Hello to our Guest
Welcome to the Mid-America Bigfoot Research Center Forums!
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

This forum will sometimes contain copyrighted information, however, it is placed here under Title 17

Not withstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

Post subject: BFRO SKAMANIA COUNTY
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:41 am 
MABRC Forum Administrator, MABRC Western Oklahoma State Director, Mid-South Regional Assistant Director
MABRC Forum Administrator, MABRC Western Oklahoma State Director, Mid-South Regional Assistant Director

Medals: 32
Quote:
Report # 26572 (Class B)
Submitted by witness No on Sunday, September 13, 2009. Backpacker hears multiple vocalizations while camping near Trout Lake
YEAR: 2009

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: September

DATE: 9

STATE: Washington

COUNTY: Skamania County

LOCATION DETAILS: See report on GPS location

NEAREST TOWN: Trout Lake and Willard

NEAREST ROAD: see report

OBSERVED: Started on a three day hike in Gifford Pinchot National Forest on 8 Sept 09 at trail head #48 near East Crater. After the first day of hiking into Indian Heaven Wilderness and spending a cold night at Elk Lake, I decided to hike to a lower elevation near Forlorn Lakes in which I camped on the second night (GPS N45 57.889 W 121 45.536). I was outside a designated camping site about 200 meters west in a small valley that paralleled road Nf6035. No one was occupying the camp grounds nearby that night and it was a very quiet night, until I was awaken with what I describe as three consecutive whooping yells followed by a guttural scream that lasted for about 3 seconds. It was very loud. Startled, I remember looking at my watch at the time and it was about 0230hrs. After the whooping calls, I heard very faint distant calls or howling (not whooping). The source of the scream was definitely coming further up valley I was camped in (maybe 200-300 meters away). I stayed awake for a couple more hours in my tent and heard nothing more during the night. I hiked alone for the three days, therefore no further calibration can be offered from another witness. But I do find something interesting, the sound I heard was a very close match to the recordings of whooping sounds on this web sight. Hope this small report helps.

ALSO NOTICED: See report. Only the vocal sounds. No unsual smells.

OTHER WITNESSES: only myself

TIME AND CONDITIONS: 0230hrs, almost full moon. Temp was around 50F

ENVIRONMENT: Dense fir trees, wet ground as it was raining a couple days before. Semi swamp in the center of the small valley in which I was camping nearby.

A & G References: Page 24, zone A2

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Scott Taylor:

I was able to interview this witness over the phone. The witness currently lives in West Virginia and was visiting Washington State for a backpacking trip. The witness grew up not far from where this took place.

The area is known for regular sasquatch encounters, for example Report #25194 , so a backpacker having an encounter is not a surprise. The interesting aspect of this report and this witness is that he is a professional in observing his environment due to his extensive military training and combat experience. He is thus a very careful observer of what he sees and hears, and is very meticulous and accurate in his reporting of the facts of what observed. Having grown up in the area, he is familiar with sasquatches because he actually had a very close night time encounter when he was a boy.

This witness reports hearing a series of three “whoop” calls, followed by a three second scream. He mentioned that the whoops started out at a fairly low pitch which rapidly increased in tone to a high pitch. The scream was a very guttural scream lasting three seconds. Following the scream, he reports that there were answering vocalizations in the form of howls from further away and that they were very faint.

His description of the whoops is identical to what I heard at the Olympics Expedition in 2009. They are also much like some of the Sierra Sounds. The scream reminds me of the scream described in Report #18620. The answering howls are much like what we have recorded in many places in Washington State over the years.

I believe that this person heard true sasquatch vocalizations.

About BFRO Investigator Scott Taylor:

Scott Taylor is an aerospace engineer. He lives in Spanaway, Washington. He had his first bigfoot encounter in October 2005 where he smelled it, was followed and then heard vocalizations. He attended the 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 BFRO Expeditions in the Washington Cascades, the 2007 BFRO Expedition in the central Oregon Cascades and the 2007 Utah Expedition in the Uintas and He attended the 2008 and 2009 Olympic Peninsula Expeditions.

Post subject: Re: BFRO SKAMANIA COUNTY
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:42 am 

Quote:
Report # 25194 (Class B)
Submitted by witness No on Sunday, December 21, 2008. Father and son hear a wood knock and find large human-like barefoot tracks while hunting near Trout Lake
YEAR: 2008

SEASON: Fall

MONTH: November

DATE: 25th and 26th

LOCATION DETAILS: Fire road 66 in the south prairie

NEAREST TOWN: between carson and guller wa

NEAREST ROAD: fire road 66

OBSERVED: Well, I must admit to being rather surprised to ever find myself to be putting together a "report" of big foot activity.

With that said, I would like to share with you folks my experience this fall during the 2008 late muzzle loading hunt in Washington state. I saw two different set tracks On two separate days, in different areas of the wind river hunting unit.

The below single track was well defined and very recent, as the grass was still coming out of the print whilst I observed it. If I had to guess the print was about 13 to 14 inches long with no instep, five toes and I marveled at how big the big toe was. Anatomically correct in relation to the other toes. Depth was about 3/4 of an inch into the ground.

I was well away from the fire roads and still hunting in loops to keep the wind in our favor and to do a complete stalk of the habitat. As I still hunt at a glacial pace I see a lot of game and don't hardly ever disturb the wild life I'm hunting through. I wear dark wool clothes and use the primitive equipment of the fur trade era.

My son and I both closely studied the print. I could see less defined impressions leading away by laying on the ground sighting in the direction of travel. As the ground was in a semi frozen state that was softening up after an previous evening of light rain. This was a single print in a remote area well away from the fire roads.

The above single track was well defined and very recent, as the grass was still coming out of the print whilst I observed it. If I had to guess the print was about 13 to 14 inches long with no instep, five toes and I marveled at how big the big toe was. Anatomically correct in relation to the other toes. Depth was about 3/4 of an inch into the ground. I was well away from the fire roads and still hunting in loops to keep the wind in our favor and to do a complete stalk of the habitat. As I still hunt at a glacial pace I see a lot of game and don't hardly ever disturb the wild life I'm hunting through. I wear dark wool clothes and use the primitive equipment of the fur trade era.

I was in the south prairie area on the north end of the lava flow. As I had seen a cow and a calf tracks in a area south and east of the area we were in, we planned to return to a different spot via a circuitous route using the available cover and watch a park like area that isn't easily viewed for the evening hunt. This overlooked a sandy area that was the result of flooding outflow. Laying down a volcanic pumice like sand. I was keeping track of the tracks that went up and down the temporary water bed as it effectively cut the prairie in half making it convenient to get a "snapshot" of the previous evenings events. These were all marked and noted each morning when in the area. I was narrowing my hunt down to these two animals.

That evening, while looking over the prairie and glassing the adjacent treeline from the cover of a large tree, I heard a knock or thwack about 150 yards out (Since I was elk hunting I thought it was an antler strike). This was about 10 minutes before the end of legal shooting light as I keep close track of my time when finishing out the day's hunt. Optimistic about the next day's scenario already, we headed for the truck assisted with flashlights. Which we did not turn on until we were well away from this spot as we intended to be back in the morning before day break. We also used the available trees and cover to mask our departure as well.

Next morning, we returned and set up on the previous evenings spot. After the sun was well up I and my son went out on to the prairie to check the sandy wash for sign. This is where we saw three distinct tracks, one in the sand then two deeper ones about 80 inches apart with the last easily defined print on the other side of an log that I could tell, didn't even break it's stride for. These were identical to yesterdays tracks, size, depth shape etc. I feel that it was the same animal.

There are numerous other details, conjecture etc, that I would be happy to discuss now that I am no longer in denial! I am hopeful that this information is of some small help.

Regards, steve

ALSO NOTICED: I felt a presence on the way out on the second day.

OTHER WITNESSES: My son.

OTHER STORIES: none that I know of as I'm not a resident of the area.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: midday, dusk of the 25th and morning of the 26th.

ENVIRONMENT: pine forest, open natural parks, adjacent to lava flow with lava tubes and caves to the south.

I interviewed this witness, as well as his son for over an hour. This witness is a very experienced hunter specializing in hunting with muzzle loading primitive firearms. His style of slow, careful hunting makes him more aware of the wildlife and conditions around him than most people. He is a careful observer of what is going on in the forest around him. He knows the wildlife and the tracks they make, including bears, so he is not one to be fooled. His description of the track, the size, width and clear toes fit with other observed large humanoid footprints found by this investigator as well as others. The stride length is longer than typically reported, but then the creature could have been running. That he found clear tracks on two successive days, as well as hearing a loud wood knock, lead me to conclude that this was an encounter with a sasquatch.

There have been many reports of sasquatch sightings in this part of the state. The behaviors reported were similar to what this witness reported. Further, the close proximity of the lava beds means that there is a source of shelter. This area has a good population of deer, elk, and other wildlife which would provide a good food source.

At this time, the area is snow bound, so an on-site investigation is not possible. This area would be a good place for further study in the late spring and summer.

Scott Taylor is an aerospace engineer. He lives in Spanaway, Washington. He had his first bigfoot encounter in October 2005 where he smelled it, was followed and then heard vocalizations. He attended the 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 BFRO Expeditions in the Washington Cascades, the 2007 BFRO Expedition in the central Oregon Cascades and the 2007 Utah Expedition in the Uintas and He attended the 2008 and 2009 Olympic Peninsula Expeditions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:43 am 

Quote:
Report # 21473 (Class B)
Submitted by witness no on Monday, September 03, 2007. Man and girlfriend, camping, hear loud footsteps and tree knocking near Cispus, Washington
YEAR: 2007

DATE: Sept.3,2007

LOCATION DETAILS: take hwy 12 to randle follow the 25 line south to iron creek picknick area and go left follow that to burly mt. road and go right go up the hill and follow this a tee on the left is burly mt. and on the right is the way to the camp go right untill you get to a y in the road on the right hand side there is a camp site go in there and thats it.

NEAREST TOWN: randle

NEAREST ROAD: 77 line in gifford pinchot ntnl forest

OBSERVED: Well it was about 8:30 in the morning I got up in to relive myself from the night, as i got out the tent I heard BIG steps, only four but it sounded like somebody was really pounding there feat in the ground going up the hill.
I had my gun with me and told my girlfriend there is something big over there knowing I had A bear tag I looked over and over.
About an fifteen minutes later I resumed making coffee and my breakfast about 9:30 to 10:00a.m. I started hearing this pounding like something taking a rock and hiting a tree over and over then pauses then hitting again I asked my girl friend who was still in the tent in a whisper "Hay, hay did you hear that" she said "what" I said"listen" and she heard it too then it stopped I heard steps in the woods then the steps stopped I just had an fealing I was being watched I then packed up and went home.

ALSO NOTICED: the night before my dog was growling which she doesn't do very much I have animals at my house and she just wants to play with them

OTHER WITNESSES: my girl friend was listning

OTHER STORIES: About two years ago my same girl friend was in the the same spot and heard this oooooooooohhhhhhh ooooohhhh ooooohhhh for like 2 in a half days straight I ask a friend he said it was a owl in mating, but for 2 in a half days staight I don't know

TIME AND CONDITIONS: 8:30 to 10:00

ENVIRONMENT: hilly, very dark forest, can't see not more than 20 yards in some spots a lot of old growth and dead trees.

After interviewing the witness, there are three things that stand out about this report.

First, the evening of Sunday September 2nd, it was reported that the bird dog belonging to the witness spotted something in the woods which made it go "on point", and also frightened it so badly that it was shaking. They ended up putting the dog in the truck.

Second, when the witness awoke on Monday morning, September 3rd, he hear four loud footsteps of something big walking away from his camp site.

Third, both the witness and his girlfriend heard wood knocks for about 20 minutes starting around an hour after the heavy footsteps. The pattern was such that it could not have been a woodpecker or other cause.

Based on these three facts, I can only conclude that the witness and his girlfriend had a class B encounter with a sasquatch. It is very likely that they were observed through the night.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:17 am 

Quote:
Report # 13115 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Thursday, November 24, 2005. Daylight sighting by a backpacker on Silver Star Mountain (See Photos)
YEAR: 2005

DATE: 17

LOCATION DETAILS: Top of Silver Star Mountain.

NEAREST TOWN: Washougal, Wa.

NEAREST ROAD: Service road 4109

OBSERVED: I was looking to the south from the summit of Silver Star Mountain. On the ridge across from me I saw something I thought looked a little strange. I got out my camera and took some pictures.

Right after I took the first shot it moved or stood up so I took another picture. It then moved towards the south, away from me. I then had to reajust because the wind was so strong. It was difficult to move because the snow was waist deep.

I got closer to a rock to steady myself and took another picture. It was then was moving down the hill.

I don't think it was another backpacker or snowshoer.

OTHER WITNESSES: No one else there.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: 4:30 to 5:00 pm Clear and cool

ENVIRONMENT: It was cold and windy but very clear. On a ridge. I have pictures to show the type of day and location.
Quote:
Interesting Photos
Date : November 17, 2005

Attachment:
29_crop_Silver_Star_Mt._029.jpg
29_crop_Silver_Star_Mt._029.jpg [ 34.12 KiB | Viewed 6119 times ]

Attachment:
29_icon_Silver_Star_Mt._029.jpg
29_icon_Silver_Star_Mt._029.jpg [ 40.44 KiB | Viewed 6119 times ]

Attachment:
30_crop_Silver_Star_Mt._030.jpg
30_crop_Silver_Star_Mt._030.jpg [ 30.08 KiB | Viewed 6119 times ]

Attachment:
30_icon_Silver_Star_Mt._030.jpg
30_icon_Silver_Star_Mt._030.jpg [ 38.94 KiB | Viewed 6119 times ]

Attachment:
sterner_silver_star.jpg
sterner_silver_star.jpg [ 142.22 KiB | Viewed 6119 times ]

Attachment:
map_link.jpg
map_link.jpg [ 69.91 KiB | Viewed 6119 times ]

November 17, 2005 - outside Yacolt, WA

A backpacker from Vancouver, Washington, took these photos on Silver Star Mountain in Gifford Pinchot National Forest on November 17.

He says he doesn't know what the figure was, but he does not believe it was another hiker or backpacker.

The photos are inconclusive, but they are potentially relevant.

The figure you see could be a sasquatch. The silhouette is comparable to the lanky silhouette in the Marble Mountains footage. It also looks similar to some eyewitness sketches.

As in the Marble Mountains footage , there's nothing in the outline to indicate that it's another person (except for the upright posture). There's no lines indicating clothing or a pack. The lump on the neck could easily be a clump of hair, similar to what you can see in the PGF.

Most snowshoers or backpackers in these conditions would look different than this silhouette. It will be useful to compare images of an equipped snowshoer or backpacker standing at this same spot at the same time of day. We're hoping a few different people will heed our recommendation and go up there to get some comparison photos.

The terrain and present conditions helps and hinders attempts to get more photos/footage in this area. Deep snow on the ridges makes it more difficult for a photographer to move around up there, but it also makes it easier to spot trackways and movement.

It won't hurt to suggest to people in Washougal and Yacolt to carry a camera when driving around.

BFRO investigator John Callender interviewed witness (initials RC) near his home on Friday, November 25, 2005.

John says, in his opinion, RC is honest and credible. His locale and normal activities would have put him in a position to get these photos. The story and photos do not appear to be hoaxed.

The photos shown above left, were down-sized and compressed versions of the original digital images. The actual full size original images would fill your entire screen.

We did have the originals linked to the images on the upper left for some time. We had to de-link them recently (early March 2006) because of their large file size. Too many people were downloading these 300KB+ images, or posting direct links to these images on message boards around the world. That's not a bad thing, but it was bogging down the server. It was the main factor that led to the most recent, temporary shutdown of the BFRO site.

We will still make those originals available, but not by clicking images. That's too easy. It leaves us vulnerable to Asian "tsunamis" -- a huge wave of hits from Asia.

Occassionally the BFRO site is mentioned on television shows and major web sites in Japan, China, Malaysia, and India. When that happens our server gets hit by a huge wave of hits from Asia, which will cause the site to shut down.

If you can figure out the instructions below, you will be able to get the originals:

In a browser window, go to the BFRO homepage, then add the following to the URL: /avevid/calender/Silver_Star_Mt._029_orig.jpg

To see the other one, change 029 to 030.

The originals were copied by our own investigator straight off RC's digital camera.

The clarity of these shots is nowhere near Patty, but the images are clearer than any frames in the Manitoba footage.

The shape, the location and the circumstances, make the photos interesting enough to release publicly.

Obviously there's a potential for more photos like these in this area. The area is inaccessible to most people for much of the year, and there's little risk of the area being overrun by people during the rest of the year.

The photographer is allowing these photos to be reprinted in legitimate, serious newspapers -- any non-entertainment newspapers, or news web sites, or wire services (e.g. AP, AFP, Reuters, BBC, etc.). In other words, they cannot be freely reprinted in tabloids, or newsletters, or magazines, or books. The large versions of the images linked above are the original images from the digital cameras. Those originals can be saved, and re-sized, and reprinted without asking us permission, but only for the specific publishing mediums defined above.

Other uses must be approved by the photographer. Please email us at Contact@BFRO.net to make those types of arrangements. We want the photographer to get paid if there's any commercialized publishing involved.
Copyright © 2011 BFRO.net

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator John G. Callender:

Click here for the page showing the photos, and mentioning follow up recommendations.

I drove to Vancouver, WA last night and met with the witness and his son regarding this report. He is 48 years old. He does a lot of solo backpacking.

On the day of November 17, 2005, he decided to solo backpack at Silver Star Mountain, just north of Washougal, WA.

While on the summit he noticed a rock that looked strange and out of place. He said, “I’ve been up there enough to know every big rock along the way, and this rock didn’t look like something that I’ve seen there before”.

He got out his camera (a Sony 3.2 mega pixel) and took a photo. As he was doing this the figure suddenly stood up and started moving.

The witness ("RC") felt that he wasn’t in the best position for additional photos so he moved along the trail as far as he could move. He was in waist-deep snow. He noticed that it was much more difficult for him to move than the figure. The figure seem to step around easily in the snow.

He was able to shoot two additional photos before it disappeared out of sight over the top of the hill.

The witness stated he never attempted to look for tracks. The snow was too deep at the summit to move around easily.

About BFRO Investigator John G. Callender:

John Callender hails from Mississippi where he received a BA degree in Accounting from the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss). He now resides in Seattle, WA where he works as a pilot for a major airline. John has done extensive field work in the Pacific Northwest, as well as Mississippi, and he has attended the following expeditions: WA - Oly Pen (Aug. '04); New Mexico (Jicarilla Apache SEP '04); WA - Oly Pen (October '04); CA - Redwoods (May '05); WA -Oly Pen -3, (AUG '05 ); WA Cascades Expedition (AUG '06); Central Oregon Expedition (JUNE '07), BC, Vancouver Island Expedition (SEPT 2007), WA Cascades Expedition (June '09), 2009 Washington Olympic Peninsula Expedition

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:18 am 

Quote:
Report # 13183 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Thursday, December 01, 2005. Campers hear possible vocalizations at night near Kalama Horse Camp
YEAR: 2005

MONTH: August

DATE: 19

LOCATION DETAILS: From Olympia, Washington, take I-5 south to exit 21. Take exit 21 at Woodland and take WA-503 east towards Cougar. Follow WA-503 about 28 miles (just before Cougar) and take a left on Forest Service Road 81 towards Merrill Lake and Kalama Horse Camp. We took a small gravel turnoff near the Kalama Horse Camp and camped right near the Kalama River.

NEAREST TOWN: Cougar

NEAREST ROAD: Forest Service Road 81

OBSERVED: It was early to mid-August when myself and 4 friends decided to camp in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Around dusk, we heard something in the trees near our campsite. Whatever it was walked through the brush quite loudly. We figured it was a bear and made noise and scared it away. Later that night, however, we began to hear some sort of scream. None of us knew what it was, but we all agreed it was like nothing we've ever heard. It was very dark and we decided not to try and find out what the noise was, as it was quite some distance away. Until recently, we still wondered what we heard, but then we listened to vocalizations on this website and heard the same sounds. What we heard was very similar to the 1978 Snohomish County recording. We now believe that we heard at least 1 sasquatch howling that night we were camping.

ALSO NOTICED: Only the noises in the bushes that we attributed to bears.

OTHER WITNESSES: Besides myself, 4 other friends heard the howls. We were all sitting around the campfire when we began to hear them.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Early evening into late night. The weather was clear. Very warm during the day and mild at night.

ENVIRONMENT: There was think pine forest surrounding us. The Kalama River flowed right by our campsite. We were very near the Kalama Horse Camp.

I spoke with the witness regarding his experience for approximately forty minutes.

He and four buddies wanted to “just get away” and go camping before returning to college.

They initially wanted to camp at the Kalama Horse camp, but they were turned away since they didn’t have horses, so they drove down a gravel road until they found a place to camp near the Kalama River. They arrived around 5:00 P. M. and decided to cook hamburgers for dinner using a camp stove. Even though they hadn’t seen any sign of bears, they were all aware of the possibility of bears in the area, so they made every effort to keep all food products out of reach of bears.

The witness told me that not long after they started cooking hamburgers they detected movement in the nearby brush as if an animal was approaching. When I asked him to elaborate on what they heard, he said it “sounded heavy” and that “it was definitely something big”. He emphasized the approach seemed very slow and deliberate.

The witness said the noise of the approaching animal was heard twice in the span of ten to fifteen minutes. As they heard the noise the first time, they walked toward the brush and the noise stopped as they approached the brush. After a short time, they walked away from the brush and sat back down. As they did, they heard the noise a second time and the witness thinks at this point whatever was in the brush walked away and left.

He said they never smelled anything unusual nor “felt” anything unusual.

As the evening went on, they sat around the fire and talked until around 11:00 P.M. At this point they were getting ready to turn in when one of the guys in the group asked the rest of the group if they heard what sounded like a woman screaming in the distance.

The witness estimates the screaming was from a distance of approximately one mile away. He said they were aware that there were people staying at the horse camp, but they don’t believe the screams came from anywhere near the horse camp.

The witness said that he feels like what they heard was only one animal screaming. He said the screams didn’t last very long and he was of the impression that “something was out there communicating with something else way off”. He went on to say that he didn’t feel like “the animal was screaming at us”.

The witness was drawn to the BFRO site after a friend noticed the photos from Silver Star Mountain on the BFRO site. They also listened to some of the sounds on the site and he said the Snohomish scream from 1978 sounded almost identical to what they heard while camping. He said that when he heard the Snohomish scream on the BFRO website, it “sent shivers down my spine”.

John Callender hails from Mississippi where he received a BA degree in Accounting from the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss). He now resides in Seattle, WA where he works as a pilot for a major airline. John has done extensive field work in the Pacific Northwest, as well as Mississippi, and he has attended the following expeditions: WA - Oly Pen (Aug. '04); New Mexico (Jicarilla Apache SEP '04); WA - Oly Pen (October '04); CA - Redwoods (May '05); WA -Oly Pen -3, (AUG '05 ); WA Cascades Expedition (AUG '06); Central Oregon Expedition (JUNE '07), BC, Vancouver Island Expedition (SEPT 2007), WA Cascades Expedition (June '09), 2009 Washington Olympic Peninsula Expedition

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:19 am 

Quote:
Report # 7593 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Friday, December 19, 2003. Stevenson Ridge vocalization startles father and son
YEAR: 1978

MONTH: August

DATE: Saturday

NEAREST TOWN: Stevenson

NEAREST ROAD: Loop Road

OBSERVED: It was on a warm summer night in 1978, as I was watching television at about 11 pm, that my father and I heard some loud, high-pitched screams coming from the forest behind our house. The screams only went on for a minute or so, but what surprised me was that my father, who has lived in Stevenson his entire life and knows the woods and the local animals well, did not have any idea what was making that sound. I was 17 at the time, but just recently, my teen age daughter, who has an interest in such matters, played me the 1978 Snohomish County recording of
Bigfoot calls, and I have to admit I got a chill from hearing it, because it was, to my recollection, just what I heard on that summer night in August of '78. She urged me to file a report with the BFRO, even though it's "ancient history" by now. My father and I did go out on the porch and look around a bit upon hearing the screams, but did not leave the area of the house in the darkness.

OTHER WITNESSES: My father. We were in the house watching television, all windows open.

OTHER STORIES: I have since moved from the area, but my father still tells me of incidents of "heavy breathing" being heard from the woods surrounding the house on rare summer nights.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: About 11 pm in the evening, typical summer night in Skamania County, about 75-80 degrees, no clouds.

ENVIRONMENT: Incident occured in a cleared field where our home is located, which is surrounded by Douglas fir forest (2nd growth) climbing up to a ridge on the northern side. There is a creek bordering the western side.

A & G References: A and G Pg 24 C 1.5

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Jim Von Lossow:

I spoke with the witness by phone. He was able to add additional information. One vocalization was heard that night, beginning low in tone, gradually rising in volume and pitch, then ending abruptly . He stated it lasted three to four seconds and was extremely powerful and easily heard above the sound of the TV. The call came from the northeast, behind the house up on the ridgeline. The father and son looked at each other. "What the heck was that?" Both are familiar with all animal sounds in the area, and this was something they state unknown to them.

The home is located on the outskirts of town and has large acreage surrounding it. On the uphill ridgeline side of the home is a large field surrounded on three sides by timber. A good sized creek flanks one side, and the upper portions of the property were once orchards. Available fruit trees in season include, apple, pear, plum, cherry and walnut. The past 2 to 3 years in summer season a rhythmic, deep, repetitive breathing is heard certain evenings on the outdoor balcony. It is said to emanate from the tree line within 100 feet of the home. Night vision goggles are now in use to help identify the sounds "made by the Breathing Monster," so nicknamed by the residents. Possible seasonal gathering may occur in this area, and the family will continue to monitor activities.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:20 am 

Quote:

Report # 9946 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Tuesday, December 07, 2004. Motorist Has Late Night Sighting Near Eagle Cliff
YEAR: 2004

SEASON: Winter

DATE: 29

LOCATION DETAILS: please do not post these on the internet.

NEAREST TOWN: eagle cliff

NEAREST ROAD: 503

OBSERVED: I was going for a late night drive. I drove up past Cougar on 503. When I hit snow on a couple of corners, I started to get a little nervous about driving up any farther but still I chose to keep going. I had been seeing animals all night so I was really keeping my eyes open. When I slowed down to turn around, my car died. While trying to start it I was looking forward and noticed a large object standing on the side of the road which looked like a large man but I couldn't tell because it was out of the reach of my headlights. When my car started up the object quickly turned and strided off into the timber. That's when I knew it wasn't just a tree or anything like that. I have been up in those parts of the woods a lot and never seen anything like that. When I saw it turn away from me I couldn't calm down. I was terrified - the hair on my neck was standing up. It was just not a normal feeling. I believe I saw a bigfoot standing in front of my car along the edge of the road.

ALSO NOTICED: a day after the incident some friends and I went back up there. It had snowed quite a bit so where I saw the object we stopped to look for tracks but saw nothing. Everything had been covered up. About a mile up the road we saw a set of tracks crossing the road but we could not tell what they were. They were very large but it also could have been boot tracks.

OTHER WITNESSES: I was alone. I like to drive in the hills - it helps me to relax. It wasn't my first time just driving around up there but it was definitely the first time I had been up there so late by myself. I am scared to go back up there by myself.

OTHER STORIES: I have heard of sightings and tracks being found around this area but nothing specific.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: it was about 1:30 in the morning but it seemed to be really light because of the clear night and bright moon. The snow seemed to light up the area.

ENVIRONMENT: open old growth timber, snowy and snowing

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Tom Yamarone:

I spoke with the witness by phone and have the following to add:
- His car was stalled for less than a minute and he noticed the creature when the engine started.
- Although the illumination did not allow him a clear view of the subject, he did see defined movement of the legs striding and the arms swinging as it turned and walked into the forest.
- He had seen numerous deer and elk on this drive in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest.
- The witness returned to the site 2 days later with several friends. There were track-like impressions but they could not discern any details due to snow accumulation since the sighting.
- Judging from where the creature was spotted in front of some fir trees and up a slight (5’) embankment, he estimated the height at 6 ½ to 7 feet.
- He observed the subject for 20 seconds in dim lighting conditions but at a very close distance. (approx. 20 yards)
- As he mentioned in his narrative, the encounter was unsettling for the witness and he departed the area immediately. He had no desire to return alone that evening nor since then.

Other notes:
- He is very familiar with this area as he spent a lot of time in these forests as a youth with his family on camping trips and day hikes.
- 4 years ago, they found footprints in this area.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:20 am 

Quote:
Report # 8339 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Sunday, March 21, 2004. Couple has sighting of something standing on a gravel road
YEAR: 1990-1991

MONTH: June

LOCATION DETAILS: if you can find a topo map, look for a more established road on a slight incline, bending to left, with a less established road (logging?) going straight at apex of bend, and slightly dropping in elevation. Well wooded. Cannot remember any other road details

NEAREST TOWN: Iron Creek Campground

NEAREST ROAD: Campground roads

OBSERVED: My wife (now-ex) and I were camping at Iron Creek campground, mid summer, and decided to go for a drive. The exact area cannot be remembered at this time, but it was a couple hours before dark approx 6:30-7:00 P.M., and we were traveling down a dirt road, that inclined and turned slightly to the left, and there was a branch (logging) road that dropped slightly down and to the right as the main road went left. As we were traveling about 25 MPH, i glanced down the side road, and about 75 feet down the logging road, in the middle of that road was an erect standing creature, approximately 6.5 to 7 feet tall. Dark brown, almost black. I did not slow or stop, mostly because I was only armed with a .380 cal auto, and driving a compact mazda 626. Not too much of a defensive position to take. It was clear outside, comfortable 70-75 degrees, and no rain for days prior. As we went further, we couldn't really understand what was seen. And by the time we processed what we saw, we decided to just keep moving.

ALSO NOTICED: none noted

OTHER WITNESSES: 1 ex-spouse

OTHER STORIES: none known

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Clear, 2 hrs before dusk. No previous rain, not much of a breeze. Overall comfortable and sunny

ENVIRONMENT: Well established Evergreen and Deciduous Forest with steep rolling terrain

Follow-up investigation report:

Had a long discussion with witness about his sighting that day and this is what was relayed.

They had decided to go for a drive away from the campground, he and his wife, now divorced, were unfamiliar with the road system and saw a loop road that would bring them back to the camping area.

While he was driving he looked to his right out the passenger window down one of the roads and noticed a rusty brown colored, two legged object standing in the middle of a graveled road at most 100 feet away. His wife had seen the object standing in the road, and turned to him with the same expression that was on his face. It was clear to him that she had seen the same thing.

They continued down the road, did not stop. He was unsure what subject may have done to them if they had stopped. "What I solidly believe was a bigfoot standing there, but did not know at that time if it would have harmed us if we went back, so we kept going."

You never went back to see if it was still there?
"No, I did not know its intentions."

What was it doing?
"Standing there full profile, right shoulder towards us"

Did attempt to walk away?
"No, it just stood there"

Did it see the vehicle as you drove by?
No, it kept looking towards the way it was facing."

Witnesses stayed at the campground a couple more days without incident. At no time did they go back to find any tracks or other details about what was standing in the road.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:21 am 

Quote:
Report # 9005 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Sunday, July 18, 2004. Large bridge found crossing creekbed
YEAR: 2000

SEASON: Winter

MONTH: December

NEAREST TOWN: Mt. St. Helens

OBSERVED: Me and two friends of mine decided to go hiking at the base of Mt. St. Helens, for a couple of reasons, first we loved the outdoors, and secondly, me and one of my friends were hoping for some sort of sighting (other friend doesn't believe). We started walking from a snow-park, that i can't remember the name of, but it is directly at the base of the mountain. we probably hiked about 3 or 4 miles into the thick, old growth forest. There was probably 4-5" of snow on the ground, and it was a beautiful day. On the drive up we saw several trees that were twisted about 10-12' above the base. when we were walking, the first unordinary thing i noticed was a creek bed. the strange thing about the bed, was that it had all the little saplings and other small trees tore down around it and woven over the water, so that you could walk across it without getting wet. all over the woods we found more and more "dismantled" trees, and i thought it was very strange since i grew up in Home Valley Wa, in the middle of the woods, and had never seen anything like this in my adventures as a child. as we carried on, we noticed a bunch of bare foot prints. none of them looked to awful recent, because the had probably a 1/2" of fresh snow over them, but i could still destinctivley tell what the were. i wear a size 11 1/2 boot, and these prints dwarfed my foot, with a boot on. the big toe on these prints were close to the size of my heel. we tried to take pictures, but the didn't turn out very well, because of the glare of the snow. we also had a tape measure and the largest print i remember measured out to 21" in length.

OTHER WITNESSES: there were 2 other people along with me, and they were right by my side the whole time. we also had a dog with us

TIME AND CONDITIONS: it was mid day, 2-5 pm, weather was clear and sunny, but cold.

ENVIRONMENT: it was very thick old growth forest.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:22 am 

Quote:
Report # 10646 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Tuesday, February 15, 2005. Elk hunter hears loud screams at night near Deadman's Lake
YEAR: 2004

DATE: 15

LOCATION DETAILS: Goat mountain trail #217, 6 miles (I don't think it was that far) to Deadman's Lake. Southeast end of lake.

NEAREST TOWN: Cougar, WA

NEAREST ROAD: forest road 26 by the Ryan Lake interpretive site, Mount St. Helens National Volcano Monument

OBSERVED: I had backpacked into Deadman's Lake for a one night stay. It was during the Washington bow season for elk.

As I was heading in I ran into two hunters on the trail hunting down to their vehicle to dry out and stay in their camper. They told me that a group had been hunting in the area but had to leave because there horses were acting up.

As I got to the lake I could tell that the horses had been kept in a small meadow near the campsite area. I pitched my tent in this area. I was at the lake doing a little fishing before dark when I heard a howl way off in the distance. I didn't think much of it, it was miles away. There were also several bull elk bugling in the hills behind the lake and at one point I could hear some cow elk "talking".

Being an elk hunter myself, I am very familiar with the sounds elk make during this time of year. That was one of the reasons I had gone to this area was to try to call in and get pictures of the elk. As night fell I stayed up until approximately 9:00 PM listening to the sounds of the woods. I could hear a couple owls hooting back and forth across the lake as I fell asleep.

At 11:24 PM I was awoken by the same screaming howl I had heard before but it sounded like it was coming from the meadow I was camped next to, about 50 yards away. It sounded like a cross between a wolf and a very loud human. It sounded as if it were a hailing call.

I opened the front flap of the tent and grabbed my light and the only weapon I had, my knife. I also grabbed the camera just in case I could see something. The howl had also scared the two owls I had heard hooting earlier that evening. The owls continued to call back and forth to each other for a time after that but I never heard the howl again.

I stayed awake for hours after that and eventually was able to relax and get some sleep. I woke up that morning to the sound of bugling elk and when it got light enough I went to look for any sign of what I had heard the night before. I found a herd of cow elk by the lake but nothing unusual. The weather started turning about this time so I packed up my stuff and headed back to my car.

ALSO NOTICED: Nothing found the next day. I tried to get back into the area but Mount St. Helens became active after this and the area was closed down by the forest service.

OTHER WITNESSES: No witnesses

TIME AND CONDITIONS: 11:24 PM. I looked at my wrist watch when I heard the sound. Clear night, no moon that I saw. There was ice on the tent in the morning.

ENVIRONMENT: Heavy timber with a meadow on the lake.

The witness is 41 years old and is an avid elk hunter, and has been for over twenty years. He also gets out and hikes fairly remote areas. He says in over twenty years in the woods he has never heard anything like what he heard up there.

He said the scream seemed to start just prior to 11:30 P. M. from an open meadow approximately twenty yards from his campsite. The scream was high-pitched and loud enough to wake him from a sound sleep. It reminded him of a sound he's heard gibbons make. It frightened him enough that he nearly left his campsite and went home that night.

The duration of the scream was estimated to be approximately five to ten seconds. After the scream two owls nearby started hooting a lot as if they had been disturbed by the noise. He also mentioned that the scream was predominately a high-pitched scream, but he also noticed a low toned "vibe" that seemed to be part of the scream.

The area in which this scream was heard has had a long history of bigfoot related reports.