Hello to our Guest
Welcome to the Mid-America Bigfoot Research Center Forums!
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

This forum will sometimes contain copyrighted information, however, it is placed here under Title 17

Not withstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

Post subject: BFRO STEVENS COUNTY
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:06 am 
MABRC Forum Administrator, MABRC Western Oklahoma State Director, Mid-South Regional Assistant Director
MABRC Forum Administrator, MABRC Western Oklahoma State Director, Mid-South Regional Assistant Director

Medals: 32
Quote:
Report # 3673 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Monday, January 21, 2002. Woman finds large tracks on her property near Clayton, Wa
YEAR: 2001

SEASON: Fall

MONTH: September

DATE: 10th

STATE: Washington

COUNTY: Stevens County

LOCATION DETAILS: Until I show these pictures to someone, I'd rather not, but when the time comes, I can show you exactly where the prints came out of the woods and aproximately where they went back in.

NEAREST TOWN: Clayton

NEAREST ROAD: Jones Road

OBSERVED: I observed and took pictures of footprints on the road on my property in Eastern Washington. I would like to have someone take a look at my pictures (I have scanned them and can e-mail them to you if you'd like).

OTHER WITNESSES: 3-we were walking up the road planning future power and water sources.

OTHER STORIES: It's in a place called "Bigfoot Valley"

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Weather had been very dry. Soil was dry and powdery.

Follow-up investigation report:

The witness was getting estimates from a person from the power company, when he looked down in the powdery soil and noticed a large human-like print. He brought it to witness' attention and she was stunned by the size of the print. He put his boot down next to the print and got an estimation of about a boot size 11. "But the weird thing about this print was that it was deep in the soil, we were making tracks but this thing was heavy, its track was well into the soil, as deep as the elk tracks that were next to it."

"I am not a tracker, but I followed these tracks for a bit and notice that the stride was longer than any persons. At first, I thought it was my neighbors trying to scare me off the property but they would have to go to great strides and detail to pull this off. There was no way that someone could have been pulling this joke off."

"At one time these tracks went to a viewpoint off the side of the road."

Q&A
Q: What do you mean?
A: “The tracks had a great stride to them and then the prints came together, like it stood in one spot and then looked out over the valley and then continued on down the road for a few more steps and then left the road and that is when I lost them.”

Q: Any thing else you noticed?
A: "Yeah, it walked through a bunch of sticker bushes or thistle bushes. Why would it walk through that, when someone like me would just walk around them? It was the strangest thing."

Q: Has anything else happened since you spotted the tracks?
A: "One night a friend and I went up there and we slept in different tents. In the middle of the night I heard something."

Q: What did you hear?
A: "I heard something take in a lot of air around our campfire, it was almost out."

Q: Were you cooking anything at the time?
A: "It was some time ago...let me think.... we had chili that night and rinsed out the cans and dumped the water around the fire.”

“It could have been a bear or an elk, but this had a big chest cavity by the amounts of air I heard it take in."

Q: Do you still plan on building on the property?
A: "Yes, I have been wanting to complete this project for awhile.”

Even though the witness was not sure about what she had heard the night she spent on the property. The tracks she had seen years before were definitely not those of a bear or any other animal or human.

Post subject: Re: BFRO STEVENS COUNTY
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:07 am 

Quote:

Report # 898 (Class A)
Submitted by witness David B. on Sunday, December 10, 2000. Young hunter sees an upright walking animal
YEAR: 1984

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: July

DATE: 8

LOCATION DETAILS: 1/4 to 1/2 mile W of Lake Roosevelt. 5 miles NW of Old Dominion Mt.

NEAREST TOWN: Orient

NEAREST ROAD: Gravel road adjoining our property

OBSERVED: On Kelly Hill Mt., my 16 year-old son left an evening family Barbeque group to go grouse hunting in the immediate vicinity. He ran back to the group a few minutes later, white around his lips, very shaken up and scared to report: "I just saw a tall, dark, hairy thing step over the fence (4-wires high)." After a few questions as to "where and when" it happened, my son-in-law, my son, and myself headed out to the location.

We all noted a very strong, pungent odor in the area of the occurence. Upon looking in the tall grass, we saw where the grass had been pressed down but saw no clear print(s). We were all well-armed and searched the area for several minutes, only to find nothing......except to smell the pungent odor, which lingered. Whatever had been there had left the vicinity.

My son told us the "thing" was walking upright, had long hair "all over" and said "it stepped over the fence" and was "real tall". He said it "walked like a man".

We three went back up the hill to our barbeque and decided it would be of no use to tell the locals, because they'd laugh at us. For certain though, we told other family members at the fireside, all five of them.

ALSO NOTICED: Pressed down grass where steps (tracks) had been, strong pungent (sickly) odor. Creature had quickly left the area where sighted.

OTHER WITNESSES: Having a family Barbeque. Myself...wife...my 16 year-old son...my daughter...my son-in-law....2 grandsons, ages 6 & 8. EIGHT OF US, all total

OTHER STORIES: A Bigfoot had crossed HWY. 395 at the Bossburg area, and a local, Colville Veterinarian had a Bigfoot print (approx. 16" x 6") hanging on the wall of his business, taken at the site. An interested group had come to the Bossburg site, taken print-casts, and set up cameras to capture possible future croassings. This occured prior to my son's episode & a few miles (5) NW.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Summertime, (6:00 PM) clear weather, before sundown. Plenty of light for my hunter-son to be safely out-and-about and still good daylight....else I would not have allowed him to leave the campsite alone. (The sighting was only about 100 yds. from our campsite).

ENVIRONMENT: Forested area, about 1/2 mile east of the Kelly Hill Gravel Quarry and westerly, uphill from the Columbia River about one mile.

A & G References: Pg. 118, C2
T37N R24E

Follow-up investigation report:

I spoke with R. B., David's father about the incident in the report. He had a few things to add:

1. The smell was likened to "rotten eggs and old gym socks".

2. The son estimated the creature's height to his father as 7 - 8 feet.

3. This was his son's 2nd close encounter with this type of animal. R.B. will either post the 1st encounter himself or have his son do so. The first encounter had a similar animal press it's face up against the bathroom glass window to look in.

4. There was a large (50sq yard area) of wild blackberries that his son was near when encountering this animal. He may have interrupted the animal's visit to the site.

5. The grass where the tracks of this animal seemed to be was 8 - 10" high.

I found the retelling of the incident by the father to be very compelling.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:07 am 

Quote:
Report # 1113 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Friday, January 05, 2001. Northeast Washington resident sees a bigfoot looking in the window
YEAR: 1981

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: July

DATE: 2

LOCATION DETAILS: Area is located off Onion Creek Road.

NEAREST TOWN: Colville, Washington

NEAREST ROAD: Onion Creek Road

OBSERVED: In late June/early July (before the 4th) of 1981. I was staying at a friends home in the Colville Washington area. I was sleeping on the floor near the window, in the downstairs bedroom of my friends home. The windows are tall and narrow grouped three below and three above with a heavy wood beam dividing them. the second set of windows are 7-8 feet from the outside ground. I awoke to the sound of a loud grumbling/humming type noise, hard to describe and unlike anything I had ever heard before.

I looked up and saw something looking in the upper window. I saw a shoulder and arm and side of hand as if someone were cupping it to look in. I saw only an outline, but the head was large with wide neck and broad shoulders, arm looked very muscular. I was terrified, trying to wake my friend who was in a nearby bed, A .30-06 was located on the other side of the room where she could reach it, but I could not and I was too scared to go for it. My friend did not fully wake and see this incident, but mumbled something about it possibly being a drunk neighbor who sometimes came around. My friend rolled over and went back to sleep. I had met this neighbor previously and he was about 5'11, and very skinny, this was not the neighbor. In order to see into this window the "thing" would have to be very tall, at least seven feet tall and there is no object outside for it to stand on. The "thing" looked in for about a minute ( I am guessing at the length of time, I was very frightened) , then left, I heard it walking outside around the side of the house. I heard it walk into the woods and resume making the deep singsong type humming sound. When my husband and friends husband returned from their nightshift at work the next morning, we looked for prints or any indentations and found nothing as the dirt was packed hard. I know this was not the neighbor, but cannot say for sure what it was, only that it was big and I was very frightened.

ALSO NOTICED: October of 1984 or 85. We now owned a cabin about a quarter mile from home mentioned above. One evening between 11:30-midnight, I let our puppy out for walk and was standing on the porch waiting for it to do it's business. I heard a scream, not a cat, not any animal I have heard before. The dog freaked out and ran into the house and would not go back out. I heard two or three scream altogether. I was not scared as it did not seem close, but I went back into the house.

OTHER WITNESSES: Self, friend was present, but half asleep and did not see what I saw.

OTHER STORIES: Heard stories about various sightings in the area, but nothing specific and all second hand.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Aproximately 2:30 am. Clear night with partial moon.

ENVIRONMENT: Incident took place at a friends home located about 45 minutes from Colville. Property is located near the Colville National Forest and Colville Indian Reservation. Area is heavily treed with Pondersa Pine, Fir and dense underbrush. This particular home has a visible yard, flower garden and driveway. Nearest neighbor is a quarter mile away.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:08 am 

Quote:
Media Article # 142
Article submitted by Richard Noll

Friday, April 02, 1971

New 'Bigfoot' Hoax

S.F. Examiner (pg. 10)

Colville (Wash.) - (UPI) -

An enterprising hoaxer says he manufactured the latest set of tracks of the legendary Pacific Northwest monster "Bigfoot".

"We made a Bigfoot, Middlefoot and a Littlefoot," said Ray Pickens, 39, a bricklayer from Colville, where the tracks of the 8-foot-5-inch manlike beasts were spotted in February.

Pickens said he made a set of stilts, nailed them to a pair of boots and trotted off through the snow and mud. The resulting excitement brought dozens of hunters to the area to search for the monster, also known as Sasquatch.

The existence of the hairy beast has been hotly debated in the Northwest for years and the National Wildlife Conservation Society is financing a one-year hunt for Sasquatch during 1971.

Ivan Marx, a veteran guide, said after the Colville area tracks were found in February there was no doubt in his mind they were real. Marx claims he once took 70 feet of motion picture film of a Sasquatch.

Marx was unavailable for comment after Pickens' disclosures, but the guide recently asked to be let out of his contract with the Society and went off its payroll at the end of March.

Pickens said he once made a model of the beast once out of plywood painted brown and smeared with dirt.

"I took it out into the back yard and took its picture," Pickens said. "and had a real hard time convincing people it wasn't real when I showed the picture around town."

Quote:
Media Article # 131

Thursday, April 01, 1971

The confessions of a Colville Sasquatch

Seattle Times

Colville, Stevens County - AP

Sasquatch tracks which have appeared around Colville since mid-February were not Sasquatch tracks, says a bricklayer who "just wanted to show that anybody could fake them."

Besides going to the woods on six occasions to "make tracks," Ray L. Pickens, 39, said yesterday he also made a 7-foot-4 plywood likeness of the legendary beast.

"It was just wood, painted brown with a little dirt thrown on. I carried it out right behind my house and snapped a picture under the trees," Pickens said.

"I showed the picture around town and had a real hard time convincing people the creature wasn't real. I had a hard time to keep from laughing,” he said.

The tracks were cut from lumber and nailed to boots, said Pickens, who lives south of Colville.

"I wore the first set just after I made them February 13th, Then the Sasquatch hunters around here started saying there was a family of the creatures. So besides Big Foot, we made Middle Foot and Little Foot," he said.

The "Sasquatch feet" measured 16, 14 and 12 inches and each set weighed about 11 pounds, he said.

Pickens declined to name the individuals who wore "Middle Foot" and "Little Foot" but he said they were an adult and a child.

"The stride I made was about 54 inches - not at all hard to make. You can do the same - just trot."

"We weren't really concerned about stride. We just decided to make some tracks, look at 'em, laugh and go home." said Pickens.

He said "hundreds of people" have found out about the fake tracks and "They've encouraged us to keep doing it". Pickens said he "concocted" the idea of manufacturing the Sasquatch feet "about a year ago after some were spotted" near Bossburg, a short distance from Colville.

"I think someone else made those," he said.

"I've never denied making the tracks. If someone asked me, I'd say 'You bet' and then they'd want to know more." Pickens said.

"Before I started, I checked with an attorney to see if there was anything wrong with it and I was told there wasn't" he said.

"I'll give up on it now, but I've proved my point."
Bibliographical Information:

A picture of this wooden figure appears in Dr. Grover Krantz's book "Bigfoot/Sasquatch Evidence", page 294, Figure 2. It has a caption reading:

"What is it? This photograph was discovered, already old, somewhere in western Washington in 1971. There is no information on it's origin, and no one has shown clearly that it is, or is not, a sasquatch."

Quote:
Media Article # 128

Thursday, April 01, 1971

Sasquatch Tracks Reported

Seattle Times

Colville, Stevens County -

A man who has spent many years looking for the legendary Sasquatch says he thinks he's nearing his goal.

The most recent search by Rene Dahinden of British Columbia for the giant, hairy, man-like creature has been in the rugged country of northwestern Washington.

"We found more than a thousand clear tracks in fresh snow near the shore of Franklin D. Roosevelt Lake," he said. The lake is a reservoir backed up on the Columbia River by the Grand Coulee Dam.

"The left foot track was 17 1/2 inches long," Dahinden said. "The right was 16 1/2 inches. It was twisted, a toe was missing, and there were a couple of bumps along the outside of the foot. A veterinarian said it appears the foot was crushed at one time."

Dahinden said he plans to use jeeps, boats, an aircraft and tranquilizer guns in his search.

He said he expects to find a creature eight feet tall, with a crippled right foot.

There have been several reported sightings of the Sasquatch in Washington in recent months, but searches have not confirmed existence of the beast.

AP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:09 am 

Quote:
Media Article # 124

Wednesday, March 17, 1971

Sasquatch Footprints Found Near Colville

AP

Colville, Wash. -

Even the skeptics now wonder if the elusive ape-like Sasquatch lurks in their midst.

To local believers, fresh reports Tuesday of the giant animal's presence simply confirm what they claim to have known all along:

That the creature known variously as the Sasquatch, Bigfoot or Ohma, roams the mountains near this Northwestern Washington logging town.

New so-called evidence Tuesday turned out both the skeptics and the believers.

Dozens of footprints - some measuring 16 inches long, with stride averaging about 50 inches - were found in grain fields and at the community dump in Arden, a village just south of Colville.

W. W. Wendt, a state wildlife agent, led a handful of persons to mystifying tracks at the dump.

There in semifrozen mud were numerous prints of a giant foot, complete with distinct toe outlines.

The left print showed the hint of what one investigator said was a malformation of the boxlike foot.

"They're definitely not bear tracks, or that of any other known animal," said Ivan Marx, a former big game guide turned professional Sasquatch hunter. Others agreed.

Marx, five helpers and several hunting dogs, are combing this area in a sort of minor Sasquatch expedition sponsored by the International Wildlife Conservation Society, Inc., of Washington, D.C.

The private foundation has financed a year-long search of this area for the Sasquatch.

"This animal weighs about 500 pounds," said Marx, studying the prints. "It's not nearly as big as the one I photographed."

Marx referred to a Sasquatch he claims he pictured on 16mm color film last fall in the mountains north of here near the Canadian border.

At the time he previewed the film for two newsmen and it has been seen by a number of local residents and Sasquatch buffs.

Others witnessing Tuesday's prints were William J. Harper. a U.S. Border Patrolman who, along with Wendt, spent their lunch hour investigating the tracks.

Marx said all prints in the area were made by the same animal.

The first prints made public this year were located Monday in the snow in the grainfield.

Ernie H. Sackman, a farmer who was loading hay nearby, said, "I hadn't seen the tracks, but they definitely weren't made by a man using a board to make the prints."

The band then was led to the dump where the mud prints were found. "He (Sasquatch) had been jollying around here," said Marx, referring to the scattered pattern of the tracks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:09 am 

Quote:
Media Article # 145

Thursday, February 25, 1971

Bigfoot leaves foot impression

By John Webster
Seattle Times

Last Sunday morning four men from Orton Hall went sasquatch hunting. Attracted by reports of large numbers of footprints south of Colville, the students made contact with some people in the small town of Arden who knew the location of some of the footprints.

Although they didn't find any sasquatches, the four students did get a plaster cast of one of the prints and a number of color slides of the animal's trail.

The "footprints," which were left in snow by the elusive beast, measured 16" long and about 8" wide, according to Jim Curtis II, one of the four who made the trip to Arden. Curtis said that they followed the tracks for a couple of miles until they ran out of snow.

The prints were believed by local residents to have been left sometime Friday evening, he added.

Grover Krantz, assistant professor of anthropology, explained in an interview that although there are other areas where sasquatch reports are much more common, the Arden area is unique for its unusually good stretches of footprints.

He said that for the last year a hunter in the area has been working for a group of people doing research for the International Wildlife Conservation Society. The hunter has been attempting to capture a sasquatch for them with the use of a gun that fires tranquilizer darts.

So far, said Krantz, the hunter has been able to identify the tracks of five different "individuals." The newest tracks are from what he believes may be the sixth individual.

Krantz said that the newest prints are not as large as others that have been documented, some of which measure 17 to 19 1/2 inches. He added that the hunter made a color movie last October of what is believed to be a sasquatch.

He said that the hunter's film, which has not yet been released to the public, shows "an incredibly big human-like shape with brown or dark brown hair, and heavily developed shoulders and arms."

Krantz, who is doing some investigation of his own into the mystery of the sasquatch, has plaster casts of several footprints. He also has a cast of what is believed to be a hand. The "hand" is about a foot long and has four short, stubby fingers and a thumb.

Two pictures with this article:

Trackway and plaster cast

Caption reads:

"The cast (L.) of one of Bigfoot's foot impressions, as compared to a man's. The "trail" (R.) of the fabled sasquatch was followed until the snow ran out. The footprints measured 16" long and 8" wide. Photo courtesy of Tom Neitzel