Hello to our Guest
Welcome to the Mid-America Bigfoot Research Center Forums!
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

This forum will sometimes contain copyrighted information, however, it is placed here under Title 17

Not withstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

Post subject: (BFRO) CRAWFORD COUNTY
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:40 am 

Highscores: 1
Quote:
Report # 27089 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Monday, January 04, 2010.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nighttime sighting at City Lake Park outside Sullivan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YEAR: 2009

SEASON: Fall

MONTH: October

DATE: 15

STATE: Missouri

COUNTY: Crawford County

LOCATION DETAILS: The park is right off the second Sullivan exit. Is called the City Lake Park, and it is near heavy forested areas like the Meramec State park, and Mark Twain National Forrest.

NEAREST TOWN: Sullivan Missouri

NEAREST ROAD: Interstate 44

OBSERVED: This past October I was walking along Mattox Dr, by City Lake Park in Sullivan Missouri. It was around 11, 11 20 PM on a Thursday night and the park is remote and empty on a night like that. I am 29 and stand 6 foot 6 inches. My vision is 15/20 in my left eye, better than normal. As I came around the curb, I had the National Preserve, Meramec State Park to my right. As I looked ahead some 70 to 100 feet and I saw this tall monkey with long legs go by under one of the lights. I immediately looked to my right at the three line as fear overwhelmed my body. I turned around, pacing myself back towards town, trying to make sense of what I saw. It stood about 7 feet, and it was hairy, the hair of the arms was hanging 3, to 4 inches, it was the only part of the silhouette that was clearly hairy and I could notice clearly that it had ape like hairy arms. I went back to the house and researched the subject on you tube, but most of the videos showed a much heavier set creature. A lot of people that I talked to just can not believe me. Last night I came across the Jacobs video and the similarity struck me.
I know that is hard to believe what I saw and I myself was a skeptic of this phenomenon, until it happened to me. Now I know that the creature in cause exists.
Do we know why it is so elusive?
It seems that it was leaving the park when it saw me? Why would a creature so large be scared of a human?
I have no intention to gain any benefit from my experience. Thank you.

ALSO NOTICED: I walked in that park almost every evening before bed time, no other time have I witnessed anything similarly.

OTHER WITNESSES: none

OTHER STORIES: no.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Dark out, but the park lights have very powerful neon lights, and everything on the road is distinguishable, one time I even saw a baby copperhead crawling, that is how powerful the lights are.

ENVIRONMENT: The creature was walking fast from the interior of the park, towards the forest, via the lake walk way. It is close to the Ozark Corridor, Meramec River, one of the most forested areas of Missouri.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Robert Driscoll:

Spoke by phone with this witness by phone.

The witness walks in this park practically every evening and this is the first time he has experienced an actual sighting. He knows what he saw, and hopes he never encounters one again.

The sasquatch was thin, more so than other encounters reported.

Nearby Meramec State Park is known for its many caves and springs.

About BFRO Investigator Robert Driscoll:

Irish Piper, Latent Crime Scene Investigator, Retired Police Officer, MO Expedition 2009

Post subject: Re: (BFRO) CRAWFORD COUNTY
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:44 am 

Quote:
Report # 6775 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Friday, August 15, 2003.
Child has daylight sighting along Meramec River

YEAR: 1982

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: June

LOCATION DETAILS: Can't remember the exact directions to get there, my brother in law would know as he grew up in the area and has family there, but it's about mid way, on the river, between Meramec Springs and Onondaga Cave.

NEAREST TOWN: Steelville

NEAREST ROAD: Hwy 19

OBSERVED: This happened about 1982, in the area of Steelville Missouri. We were camping on the Meramac River. The group consisted of myself, my wife, my son, my daughter and a friend and his wife. The place we camped was on an elderly ladies farm. There were about 5 other campsites, all about 30 yards apart, with our campsite being on the end and closest to where the woods became thick. There was a dirt road that went from our spot into the woods a short distance. While myself and my friend were gathering fire wood, my son...about 7 at the time, sat at the beginning of the road playing in the dirt.

My wife said all of a sudden he looked down the road, jumped up and made a bee line for her, all the time yelling " Mommy a big black man. My friend and I heard him screaming and ran back to camp to see what was wrong. I know my son was young at the time, but I'd never seen him so upset. He kept repeating that he saw a big black man standing part way down the road. Now at the time, we lived in St. Louis and my son was used to seeing black people but he insisted this man was different. After we calmed him down he told us the man was real tall. Way taller than me or my friend, who was about 6'2'. He also insisted the man wasn't wearing clothes but was covered with black hair.

My friend and I were both armed and decided to take a look down the road. It was getting dark by then and we didn't see or hear anything out of the ordinary except it did smell like something dead was close. There was to be a huge meteor shower that night so we walked out into a pasture to have a clear view of the sky. The pasture bordered the woods on our left, with our camp and the river to our front. We hadn't been sitting there long when we heard something heavy walking around in the woods. At first we thought it might be a stray cow but the more we listened it sounded more like the way a man would move. What really got our attention was that all of a sudden we heard limbs snapping. Not small ones but big enough to sound like rifle shots. I'm a Vietnam Vet and a long time hunter. I've never heard anything move through woods like that. It spooked us enough that even though we were armed, both carrying .44 cal hand guns, we didn't venture into the woods to investigate. That ended our star gazing and we spent most of the rest of the night sitting in camp with our pistols close at hand.

The next day we found where something had bulldozed it's way through the heavy bush and left some good sized broken limbs and saplings in its wake, but to be honest we didn't look too close. Also the smell of something dead was gone. The rest of the camping trip was un eventful though I did notice one thing. The lady who's land we were camping on was carrying a 12 gage shotgun every time we saw her. She even had it across her lap when she'd sit on her porch. Never knew her to do that before. She was of old hillbilly stock and not one to scare easy so I asked her about it. She just replied she wanted it close and would say no more. To sum it up, My son's insisting he saw a very big hairy black man, the way it frightened him, the noise that night and the broken trail of brush and limbs, the smell and the elderly ladies keeping her shotgun close at hand, I have to wonder. Especially since I read, here on your site, of other bigfoot sightings in the area.

ALSO NOTICED: Just what I've already said.

OTHER WITNESSES: Myself, my wife, my son and daughter, plus my friend and his wife.

OTHER STORIES: Yes, believe there is one or two on this site. That is what prompted me to report this as I believe it was in same area or pretty darn close.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Started about 20 minutes before dark and lasted about an hour after dark.

ENVIRONMENT: On the edge of the Meramac River with some open pasture and heavy forest from the edge of the campsite on down river for several miles. Lots of caves in the area. Oak, Hickory, Black Walnut, Wild Plum, Mulberry, Paw Paw, Wild Cherry, Blackberry, etc.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Stan Courtney:

I spoke with the father by phone.

Although a five year old child is not usually a reliable witness the parents gave a certain credibility to the story when they later heard large branches being broken in the woods.

I was unable to contact the son, but after contact is made with him, classification to A may be made.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:50 am 

Quote:
Report # 496 (Class A)
Submitted by witness Jim K. on Monday, October 23, 2000.
Campers see large figure cross-river in moonlight

YEAR: 1977

MONTH: August

DATE: 15 or 16

LOCATION DETAILS: We had put in our canoes at the Highway 19 Bridge, floated north about 4 or 5 hours before camping before nightfall.

NEAREST TOWN: Cook Station or Wesco

NEAREST ROAD: Highway 19 or Highway M

OBSERVED: The sighting occurred sometime after dark. I was in my sleeping bag sleeping on a sandbar with three other guys on the Meramec River after an afternoon of canoeing and fishing. I was awaken and was looking upstream into a beautiful bright, full moon. The light being given off was so bright, that you could read by moonlight alone. Suddenly about 20 yards upstream to my left, a very large, very massive creature walking on two legs, stepped into the river to cross. It appeared to have a very massive upper body. Because of the moonlight and angle, I could see that its body had a very "furry" appearance to it. When it walked, I could see its arms sway and its knees bend with every step. I also noted a very pronounced crest on the top of its head and a very pronounced ridge on its eyebrow line. I was on my back looking upstream and propped myself up on my elbows for a better look. As I did this, Greg who was off to my left propped himself up also and said out loud, "What the hell is it?” I answered, not taking my eyes off the creature, "I don't know, must be somebody ripping off cabins”. Implying a human form. Immediately upon Greg’s words, the creature turned at the waist and looked at us only taking its eyes off us to look at the other bank when it exited the river. When it looked at us, its face blacked out due to turning away from the moonlight. I remember hearing the creature cutting the water, which was about 3 feet deep, as it walked. The water flow was very fast and no man could have crossed this area and remained standing for very long. The water came up to the creatures knees. I could see its knees bend as it lifted them to walk. It exited the river on the right side and we lost sight of it. This sighting lasted only about 10 seconds, but lives vividly in my memory. The next morning when Greg and I recalled what we had seen to the other guys, we were severely ridiculed. Because of this, we didn't go and check for tracks or other sign. We both agreed that what we saw was not human and far too tall and massive to be a person or bear. We both then agreed that it had to be a Bigfoot we had seen. I do recall that the draw that the Bigfoot had come out of prior to entering the water was very dark, with thick brush and a spring fed creek in it. As we were floating by, I remember having a very uneasy feeling about it as I was looking at it and would not have gone into it.

ALSO NOTICED: None other than the weird feeling about the area that the Bigfoot came out of before entering the water.

OTHER WITNESSES: There were four of us on the float trip, but just Greg and I saw the Bigfoot, the other two were sleeping.

OTHER STORIES: I have not heard of any other stories in this area. However, after finding your site and linking with others, I have heard some of the recorded vocalizations and remember hearing these through our many float trips through this and other areas in Southern Missouri. We thought at the time that these loud screams were just exotic birds that the local farmers kept.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Sometime after dark on a very bright moonlight night. The moon was full and you could read by moonlight alone. Excellent conditions.

ENVIRONMENT: We were camped on a sandbar facing upstream (north) on the Meramec River. The area that the creature had come out of was very thick brush, very dark due to being between two limestone cliffs with a creek running out into the river. The creature had crossed the river and exited into a very large meadow with an old farm building in it. A large tree lined ridge was about 1/2 mile in the distance to the east.

Follow-up investigation report:

I found Jim excited about the subject matter each time I spoke with him. He was happy to hear that there was interest in his report since it had been so pivotal and dynamic in his life. His qualifications were exceptional for making observations, as he is a trained observer (geologist and geophysicist) who also had some anthropology instruction while in college.

. Although his view was backlit from the moon, he was close enough to receive a great observation of this target species. The thing he emphasized to me most was its density. In other words, how massive this creature was. He stated that it had an absolutely huge barrel chest and the deltoid muscles on its shoulders were just tremendous. It crossed the river in rapids where the sound of the current hitting it could be heard. A man would not be able to cross the area it did and on its way out of the river, it lifted itself effortlessly up on the shore, which was four, or five feet up... and then it was gone. He also pointed out in later correspondence that the arms were especially massive in the biceps and triceps regions. With regard to its movement, he emphasized the leg bend at the knees and the swaying arms. He mentioned that he did not remember the detail in the hands except that they looked longer than normal for the body size. With a silhouette to look at, they were not easily observed anyway. He could see individual digits but did not focus his view there. He also mentioned a hairy "texture" to it, but not a long flowing "blowing in the breeze”, type hair.
The head shape showed two major features, namely an enlarged brow and a very pronounced saggittal crest. Jim also described a huge oval shaped face that was very large but un-detailed due to the backlit situation (blackened out by shadows). In other comments regarding its head, I was told it was somewhat conical in a front view. As it crossed the river from left to right, its head stood out and was described to me as high, massive and with a bit of a sloping forehead. It did turn to look at the men as one of them blurted out "What the Hell is THAT??" Now that was at a distance of approximately 20-25 yards away. Regardless, this may suggest superb hearing. When it turned to look at them, it turned its body, not its head. Jim described this as though it tilted forward and turned from the waist up to its right to observe the two staring men. (Two had fallen asleep.)
Jim also had numerous comments on the location... he let me know he had an unusual feeling about the stream emptying out into the river and felt the top of the hill alongside it would have been a great place to be very near cover (several steps) and yet have an expansive view of the entire area. The vegetation there was dense and the campers spent much of the day fishing where that stream emptied into the river, it was loaded with smallmouth bass and they landed many.
Jim told me that he felt humbled and blessed to have been able to have this experience. He also wondered if the animal was in the draw when they floated by. He just had a strange feeling about that thick underbrush that surrounded the base of the cliff.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:55 pm 
Chief Forum Administrator/MABRC Executive Director

Medals: 39
Quote:
Report # 48655 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Sunday, May 10, 2015.
Recollection of seeing a huge bipedal shadow while camping that steals food near Steelville
(Show Printer-friendly Version)
YEAR: 1997

MONTH: August

DATE: 08/15/1997

LOCATION DETAILS: Hwy 8 - Thurman Lake Road area

NEAREST TOWN: Steelville, MO

NEAREST ROAD: Hwy 8 - Thurman Lake road

OBSERVED: I was camping by myself on a friend's private property near the Meramec River in Steelville, MO (Crawford County). I was getting ready to go to bed in my tent when I heard leaves and twigs on the ground crackling in the woods a few yards away, I thought it might be deer. I got in my tent, which was a tall tent, about 10 feet tall and left my lantern on outside. I was starting to fall asleep, when I heard something big coming out of the woods, I was Paralyzed, I saw the giant shadow on my tent from the lantern, it was about 8 and a half feet tall with broad shoulders, I thought to myself this is not a black bear, I was about 5 feet away from where my food containers were and my cooler. It opened my food containers and started eating my bread, I heard low growling, there were teeth marks found the next day, it went through my cooler, dumped it over and stole my meat, like pork and beef steaks and then ran into the woods. I heard some vocalizations down near the river. I could not sleep the rest of the night. The next day I went down to the river on one of the river sand islands and found some big foot prints, I wish that I had a camera with me, but I did not, I kept it to myself all these years for fear of ridicule.

ALSO NOTICED: See report

OTHER WITNESSES: 1

OTHER STORIES: yes, many

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Late night, early morning

ENVIRONMENT: Oak forest, Meremec River, hilly terrain

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Chris Callahan:

In summary:

I spoke to the witness via telephone and the following can be added to the narrative:

Growling was heard when the meat was discovered.

It was a clear night with a quarter moon and pleasant camping temperatures.

Whooping and tree knocks were heard down at the riverbank (50 yards from the campsite) after the visitation ended. These lasted around an hour.

16 inch footprints (estimated) were discovered the following morning. The witness wears a size 8.

About BFRO Investigator Chris Callahan:

Chris is a professional Fire Captain and EMT. He holds a BA in History/Anthropology, an MA in Historical Archaeology, and has attended numerous public and private expeditions

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:09 am 

Medals: 39
Quote:
Report # 50717 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Sunday, January 10, 2016.
Man recalls primate-like vocalization and rocks thrown at a fishing area in the Rvierside Conservation Area
(Show Printer-friendly Version)
YEAR: 2010

MONTH: June

DATE: 1

LOCATION DETAILS: Conservation area

NEAREST TOWN: Cuba

NEAREST ROAD: Riverside Road

OBSERVED: Two friends and myself were driving back roads in our home town out of boredom in the evening. We stopped at a small conservation area known as Riverside off a dirt road that shares the same name.

There is a boat ramp off the Meremac River and a picnic table about 50 yards off the road and obstructed by woods and brush. There are trash barrels at the location and fishermen empty their coolers and discard fishing waste when they take their boats out of the water. There are farms and residences in the area, but nothing for about half a mile due to the area's proclivity to flood. There have also been incidents of violence in this location in the past (person on person) so there's a local aversion to the area, which makes it particularly absent of people at night.

The three of us were talking and walking down the boat ramp to the edge of the river (the trees and brush make the ramp the only place that the river is visible in this area). There is a small gravel bar/island that is heavily wooded about 200 feet from the edge of the boat ramp where the river forks and splits. There was a decent amount of moon light and we were watching the water. We heard some noise in the brush on the island or maybe the opposite bank. A few moments passed and what sounded likes a rock hit the bank on our side (maybe fifteen or twenty feet down river) followed by what sounded like another rock landing in the river (presumably in the same vicinity of the first rock).

We froze for maybe ten seconds, then we heard what we all collectively determined to sound like an ape yowling from about the same direction of the noises and rocks. I would say the sound was more like a one tone, moderately deep exhale or grunt that had a shrill undertone that gave it an aggressive feeling. We left immediately.

We've all lived in rural areas for most of our lives and know the sounds of local wildlife. This sound wasn't one any of us had encountered before.

We never saw anything.

OTHER WITNESSES: Three witnesses total. We had been together all evening. There were no drugs or alcohol involved.

OTHER STORIES: No.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Night. Between 8-11pm

ENVIRONMENT: River, dense woods and brush, refuge.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Brian R. Woods:

I had a chance to speak with the witness on the phone 4/14/16.

The witness describes himself as a person who is very familiar with the recognized animal noises that can be heard in this part of Missouri. For example, he mentioned familiarity with the sounds of coyotes, bobcats, birds, different owls, and even the occasional mountain lion. An interesting story that he relayed to me, was concerning a time when he was a small boy, and was out in the woods with his father. He walked a short distance away from where his father was standing, and actually walked into the close vicinity of a mountain lion. He compares the feeling that he had during this experience, with the feeling that he had on the night of the mysterious rocks and vocalizations that he and two friends heard. According to him, it was a completely different gut feeling. Whereas he knew to be very cautious near the mountain lion as a child, he described a different feeling of uncertainty and fascination when the rocks were thrown and the vocalizations occurred. He described his friends as being just as mystified as he was, but they all agreed that it was best to leave the area. He interprets the rocks, and a certain heavy breathing huffing sound, followed by a very distinctly "primate-like" howl, as not so much aggressive as it was an attempt to establish a certain dominance or territorial claim. His theory is that the nearby trash dumpster, where fish remains (fishing dock nearby) and other garbage is often deposited, might be a frequent food source for the strange animal that seemed to be just out of sight in the darkness. Almost as if it intended to make its presence and command of the area known, to intimidate the witness and his friends into departing. That's exactly what they did.

He describes the area as "very rural", with property and sparse residences being owned by the same families for many years. To this day, he says the land is virtually the same as it was at the time of his experience, and there hasn't been notable development or additional homes built. The fishing dock and the immediate area have somewhat of a negative reputation, which largely keeps people away after dark. It was apparently the scene of a violent altercation between two men in the late 1990's, and because of this, locals tend to think of it as not somewhere to be after the sun goes down, for fear of undesirables being there. The witness reports no other vehicles being there that night, and no evidence of other people. In fact, the area is technically "closed" after dark, most likely a deterrent intended to keep loiterers away. There are several Conservation Areas nearby, including the Huzzah Conservation Area to the east, the Woods Memorial Conservation Area to the southwest, and the Mark Twain National Forest to the southeast.

The witness and his friends have discussed that night several times over the past few years, and have gone through the process of ruling out common explanations. After reading and learning of experiences that others have had, the witness feels that his experience has several common elements that bolster his belief that it may have been a sasquatch throwing the rocks and making the huffing and low, extended howl. He understands that this can never be a definitive answer, but is unable to account for the events by other explanation.

The witness was well-spoken, precise, and consistent with his account of his experiences that night.

About BFRO Investigator Brian R. Woods:

Brian is a former Emergency Medical Technician, as well as an outdoor enthusiast, and proud Scouting father. He's been a lifelong resident of the Midwest, surrounded by many miles of Missouri forests, waterways, and wildlife.

Profile Personal album