Hello to our Guest
Welcome to the Mid-America Bigfoot Research Center Forums!
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: BFRO STEUBEN COUNTY
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:08 pm 
MABRC Forum Administrator, MABRC Western Oklahoma State Director, Mid-South Regional Assistant Director
MABRC Forum Administrator, MABRC Western Oklahoma State Director, Mid-South Regional Assistant Director

Medals: 32
Quote:
Report # 19836 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Thursday, June 21, 2007. Campers describe incidents over 3-4 hours with unseen animal near their camp outside Prattsburgh
YEAR: 2003

SEASON: Fall

MONTH: November

DATE: 11/09/2003

STATE: New York

COUNTY: Steuben County

NEAREST TOWN: Prattsburg

NEAREST ROAD: Gay Road

OBSERVED: This account happened on the night of the lunar eclipse back in 2003. I was camping with my friend Pete in NY up behind his cabin (about 1/4 mile up the hill). It was about 11pm and we were both in our bags in the shelter we built.

Pete was already asleep... I was trying to sleep but couldn't so I was poking the fire with a long stick. I heard something coming down the hill (heard rustling leaves, etc) but figured it was deer coming down the game trail. It is tough to tell where sounds come from at night and judge distance in the woods because it's so quiet.... but I figured it was pretty far out (about 150 or 200 yds) moving to our left. I heard some sort of popping sound like the trunk of a tree being hit with something solid or two 2x4s being smacked together and a few growls (kinda like a lion but higher pitched, kinda like a stomach growling)... I still didn't really pay any attention. I dismissed the popping as trees cracking and the growling to Petes stomach or a low volume snore. Whatever this thing was, it circled our camp keeping the same distance away. All I heard was the rustle of leaves or twig snaps. I kept hearing the popping sound occasionnally but I still wasn't freaked out. The sound eventually stopped basically where it I started hearing it. I starting thinking that whatever it was, it was a predator (showing stalking behavior)... I figured it was a bear, fox, or some other predator/scavenger that thought it was a good idea to leave us alone. But then I started getting a really creepy feeling that I was being watched. I thought my mind was playing tricks and I was imagining it... but it got worse and worse. I couldn't hear anything definitive in the woods but was still getting creeped out.

I could only see part of the woods because only part of our shelter is open... but I started looking around (from my bag inside the shelter, not walking around) and what I could see was lit up pretty well because of the full moon (after the lunar eclipse anyway). I looked into a stand of trees and saw a really big dark spot... it looked like a broken off tree trunk darkened by shadow... in basically the same spot where the noises stopped. I looked around the woods a little more and came back to the same spot where I saw the tree looking thing... and IT WAS GONE!! I woke Pete up so I could tell him what was going on... and so I would know I wasn't crazy if I heard something again. I was telling him what was going on when we heard the popping/thudding sound again... He loaded his gun (Pete has a permit to carry a handgun in NY).

We got out of our bags and restoked the fire and I heard his stomach growl... really loud!! He said, "Man you must be hungry." I said I thought that was his stomach and we just looked at each other. We went to investigate where I saw the disappearing shadow thing and we made a lot of noise to scare off whatever it was (breaking branches, kicking at the leaves, talking/yelling to each other). We looked around the woods a bit... I heard something up on the ridge keeping pace with us but moving away. It didn't run, just moved away from us at the rate we were moving toward it. We stayed up for a little while longer and heard nothing so we went back to bed. Pete was out like a light and I stayed awake just listening.

About 30 minutes later, THE THING CAME BACK!! I woke Pete up as I heard it come down off the hill from the same direction it started from... it was making a truck load of noise banging trees (we think it actually pushed one over too). It growled a few times, and it's foot steps were really heavy... based upon how Pete and I sounded moving through the woods earlier, this thing had to weigh much more than both of us (I'm 6'2" and 250lbs). It came in on our left and walked behind our camp about 30-50 yds... We couldn't see it because it was on the non-open side of our shelter and we didn't want to pop out and provoke an attack. It kept walking in the same direction and eventually was out of earshot but we figured that was enough of a warning. We packed up and went back to the cabin.

There are many screwed up things about this. First, I've been hunting for years and I don't get spooked... Pete is ex-military and no slouch in the woods either. But this spooked us bad enough to make us want to pack up the gear at two in the morning (leaving some of it on the hill) and come back to the cabin. Second, two of us heard this thing so I know its not just my mind playing tricks on me... it was definitely there!! Third, this thing was massive... It made a whole bunch of noise when it walked behind our camp (more than any animal I have ever heard) and it's footsteps almost shook the ground. But here comes the most screwed up part of the story. I have hunted for 15+ years and know what animals sound like coming through the woods... I have heard deer, bear, fox, etc... just about any animal in NJ, NY, PA, and ME... and, ofc ourse, other hunters. I can tell you with 100% certainty... THIS THING WAS WALKING ON TWO FEET!!

I checked the area the next day and found a large foot print in soft earth... about 3 inches longer than mine and about 2 inches wider (I wear a size 12). I tracked the animal (or whatever) for a few hundred yards but only found one other definate track and it was the same size roughly. I also found a dead tree that was knocked to the ground probably the night before (fresh earth on the roots, leaves under/around it disturbed)... I presume it was the large crash we heard the night before.

ALSO NOTICED: Yes, as described in the story.

OTHER WITNESSES: Yes, as described in the story.

OTHER STORIES: Just what has been written on this site... and I only read it after the fact.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Described in the account

ENVIRONMENT: Open hardwoods with rolling hills. Farm fields and christmas tree farms are common in the area.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Paul J. Mateja:

Spoke with the witness on 7/17/07:

He reiterated most of the events as detailed in his report. The following may assist the reader:

- The lunar eclipse occurred on November 9, 2003
- After the lunar eclipse there was a bright, full moon; visibility was very good.
- His friend and he constructed a lean-to type camp.
- The events started to occur between 10:00 and 11:00 p.m. However, he is not sure of the time, but stated it was after the eclipse had ended.
- He saw the figure (it looked like a broken off tree trunk) at a distance of 50-60 yards
- The animal had paced them as he walked around the camp trying to scare it away
- Several low growls were heard; Recently he has heard similar growls on the Sierra Sounds CD
- At its closest point to camp, it came within 30-40 yards; it always seemed to stay just out of sight.
- The animal had left once, then returned to the camp later. It was the second visit that convinced the witness and his friend to head back to the cabin. They arrived back at the cabin around 3:00 a.m.

About BFRO Investigator Paul J. Mateja:

Paul is a network administrator and systems analyst/programmer for the Catholic Diocese of Buffalo, NY. In addition, Paul and his wife Teresa own and operate a small organic farm in western New York State. He has attended the folowing expeditions: New Mexico (Jicarilla), New York (Adirondacks), Pennsylvania (Michaux). Will be attending the upcoming BFRO expeditions in West Virginia and the New York Adirondacks Mountains.

Paul is organizing the 2008 Pennsylvania Expedition.

Post subject: Re: BFRO STEUBEN COUNTY
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:09 pm 

Quote:

Report # 5515 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Monday, December 23, 2002. Possible sighting by hunters near Bath
YEAR: 2002

DATE: 12

LOCATION DETAILS: about about half mile off shannon Rd, north east of shannon rd

NEAREST TOWN: Bath

NEAREST ROAD: Shannon Rd

OBSERVED: While hunting with a friend on his farm during deer season this past Nov, we were walking the creek bottom to get up to a stand of pines at the edge of a small swamp on his property, after walking about 200 yards we stopped for a bit to listen and observe and maybe jump a deer crossing over, we were there about 10 minutes when we started to hear something above and just behind us, the creek bottom at that point has about 8 foot banks on both sides, we continued to hear the noices get closer, but it seemed to be going parralel to us on the deer trail. having spotted bear recently, we thought it might be one and hoped it would cross about 60 yards in front of us, we moved a little further up and the noises stopped, figuring the bear heard us we stopped, it was quiet for about 20 minutes when it began again, only more hurried this time. at one point I could see movement in the woods and at first thought it might have been a bear standing up, but it kept walking on the hind legs, it turned and came across the creek about 60 yards from us and we just watched it run across the creek and up along the power line on the other side, it jumped down the bank and jumped back up on the other side. We couldn't get a clear look because of the pines and the fact it was really moving when it came across the creek, but it was no bear, we both have been hunting for a good 25 years ech and we agreed it wasn't a bear or any other animal we have ever seen. we listened to it for about another 3 to 5 minutes going through the pines and brush, then the noises just stopped, we went up and back tracked it as best we could but lost the sign just the other side of his farm pond.

ALSO NOTICED: didn't really hear anything from the animal, just it moving through the heavy brush

OTHER WITNESSES: 1 other besides myself, we were hunting along the creek bottom on our way to the swamp.

OTHER STORIES: not in the immediate area, but over on the other side of the hill, some of the other farmers have said they have heard things at night that weren't "normal"

TIME AND CONDITIONS: early morning, aprox 830am
partly cloudy
cold, about 35 degrees
dry,with some leftover snow in places

ENVIRONMENT: creek bottom surrounded by pines and some oaks, maples and beech trees

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:10 pm 

Quote:
Report # 4643 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Wednesday, July 10, 2002. Follow up investigation to track find in Rathbone
YEAR:

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: August

DATE: 9th

NEAREST TOWN: Addison, NY

NEAREST ROAD: Hardscrabble Road

OBSERVED: This is an update on an original sighting reported in 1995. I am a researcher and have been following up on this. Below is the response I recieved from the NYS DEC investigator assigned to the original incident. Also enclosed is the original Corning Leader newspaper report on the incident. I am continuing my efforts to track down the hair samples and obtain photos of the original footprint casts taken by the NYS DEC.

Marty Wilson
Subj: Re: Bigfoot in Rathbone?
Date: 7/10/02 11:02:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time
To: CaptainNya@aol.com

Your recent request for information about the Addison Big Foot was forwarded to me. I was the one who investigated this. In my 30 years working for the Bureau of Wildlife I have been called on to investigate some very strange things, all of which were explainable in one way or another. This was the exception. I have to agree with the newspaper statement that if this was a hoax, it was a beauty. I was kind of hoping
Bigfoot would show up again, but no such luck. The best hope of solving this was the hair-like material we found at the site and subsequently sent to Cornell. I never got an official report back but I did hear that it was never identified. I guess we'll just have to wait for it to show up again.

Jim Fodge
>>> 07/06/02 01:39AM >>>
Dear NYS DEC,

Enclosed is a Corning Leader newspaper article from 1995. To my knowledge no follow-up reports were published. Would it be possible to find out what the results of this investigation were?

Sincere Thanks,

Marty Wilson
Tuesday, August 22, 1995

Bigfoot in Rathbone? 'If it's a hoax, someone did a good job...'

By Melanie Conty
The Corning Leader
--------------------------------------------------

Rathbone - Bigfoot may be stomping around town, according to people who found huge footprints, hairs and uprooted vegetation near an area pond, area residents suspect.

Officials at the New York state Department of Environmental Conservation and Cornell University are examining the findings, and said they do not know who or what they're from.

"If it's a hoax, then someone did a pretty good job of setting this thing up," said Michael McKeon, a DEC spokesman in Albany. "And if it's not a hoax, then we'll have to see if Bigfoot's out there."

The prints were each 15 inches long, five inches wide and embedded at least an inch in the mud, McKeon said.

They were spaced over 40 inches apart and casts taken showed bunions on the feet.

McKeon said he didn't believe the claims at first, but now is not so sure.

Nellie Ferry of 6788 Hardscrabble Road spotted the prints Aug. 9, when she and her husband, Joe, were fishing at a neighbor's pond.

A few days later more showed up, and then on Wednesday more appeared on the pond's other side.

"I'm not saying (Bigfoot) is what this thing is, but we're trying to get an idea," Ferry said.

"The DEC said it's not human, but it's not an animal."

Neighbors in this rural area about six miles outside Addison say they are intrigued and a bit anxious about the situation.

They report hearing noises - and sometimes a stench - coming from the remote pond.

"My daughter rides her horse up there," said one woman.

"That's our back yard. That's why we live up here because we feel safe. Now, I don't feel so safe."

Many of the neighbors don't want their names used.
"People will think we are crazy," she said.

Friends and area libraries have been providing Ferry with books and videotapes on Bigfoot, who has been spotted throughout the United States since the 1940s. A narrator of one videotape claimed to show actual footage of his Bigfoot sighting. The animal was about 8 feet tall, 400 pounds and extremely hairy. Others on the tape said Bigfoot has a pointed head, red eyes and looks "like the devil."

The species is believed to exist on fresh fish and vegetation, and there has been no evidence that it eats red meat. Wolves allegedly roll around on its footprints and are quite receptive towards its stench, described as a combination of sewage and musty, wet cloth.

Sightings have been in Alaska, California, Vermont, and Florida, and upstate New York, the last here in the Adirondacks in 1972. Believers say about 1,200 Bigfoot exist in the United States.

Ferry said whatever has been walking around the pond has pulled up cat tails and eaten their roots, and lately she has heard howling and other unusual sounds from the woods at night.

McKeon said he does not believe there is yet cause for alarm.
"It's not something that we think is a real problem," he said. "There's no reason for people to panic."

This advice, however, did not calm Ferry. "I am getting nervous over it,"she said. "I mean, I would like to see it to find out what it is."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:10 pm 

Quote:
Report # 2630 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Monday, June 04, 2001. While taking a break during a deer drive, hunter sees 6 foot tall creature run away down hillside
YEAR: 1986

DATE: 1st week of deer gun season.

NEAREST TOWN: Addison/Erwin

NEAREST ROAD: Hwy 415. Im really not to sure. I have relocated to Colorado and cannot remember without referring to a map.

OBSERVED: Not quite sure what to write. I was hunting with some friends of mine outside of Addison, NY in Nov. of 1986. I was the top man on a drive. I crested a hill and decided to take a break.

Things were pretty slow as far as hunting. Typical fall day no overcast, dry conditions. I just finished eating one of many Babe Ruths when something caught my attention about 50 yds. east of where I was sitting down.

I looked towards the direction and noticed something that was black run very fast down the side of the hill. It happened so fast I wasn't quite sure what I was seeing. It appeared to be about my height. I stand at 5'9". It ran with incredible speed.

What is odd about the incident is that I had time to eat and sit down on a tree. At the time I was not even in stealth mode. I always scan the area before I stop for breaks just in case I may have missed any game.

I almost felt as if whatever it was, it was observing me and had enough. It was definitely in a hurry to leave. I observed it for only at best, 5 seconds. I could hear it break deadfall once I lost sight as it ran away.

Their are bears in the area I hunt, but this seemed to be taller than the average black bear. My first thought was it had to be a bear. I remember standing up startled once I had made eye contact with the object running. It appeared to be at eye level.

My second thought was maybe it was a black angus cow that may have been loose from a farm. I was a little spooked from the incident. The same feeling you have when you stumble upon a grouse at close range. I thought again and surmised if it is a bear, it is a very large one.

I was not far from the end of the deer drive. I left the area and met up with my friends at the truck. I had asked them if they had seen a bear or any deer. They all said no. I did not tell them of the incident.

On 08-05-95, the Corning Leader newspaper wrote an article on a possible bigfoot sighting near Rathbone, NY. This area is not far from where I was hunting. There were casts taken as well as hair samples by the Dept. of Enviormental Conservation. To my knowledge they were submitted to Cornell University for testing.

ALSO NOTICED: Refer to Leader archives for incident that occurred in Aug of 95. As stated in report I felt it had to be watching me and spooked.

OTHER WITNESSES: Myself, hunting partners did not observe anything

OTHER STORIES: Refer to Aug. 5,1995 Corning Leader newspaper.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Mid afternoon, clear about 35-40 deg.

ENVIRONMENT: Decidious mixed with conifer no vegetation on trees. The leaves had already fallen. Possible acorns from the oak trees

Related Media Articles:

* Bigfoot in Rathbone? 'If it's a hoax, someone did a good job...' (8/22/1995; The Corning Leader)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:11 pm 

Quote:
Report # 13662 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Wednesday, January 25, 2006. Daylight sighting near a railroad bed and the Canisteo River
YEAR: 1979 or 80

SEASON: Spring

MONTH: April

DATE: 4/21/1980

LOCATION DETAILS: My son and I were building fence for our cows. We were on the hill behind our house. There is a great view of the valley. There was a work crew working on the railroad at the edge of our property. I noticed this large animal come-up out of the river. I thought it was a bear. My son noticed it also. It was dark and walked like a man. In comparison to the men on the RR tracks it 2 to 3 times larger than the men working. It had a large head that seemed to fall into the shoulder with not much of a neck. It had longer arms and a slight sway as it walked. The men on the RR were behind a hedgerow and would not be able to see the animal. It went around the bend in the river and disappeared. The next day I got to thinking about it and went down to the river to see if I could find any tracks. I went to the spot where it came out of the river. I was unable to find any tracks. I feel it came out of the because the was a trash build up of debris, tires and all sorts of things. Rather than trying to get through that mess it walked around. It think the animal was using the Canisteo river for a road out of sight.

NEAREST TOWN: Canisteo

NEAREST ROAD: County Road #29

ALSO NOTICED: No

OTHER WITNESSES: Me and my son.

OTHER STORIES: No

TIME AND CONDITIONS: late morning / early afternoon
Bright warm day

ENVIRONMENT: River bottom flat land. It was a dry year and the ground was crusted . It was hard to drive fence post because of the dry conditions.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Paul J. Mateja:

The witness provided the following additional information:
- Both the witness and his son had seen the animal. His son was 14 years old at the time.
- The sighting occurred in late spring. It was a very dry spring which may explain why the witness could not find tracks the next day.
- They were approximately 3/10ths of a mile away from the animal.
- The animal had a large "T" shaped frame with very broad shoulders
- It was dark brown/black in color.
- It walked approximately 400-500 feet along the river bank then turned a bend and out of sight.
- The railroad workers were approximately 200 feet away from the animal but could not see it because of the large hedgerow separating them.
- The witness still lives in the area, but has not seen nor heard anything unusual since this one incident.

About BFRO Investigator Paul J. Mateja:

Paul is a network administrator and systems analyst/programmer for the Catholic Diocese of Buffalo, NY. In addition, Paul and his wife Teresa own and operate a small organic farm in western New York State. He has attended the folowing expeditions: New Mexico (Jicarilla), New York (Adirondacks), Pennsylvania (Michaux). Will be attending the upcoming BFRO expeditions in West Virginia and the New York Adirondacks Mountains.

Paul is organizing the 2008 Pennsylvania Expedition.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:12 pm 

Quote:
Media Article # 232
Article submitted by Joe Sabin

Tuesday, August 22, 1995

Bigfoot in Rathbone? 'If it's a hoax, someone did a good job...'

By Melanie Conty
The Corning Leader

Rathbone - Bigfoot may be stomping around town, according to people who found huge footprints, hairs and uprooted vegetation near an area pond, area residents suspect.

Officials at the New York state Department of Environmental Conservation and Cornell University are examining the findings, and said they do not know who or what they're from.

"If it's a hoax, then someone did a pretty good job of setting this thing up," said Michael McKeon, a DEC spokesman in Albany. "And if it's not a hoax, then we'll have to see if Bigfoot's out there."

The prints were each 15 inches long, five inches wide and embedded at least an inch in the mud, McKeon said.

They were spaced over 40 inches apart and casts taken showed bunions on the feet.

McKeon said he didn't believe the claims at first, but now is not so sure.

Nellie Ferry of 6788 Hardscrabble Road spotted the prints Aug. 9, when she and her husband, Joe, were fishing at a neighbor's pond.

A few days later more showed up, and then on Wednesday more appeared on the pond's other side.

"I'm not saying (Bigfoot) is what this thing is, but we're trying to get an idea," Ferry said.

"The DEC said it's not human, but it's not an animal."

Neighbors in this rural area about six miles outside Addison say they are intrigued and a bit anxious about the situation.

They report hearing noises - and sometimes a stench - coming from the remote pond.

"My daughter rides her horse up there," said one woman.

"That's our back yard. That's why we live up here because we feel safe. Now, I don't feel so safe."

Many of the neighbors don't want their names used.

"People will think we are crazy," she said.

Friends and area libraries have been providing Ferry with books and videotapes on Bigfoot, who has been spotted throughout the United States since the 1940s. A narrator of one videotape claimed to show actual footage of his Bigfoot sighting. The animal was about 8 feet tall, 400 pounds and extremely hairy. Others on the tape said Bigfoot has a pointed head, red eyes and looks "like the devil."

The species is believed to exist on fresh fish and vegetation, and there has been no evidence that it eats red meat. Wolves allegedly roll around on its footprints and are quite receptive towards its stench, described as a combination of sewage and musty, wet cloth.

Sightings have been in Alaska, California, Vermont, and Florida, and upstate New York, the last here in the Adirondacks in 1972. Believers say about 1,200 Bigfoot exist in the United States.

Ferry said whatever has been walking around the pond has pulled up cat tails and eaten their roots, and lately she has heard howling and other unusual sounds from the woods at night.

McKeon said he does not believe there is yet cause for alarm.

"It's not something that we think is a real problem," he said. "There's no reason for people to panic."

This advice, however, did not calm Ferry.

"I am getting nervous over it,"she said. "I mean, I would like to see it to find out what it is."

Related Reports:

November 1986; New York, Steuben County (Class A) - While taking a break during a deer drive, hunter sees 6 foot tall creature run away down hillside