Hello to our Guest
Welcome to the Mid-America Bigfoot Research Center Forums!
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

Behave Like Adults

Post subject: Pontoon Boat Researching On Table Rock Lake
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:25 pm 
MABRC Organizational Member

Need some opinions on what else I might need while out on the pontoon boat at night. I'll be scouting areas on the lake during the day where there has been activity and also be looking for tree/limb breaks near the water. I already have 2 thermal cameras & gps. I'll be getting a night vision camera with picture/video capability, percussion block, and bionic ear. Trolling motor will make very little if any noise so I hope to not be too noticeable while waiting for what comes. Should be interesting and different from hiking the trails. :D

Post subject: Re: Pontoon Boat Researching On Table Rock Lake
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:00 pm 

Gojohn111, I will get back as soon as possible. I have out of town guests, might be a couple of days

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:29 am 
MABRC Researcher of the Year 2014
MABRC Researcher of the Year 2014

Medals: 8
Highscores: 1
Driveoperator and I did this in Texas several years ago. There were 4 of us. I operated the trolling motor on the bow of the boat, DO operated the FLIR and recorder, another person did photography and the fourth did vocalizations thru a cheerleaders megaphone. We think we had several encounters. Each encounter was preceded by large rocks being thrown at the boat from shore. Since I was at the front of the boat I was closest to shore and felt exposed. I vowed then that if we ever did that again, I would be wearing a life vest and a motorcycle helmet, incase I got beaned in the head and knocked out of the boat by one of the large rocks.

:erb:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:54 am 

I will be bringing a small voice recorder just in case I start hearing anything. Sound travels well over the water so that will help. I will have only my dog who is very quiet with me as I will be camping in the travel trailer and using our pontoon for a week. Got a camping toilet on the boat, snacks, and will have to bring plenty of patience I think with me. Also going to try & stay 75 to 100 feet from shore most of the time. If I'm discovered, I'm sure warning rocks will tell me I'm too close. Bringing an inverter to use my laptop with charging cords. Will I start hearing things right after dark or will it take after 10 or 12 oclock? I don't mind for a night or two to stay up late but I'm on vacation too and am used to getting up early for work each day. Not as young as I used to be.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:22 pm 
Forum Sr. Researcher
Forum Sr. Researcher

gojohn111 wrote:
I will be bringing a small voice recorder just in case I start hearing anything. Sound travels well over the water so that will help.

Everybody will tell you I am a newbie, but having a recorder with you at all times is SMART. I cannot tell you how many times since I have been stationed near the Mark Twain Forest I wished I had had recorded some noise or other.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:52 pm 
MABRC Forum Moderator, MABRC Missouri State Director
MABRC Forum Moderator, MABRC Missouri State Director

Medals: 5
From my experience most of the vocals start about an hour before sundown through about midnight 1 am. But that is not set in stone as there seems to be some around dawn too as well as daytime.

Yankee is right. If you have a recorder have it on and recording ALL the time you are out. They are simple to erase if you don't hear anything, but most of the time if you have to fire up the recorder as a vocal is happening it will never be recorded. If you are worried about water, put it in a ziplock bag. It doesn't muffle the sound enough to be noticeable, and will keep the moisture out. I do that all the time.

Nightwind may have some ideas of activity in that area as she is close. There is definitely some activity all around the lake from working with Nightwind and the reports from there.

Evidence Review Board Member

:erb:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:58 pm 

Nightwind wrote:
Gojohn111, I will get back as soon as possible. I have out of town guests, might be a couple of days
Gojohn111, I am working on info for your trip. I can only tell you of the families of the tall ones here . They have always been pleasant around our home. After the leaves start to fall there are sight windows to the lake. They are more active after the summer vacation camping have left. Full moons are the most fun. We can see a portion of the lake here, often see activity as the weather cools. When the windows are open, they hang out side, They interact more with what is going on here. They will stay close to the bank's, eat clams, leave foot prints, We have most activity at home. Was fishing down at the finger part of the lake, The finger was, 75 to 80 ft. wide I was in the peddle boat alone. Could hear limbs breaking, I never turned around. My family at the boat dock fishing, Saw the white run the bank to alert the ones on the concealed side of a pontoon, That there was a red truck coming in on the dirt road. My son said it sounded like the Indians of the old cow boy movies, as they were riding in
war. Like to say get the heck out of dodge.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:22 pm 

I will be camping at Mill Creek Campground where the KY3 reporter heard sounds and found the footprint last year. Thought I'd do one evening in the coves by Ridgedale MO. & Big Cedar where I have experienced things and Legends Of The Ozarks was filmed. Another evening I might visit the coves toward Eagle Rock and Viola, although I don't know how far past the Shell Knob bridge to the west I want to go at night because I normally stay near Kimberling City and Table Rock Dam area to the east. Also I'd really like to check out the Baxter Boat Dock area where I fish and is near Bread Mountain(a 1963 report). Another question, since the lake is good size and I will be in the pontoon boat, how long should I give an area before I should move on without hearing a response? Don't want to waste time if the tall ones are on the move. Like to check out as much area as possible yet being patient in these different coves. And my percussion block isn't quite as loud as I'd like. Has anyone made some 2X4's with a hinge or hit 2 small wood bats together that sounds good? Remember I'll be on the boat so going to have to make something work for me that carries well sound wise. Thanks for any help as I have about 3-4 weeks from now to get something made https://youtu.be/eDoLS5zbxPQ

Last edited by gojohn111 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:07 pm 
Forum Sr. Researcher
Forum Sr. Researcher

Despite all your precautions of being quiet, you will be seen and you will stand out like a sore thumb to them. Their nocturnal vision will see you very clearly. Therefore call blasting , knocks and whoops will only be annoying and you'll get pelted by rocks by unseen and well-hidden foes. Passive observation will get the best results; float, listen, watch and record. Now you'll have to have your running lights on or some fool will run over you or the fish and game will fine the crap out of you for being a navigation hazard . So go into it knowing you are going to be well observed and don't make yourself a nuisance to your subject or other boaters . It's a totally different ball game researching by water.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:06 pm 

Thanks for your input. This is a Corp Of Engineers' Lake. Have only seen Water Patrol out during daylight hours, emergencies and heavy boat traffic weekends. Only time I've seen them patrolling at night was July 4th weekend and holiday weekends looking for drunk boaters and unsafe boat violations. They would be the ones writing tickets(Missouri State Water Patrol) for no light violations. Game warden of course checks your fishing license and any fishing violations. I have been fishing and camping year round 40 years on this lake. I've witnessed for years and years and I also bet tonight, there will be fishermen with no lights on trolling around the coves. I'll be careful and I'm also doing this at night during the week in secluded coves on low traffic areas on the lake. Heavy tree folage and hilly terrain surrounds Table Rock so being careful(trees in the water & shallow spots) and patience will be priority. There will be no call blasting & I'm sure my whoops would probably be pitiful, so if anything I'd do knocks to get any response. Well, again thanks for your help and almost ready for my boat research next month.