, or had already approached, the abandoned campsite, when their arrival interrupted it, since it was so close to the ridgetop, and was moving downhill away from it. He thought that there was also the possibility that perhaps the previous occupants had encountered the animal, thus their haste in leaving. He also thought that possibly they were hunters as well, and had perhaps made a kill in the area, attracting the animal. Of course, these are all just theories, but to me very plausible, since all of the scenarios are consistent with previously observed sasquatch behavior.

Considering the area where the observation occurred, which has a history of encounters, and has also been used recently as a basecamp for several smaller outings and a couple larger expeditions that I have either participated in or organized, and taking into account the witness' considerable outdoor experience, I do think that it is highly probable that he did in fact have a close encounter with a sasquatch.

About BFRO Investigator Tyler Bounds:

Tyler Wm. Bounds is a lifelong outdoorsman and explorer, spending many years hiking, backpacking, biking and paddling throughout the Pacific Northwest and Alaska. He has attended the Washington Cascades Expeditions in 2008 and 2009, the Washington Olympic Peninsula Expeditions in 2008, 2009 and 2010 (organizer), Oregon 2010 Expedition, and numerous smaller trips, both solo and with other Investigators and BFRO members, investigating Bigfoot sightings and activity.

Post subject: Re: BFRO SKAGIT COUNTY
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:35 am 

Quote:
Report # 28308 (Class A)
Submitted by witness no on Monday, September 27, 2010. Man has a close encounter with a large, upright creature in a swamp near Big Lake
YEAR: 2009

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: June

DATE: early- to mid-June

LOCATION DETAILS: Pilchuck tree farm. Near Centennial Trail. Lake McMurray side.

NEAREST TOWN: Big Lake, WA

NEAREST ROAD: Highway 9

OBSERVED: I fished till dark then headed to my truck. Threw my float tube in the back and cruised over to a nearby swamp to change out of my fishing waders and eat a snack. I sat for awhile listening to the frogs, they were so loud you couldn't hear yourself think. I was enjoying a Washington summer night. Out in the dark swamp 6 feet below me about 35 yards away I saw a pair animal eyes moving towards me. I thought I would let this deer just pass and even got excited for a second. As it came near I saw that it would eventually pass my location so I sat and watched. At around twenty yards or less I noticed from the blue/clear eyes that the deer was walking strangely. I got a little nervous and whistled to let it know of my presence and that is when I realized this set of eyes are connected to an animal walking on two legs! After the whistle the animal looked at me and walked off slowly looking over its shoulder. It tripped while looking over its shoulder, I could see the eyes go down then slowly get up again all the while watching me and walked off into the swamp looking over its shoulder. I was honestly freaked. I got out of there and didn't go back for quite some time. Before the incident I doubted the possibility, now I have no doubt of the existence of Sasquatch.

ALSO NOTICED: The frogs were so loud I think its why the animal got so close.

OTHER STORIES: I heard from a friend of sightings in the area.
Will not say who.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: It was night, 9 to 11. No wind,
no light besides in the eyes

ENVIRONMENT: Swamp

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Tyler Bounds:

I interviewed the witness via telephone on the afternoon of September 30, 2010. He still seemed to be confused by what he saw, and was trying to rationalize it, unsuccessfully, nearly 16 months after the event. He is very familiar with various Washington fauna, and has considerable outdoor experience. He seemed to be very sincere about what he witnessed. We agreed to meet me at the site of his encounter immediately. Upon arriving at the site, he stated that he was immediately feeling "creeped out" by being back at the location, and was visibly affected by being there.

Late one evening in mid-June of 2009, after fishing at a local lake, the witness drove a short distance away to a trailhead parking area to eat some food and change out of his waders. This spot is immediately adjacent to and 3-4 feet above a large marshy area, with stretches of open water, cattails, small flowing streams, grassy hummocks, downed trees and rotting old growth stumps dotting the swamp. After changing and having some snacks, he sat for awhile, approximately 30 minutes, on the side of his truck bed, affording him a commanding view of the location, with his head height being 9-10 feet above the level of the swamp. He sat, listening to the songs and croaks of the numerous frogs in the swamp. He stated that they "were so loud, you couldn't hear yourself think." At this time it was completely dark, with no nearby houses or cars providing any ambient light. The only source of light was the stars on this warm, clear night, and he had no artificial light, preferring to let his eyes adjust to the darkness. He eventually became aware of some sort of animal slowly approaching the parking area, parallel to his truck, from approximately 30 yards away. At first he thought it was a deer, as all he could immediately discern was a dark, shadowy figure, and with numerous deer in the area, he "just assumed that's what it was." As it approached closer, within 15 yards, he noticed that it had "shining eyes, bluish white, like starlight." It was after this point that he noticed that it wasn't moving like a deer, and it seemed to be "hunched over", and uniformly dark in color. He then began to think that it might be a black bear, and as it was dark, and he was sitting on a black truck, with all noise being overpowered by the chorus of hundreds of frogs, he was concerned that if it was a bear, it was now within 10 yards of him, approaching too close for his comfort, especially if it may be surprised by his presence, possibly resulting in a bad situation. So he decided to announce his presence to the animal by letting out a sharp, piercing whistle. Immediately after doing this, the animal looked straight at him, stood upright on two legs, "like a person", to a height "2 or 3 feet lower" than his eye level (which was somewhere around 9 to 10 feet, sitting on the side of his truck in an elevated parking area), and without taking its eyes off of the witness, turned and began slowly striding away, still on two legs, in the direction that it had come. The creature would look forward, then back over its shoulder, keeping its eyes on the witness. After retreating to perhaps 35-40 yards away, the witness stated that the creature, while looking back at him, tripped and went down on its hands and knees, and before arising, looked back at the witness, and kept its eyes on him as it picked itself back up and resumed walking away, until it went behind a stand of trees that are along the side of the swamp. The witness then immediately jumped down and got into his truck, locked the doors, and left the scene. He did not return to the site until he met with me there.

I believe that the witness was sincere in the description of his encounter, and did observe a sasquatch, perhaps gathering food in the swamp, as there was an abundance of frogs, skunk cabbage, deer and waterfowl in the immediate area. There are no human habitations nearby, to the west is a tree farm consisting of several square miles, to the east is the front range foothills of the Central Cascade Mountains. There have been several sightings in the immediate area, with 3 reports within 3 miles of the swamp being submitted, as recently as October 2009.

About BFRO Investigator Tyler Bounds:

Tyler Wm. Bounds is a lifelong outdoorsman and explorer, spending many years hiking, backpacking, biking and paddling throughout the Pacific Northwest and Alaska. He has attended the Washington Cascades Expeditions in 2008 and 2009, the Washington Olympic Peninsula Expeditions in 2008, 2009 and 2010 (organizer), Oregon 2010 Expedition, and numerous smaller trips, both solo and with other Investigators and BFRO members, investigating Bigfoot sightings and activity.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:36 am 

Quote:
Report # 10509 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Sunday, February 06, 2005. Large animal seen crouching near Baker Lake
YEAR: 2004

MONTH: June

DATE: 15

LOCATION DETAILS: Highway 29, North to Baker Lake Rd. Follow to Shannon Creek Campground Rd.

NEAREST TOWN: Concrete, Wa

NEAREST ROAD: Baker Lake Rd

OBSERVED: I WAS CAMPING NEAR BAKER LAKE, IN THE BAKER- SNOQUALMIE NATIONAL FOREST. I HAD GONE FOR A DRIVE DOWN THE MAIN ROAD NEAR THE CAMPGROUND. I TURNED OUT OF THE SHANNON CREEK CAMPGROUND EXIT BACK ONTO THE MAIN ROAD. AT THE STOP SIGN JUST BEFORE I TURNED, I HAPPENED TO LOOK UP THE HILL ACROSS FROM THE SIGN AND SPOTTED THE BIGFOOT. HE WAS ABOUT FIFTY FEET FROM ME SLIGHTLY UP THE HILL. ALL I SAW WAS THE BACK, SHOULDERS, HIPS AND TOP OF BUTTOCKS. IT WAS STILL AND HAD ITS BACK TO ME. THE HAIR COLOR WAS A LIGHTER SHADE OF RED AND SPARSE. I COULD SEE THE MUSCLES BENEATH THE HAIR. I TURNED THE CORNER AND DROVE DOWN THE ROAD, NOT WANTING TO DISTURB IT. I'VE GONE BACK TO THE SAME SPOT SINCE THEN LOOKING TO SEE IF THERE IS ANYTHING I COULD HAVER MISTAKEN FOR A BIGFOOT. THERE IS NOT!

ALSO NOTICED: no

OTHER WITNESSES: no

OTHER STORIES: no

TIME AND CONDITIONS: 2:00 in the afternoon or close to that

ENVIRONMENT: Second or third growth trees and underbrush

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Ric Hjertberg:

I spoke with the witness on two occassions for a total of about one hour. She is an avid outdoors person and currently leads sea kayaking tours. She makes frequent one to three day camping trips to Baker Lake, in the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest. On this particular day she was exploring campground roads. On exiting the Shannon Creek Campground she observed a large, fur covered creature about 50 feet up the hill, across from her car. It was facing away, crouching, making a height estimate difficult. Its back and buttocks were exposed and she particularly noticed the musculature beneath its thin hair. It appeared to be busy, perhaps digging, and alternate muscle contractions were visible in its back. The anatomy of its gluteus muscles and "butt crack", were very human like, different than bear or another large mammal. Her overwhelming first reaction was not to disturb it. After observing for a few seconds, she drove away. On a subsequent trip to the same area, about two weeks later, she walked up to the spot to satisfy herself that nothing was different from her recollection. Beyond this brushy area is very thick forest leading steeply up towards Mt. Baker.

About BFRO Investigator Ric Hjertberg:

Ric is a writer and bicycle designer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:37 am 

Quote:
Report # 8456 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Wednesday, April 07, 2004. Hunters have something take up perimeter around camp near Mt. Baker
YEAR: 1998

MONTH: August

NEAREST TOWN: concrete

NEAREST ROAD: Baker lake road

OBSERVED: we were all sitting around the campfire near lake Grandy (near Concrete Washington) off the side of a logging road. We started hearing the same noises that have been recorded from previous encounters by other people. The noise came from three directions about fifty yards outside of our camp just inside the tree line. I then shot a round out of my shotgun into the air, whatever was making the noises was not in any way affected by the loud noise of the shot. We were all very scared by then so we packed up our things and sat in the truck listening and waiting until about 4:00 am the next morning, frequently turning on our lights to see if anything had come out of the tree line, nothing ever came out but the noises were still loud and clear when we decided to get the hell out of there. The next mourning when we came back all of the nice juicy food that we had left out unpackaged was untouched! any wild animal would have eaten it right up when we left at 4:00 that morning. We could not pick up any tracks because of the terrain we were in. no trace of what we had come in counter with.

ALSO NOTICED: none of our open food had been touched, it had been left out for at least six hours before we returned. the food was peanut butter and sardines.

OTHER WITNESSES: three, we were all sitting around the campfire.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: my son first started hearing it around 5:00 pm but did not think anything of it so he did not say anything. The conditions were hot and sunny. We all starting hearing the noise about 2-3 hours later. It was dark but warm and we had a bright camp fire.

ENVIRONMENT: Fairly dry for the pacific north west, dry, warm August night.

Follow-up investigation report:

Witness is retired from the military and was bear hunting with son and friend, who is also retired from the military.

As they were sitting in camp they had heard a howl off in the distance. "I don't have that great sense of hearing anymore, but I heard that howl off in the distance". It later approached their camping area and started screaming, "It took up a perimeter around us, we could hear them or at least one of them walking around the camp, snapping sticks as it walked".

Witness said that they could hear at least three of them, but trying to recollect that evening he said that they could hear two of them. "The noises that they made were awful sounds, I have heard many things, cats (cougar) scream, jet engines, different sounds from around the world while in the military, but these sounds made by whatever these were... well it was awful. Noises that we made with the pots and pans and even the two gunshots would have scared any animal off.... but not these things, they continued to circle our camp".

Witness said they had tried to scare them off with the banging of pots and pans and when that didn't work, witness went for his shotgun and fired two shots into the air. "The shots never bothered them, they continued to make those noises". The group then started to pack up camp, while subjects were still walking around them. "We decided that we were going to spend the night in the truck, whatever was out there still continued to stay around up until about.... it was 4:00 when we left".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:38 am 

Quote:
Report # 60 (Class B)
Submitted by Rick Dolan on Tuesday, August 01, 2000. Missing Cattle and large footprints found
YEAR: 1994-1997+

SEASON: Spring

DATE: intermittant

LOCATION DETAILS: Up the Baker hwy., about 12 miles north from Hwy 20.

NEAREST TOWN: Concrete

NEAREST ROAD: Mt.Baker Hwy

OBSERVED: These two gentlmen, brothers, recluses age 50's phoned me and explained these events. They own and operate a cattle ranch. They have over 200 acres of interspersed Old growth Douglas Fir and graze. There is virtually no access (by vehicle) to their land, because of swamps, creeks and no roads, except the drive onto the innitial property. I have hunted the area around their place and know it well. Also locals would not venture on their property because of their reclusness and temperment - this is why I rule out fowl play! During the months from MAY thru early JULY they (the brothers) had been experiencing calv's missing from herd.The herd numbers over 200 head I believe and the weight of the calv's that turned up missing from time to time during this 3 month time frame,were 300 - 400 lb. calv's. No blood, no body parts at all were ever found,just missing cattle.The brothers also stated that the cattle would always come running to the brothers when the cattle saw them in the pasture to round them up for the evening feeding, but the brothers had noticed that when the events, early on, started happening the cattle, upon seeing the brothers - at a distance, 100 yards or more would run in panic. Immediatly I could see the "Possible" reason why, being that the brothers were bipedal in nature also. After a couple of years, and this occured the same time -may thru july, the third year on e evening on a round up the brothers finally found a calf that had just been killed and left. They determined it must have just happened because it was warm. They also felt that they showed up and probably scared off what ever had done this because, an animal had never been left before! A vet, among other qualified persons had a thoruogh exam of the calf. It was skinned, there were no teeth marks, there were no claw marks. The animal was killed by having it's neck broke. Now this calf was in the 300 - 400 lb. range, I don't know any man thats man enough to take on that feet. The examiner also found a very obviouse and DEEP bruise mark running in a 45 degree anle from spine down along rib cage. The out side lines of bruise were very paralel to each other and 6-8in. apart. Like something had kicied the cow in the ribs or hit it with a post, tree whatever that was 6-8 in. wide. That would take alot of POWER. Besides, the blood bruise extended all the way into the inside of the rib cage. Analysis of the lung indicated some sort of respitry ailment or disease assosiated with cougars or the Feline species. How ever no bite marks or claw marks were found anywhere on the animal. Tracks were also found, 3 sets total. Two were from an adult, one set 17in. the other 15in. The third set was much smaller 10in.

ALSO NOTICED: Feces was found and sent to a University in Montana, determination was that it was from an un-known source. The brothers had also found heavy bone, 1/4 in. thick in pieces like some bone had been smashed. These bone fragments were found in droppings left and still warm by what ever had done this.

OTHER STORIES: There is a ridge along their property-Doc Butte, S.E.from Mt. Baker, there are caves there and these brothers think that that may be a good place for a look in the future.

I have witnessed two bipedal creatues myself in my youth years in early 70's - since then I, on my own, have studied, followed up on sightings and reports and accumulated info on Bigfoot for all most 30 years now. There are people in this area who are aware of my interest and knowledge in this area (bigfoot), and the unique and very out of the ordinary report I'm about to tell is definately one (due to circumstances, events, behavior etc etc,) that is quit different from hundreds of accounts and cases that I have ever found!

TIME AND CONDITIONS: These events occured from May all thru June and into early July. For a 3-4 year period - allways in the same time window ( MAY - JULY)

ENVIRONMENT: 200 acres of interspersed Old growth Douglas Fir.

A & G References: Pg. 110, D3
Mt. Baker Snoqualimie National Forest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:38 am 

Quote:
Report # 1617 (Class A)
Submitted by witness Larry Anderson on Wednesday, December 03, 1997. Three hikers see something cross their path
YEAR: 1986

LOCATION DETAILS: At Lake 10, two miles south of town.

NEAREST TOWN: Mt. Vernon

NEAREST ROAD: I 5

OBSERVED: I left an open can of jack mackerel 20 yards up from our campsite. A couple hours after we went to sleep something wandered into our camp, omitting quiet high pitched noises. Then the can of fish came rolling down the hill past my tent. Thinking it was a bear I loaded my .22 rifle and shot up to scare it off. Then this huge creature ran off through the swamp. From the noise it was making one can assume it was big, whatever it was. So we got out of our tents, built a fire, disposed of the fish and talked about it for 20 min. or so. Shortly after we went back into our tents loud screams came from the other side of the lake.

I've a good amount of time in the woods and I have never heard anything even close to what I heard that night. The screams went on for 30 minutes. We were shooting our rifles, yelling, banging pots, and this creature just kept on making these horrible screams, similar to the screams I have since heard of Bigfoot on recordings.

One can dismiss the idea of a human playing a joke. What human in their right mind would continue to make these noises after we started shooting? From what I have gathered on the subject of Bigfoot my experience was a little uncommon.

OTHER WITNESSES: Fishing, sitting around a fire eating.

OTHER STORIES: Talked to 4 different people in a 5 year time frame that said they had seen a huge hairy creature in this area. Did not take them serious. These people were all separate and not aquatinted with each other in any way.

Also talked to one guy after my encounter. He said in the late 60s screams in this area were not uncommon, and that there was more than one Bigfoot inhabiting this area. He also noted that branches were twisted off of trees at a 10-12 ft. level.

ENVIRONMENT: Sixteen acre lake set in a bowl at 1200 ft., Mostly second growth fir. Also swampy areas and lots of deciduous trees.

A & G References: Pg. 95, B6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:39 am 

Quote:
Report # 12916 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Friday, October 28, 2005. Daylight sighting by motorists near the town of Big Lake
YEAR: 1980

SEASON: Spring

MONTH: May

DATE: mothers day weekend

LOCATION DETAILS: East side of Big Lake (town), Walker Valley Off Road Vehicle Park.

NEAREST TOWN: Big Lake

NEAREST ROAD: Highway 9

OBSERVED: I had taken my kids for a drive on Mother's Day, 1980, in the mountains east of Big Lake, WA. As we came around a bend in the dirt road we saw something at a distance crossing the road to head up the mountain. It saw us, stopped to look at us, then ran back down into the brush and disappeared.

It was almost black, with no variation in color. It was not a bear, nor a human.

ALSO NOTICED: No other human activity in area that day. Local ranger stated that there was 50 miles of wilderness in any direction.

OTHER WITNESSES: There were 3 of us that saw it. I was driving, coasting. I had one son on the hood who saw it, and another son in the car who saw it. Two other sons did not see it.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: It was afternoon,sunny and dry.

ENVIRONMENT: Forest on either side of the road, with thick brush going down the right side of the road, and trees on the left side going up.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Derek Freel:

I spoke with the witness. She may have surprised the animal by coasting around a corner on the mountain road. When she came around the corner the animal was halfway across the road. It turned, looked at the car and ran on two legs in the opposite direction, down a hill and into some brush.

The actual sighting lasted only a few seconds, but she was adamant about what she and her children saw that day.

About BFRO Investigator Derek Freel:

Derek Freel grew up near Okanogan, Washington, and currently lives in the Kennewick area. He has studied the subject of sasquatch for many years, and was very lucky to have encountered the animals on several BFRO Expeditions. Derek is taking an active role in bringing these animals into mainstream science. He attended the 2005 Washington Expedition, 2006 Redwoods Expedition, 2006 Oregon Expedition and the 2006 Washington Expedition.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:40 am 

Quote:
Media Article # 144
Article submitted by Richard Noll

Monday, August 11, 1969

Abominable Snowman Sighted Near Darrington by 2 Youths

By Elizabeth Poehlman
Everett Herald

Darrington -

Two Darrington area boys didn't believe in abominable snowmen Sunday of last week.

During the next 24 hours they became firm believers.

After returning from a week long camping trip, they reported that three of the mysterious creatures chased them from Cub Lake, high above the Suiattle River to within a few hundred yards of their camp about a mile away.

Mark Meece, 16, Darrington, and Marshall Cabe, 14, Rt. 3, Arlington, were among eight teen-agers who hiked from Downey Creek Campground up the Downey Creek and Bachelor Creek Trails Monday of last week.

At 6:30p.m. the boys made camp less than a mile from Cub Lake. After dinner Mark and Marshall volunteered to hike to Cub Lake and Itswoot Lake to scout for fish.

It was on their return that they spotted the first of the creatures across Cub Lake.

"I asked Mark what it was," Marshall said. Mark at first thought it was a big bear or just a snag. But then the creature made a "come on" gesture with its arm and two more like him came into sight.

As the boys watched, the three creatures started around the lake toward them.

The boys said the three animals stood on their hind legs and ran like men. "They looked more like big, well built men than apes." Mark said. He said their arms came about to their knees. They were covered with long black hair except on their faces.

Their heads "dipped in and out at the forehead," Mark said. Both boys said the creatures were 10 to 11 feet tall and moved with great ease.

With the creatures coming after them, the two boys ran up a rock slide that sloped away from the lake. Half-way up they looked back to see that the three creatures - about 50 yards behind - had spread out as if to surround them, they said.

"We were both so scared we were shaking," Marshall said. "We told each other goodbye. We thought we were going to die."

The three animals called to one another with a high shrill sound, according to the boys.

At the top of the ridge above the lake the boys dropped down to the camping area where their six friends were. "At first they didn't believe us," Mark said. "But then they saw how white and panicky we were and they did."

Both boys feel it was the sight or smell of the campfire that kept the creatures from pursuing them down the ridge.

Have you ever believed the story of the abominable snowman? Marshall was asked.

"I never have believed in it. I always thought it was a bear. Now I don't care what anybody says; I know it wasn't a bear."

"I know what I saw." Mark said. "I've never seen anything like it before."

Others in the group were Gene Karger, Steve Richter, Gerald Nations, Ernie Gladsjo, Shawn Beauchamp and Gary Booker.

Most of the group returned to Darrington Thursday after fishing in Downey Creek. None of them ventured into Itswoot Lake as they had originally planned.

Robert Taylor, district ranger in Darrington District of Mount Baker National Forest said this morning that his office had received reports of the incident but was not taking it too seriously. He said he would not send anyone into the area especially to investigate the report, but "If we have anyone going up that way we'll ask them to look around." He said the district has never had a report of any such strange creatures.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:47 am 

Quote:
Report # 28577 (Class B)
Submitted by witness Please remove names on Friday, December 03, 2010. Possible footprints found and a cast made on the Suiattle River near Darrington (w/photos)
YEAR: 2010

DATE: 28th

LOCATION DETAILS: Riparian habitat

NEAREST TOWN: Darrington Washington

NEAREST ROAD: FS 26

OBSERVED: I was camping on property I own on the Suiattle River in Washington state the weekend of August 28th 2010. When I arrived at my camp site and set up both my dogs began acting very agitated,the younger of the two never did settle down until we all went into our 5th wheel for the night.
The next day walking down by the river I found foot prints in the mud, the foot prints appeared to come out of the river go about 50 yards and circle back to the river.
I took pictures of these tracks and the next day I went to Darrington and bought some plaster and made cast. The size of the footprints are about 13 inches long and 4 inches wide we call them "smallfoot".

ALSO NOTICED: see notes from whole story

OTHER WITNESSES: my wife

OTHER STORIES: Yes,once in the summer of 2008 I heard something crashing around in the woods near my camp in the dark, I fired my gun into the air and the noise stopped but i did not hear anything leaving the area. Also a friend of mine was camping at Tenas creek in 2007 and had the crap scared out of him by something crashing around in the woods during the night.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Daytime

ENVIRONMENT: river sand, mud

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator David W Ellis:

I met with the witness and his wife several times and got to see the impressions he cast. The castings were well done considering he had no practical experience using plaster of paris. Although the impressions and castings look very human like they do correlate well to some impressions I personally cast investigating a report close to Darrington back in 2006. In both cases the situational context is very compelling.

I need to clarify the statement about the trackway. The witness states that the footprints came out of the water and circled back to the river. The foot prints did not circle back to the origin. The foot prints came out of the water in one location and re-entered the water downstream in a different location.

The witness and his wife were the only people at their camp along the river. They would know if a neighbor or any other person would have come onto their property. They also had their dogs who were edgy but not acting like there were people about. The trackway was discovered the following morning. The witness believes that the tracks were made sometime during the night. We discussed the possibility of a lone kayaker. There were no impressions or drag marks that would have been made pulling the boat ashore. Also a kayaker would have doubled back on their own impressions to retrieve their boat. The tracks were one way, out of the river and then back at a different location.

I have two other stories the witness and his wife related.

One involves a neighbor that was camping by himself and his dog. Sometime during the night while at his campfire he heard some terrible crashing sounds. They were close. He could hear something bipedal circling his position. He called out for the intruder to identify themselves declaring he was armed. No reply. The crashing intensified to the point he retreated to his pickup with a covered canopy. He climbed in back with his dog. He spent the remainder of the night in the back of his truck terrified as the harassment continued.

The other story has to be modified some as not to reveal the property location. The witness and his wife went for a hike near their property by the river. They came upon a deer carcass that had been quartered and only the hind legs had been removed. All of a sudden they got the feeling of being watched to the point they decided to return to the campsite. On their way back they noticed a neatly displayed line of fish on the river bank. These fish were not there when they originally past this spot. The fish were not damaged in any way, just neatly laying along the shore of the river as if they had been placed there. This spooked them even more. They still felt as if they were being watched. Hurriedly they left and returned to their campsite.

I am including several pictures that show the river, several of the impressions and a comparison photo of my Darrington cast with the cast made by the witness. Yes they do look human. I was speaking with another investigator that said they had collected some odd narrow impressions from this same area. He postulated that the subject leaving the footprints was partially walking on the edge of its foot and then rolling on to the ball. This indeed would leave an odd looking impression. If you look at the scaled photograph the heel of the foot is very narrow and odd looking. In my opinion both impressions seem to be too narrow even for a human. They do suggest some interesting walking patterns.

Location where the trackway was discovered
Attachment:
Big Foot 016 edit SK.jpg
Big Foot 016 edit SK.jpg [ 136.29 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]

Attachment:
Big Foot 009 edit SK.jpg
Big Foot 009 edit SK.jpg [ 138.47 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]

Attachment:
Report 28577aSK.jpg
Report 28577aSK.jpg [ 98.75 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]

When looking at the context of the case it seems hard to explain that a neighbor, a barefoot hiker or a wayward kayaker is responsible for the footprints. The witness claims they would know if anybody was trespassing. So I will leave it for you to decide. Personally I find it very compelling.

About BFRO Investigator David W Ellis:

# Senior Sales Representative for Lightolier / Philips
# Currently residing on Whidbey Island in Puget Sound
# Attended several public and private expeditions in Washington State
# Assisted with the 2009 expeditions on the Peninsula and the Cascades