Hello to our Guest
Welcome to the Mid-America Bigfoot Research Center Forums!
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: (BFRO) Lake County
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:32 am 
Chief Forum Administrator/MABRC Executive Director

Medals: 39
Quote:
Report # 46604 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Thursday, September 25, 2014.
Driver notices "Something out of Place" along Hwy. 42 near Paisley
(Show Printer-friendly Version)
YEAR: 2014

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: August

DATE: 15th.

STATE: Florida

COUNTY: Lake County

LOCATION DETAILS: I was going west of 42 after coming off Hwy 44 over the St. John's River Bridge.

NEAREST TOWN: Paisley

NEAREST ROAD: CR42E

OBSERVED: The date was Fri., Aug. 15th, 2014. I had arrived on Amtrak from Kissimmee to Deland an hour late which made it 3:40 pm. I waited ten minutes for my luggage, then left the station to take CR42 West to Lady Lake. It was between 4 and 4:30 pm while I was driving that I noticed something running on someone's farm land. There were cows gathered in a pasture near the house. The creature was running in their direction but at a long even stride. I was probably about 150 yds away on the highway. It was brown/black in color and was the same all over. The stride was long, maybe about 3 1/2 to 4 ft. between steps. The creature looked at least 6' ft tall. It was the first thing I thought of as it was on two legs and all the other animals were on four. It looked out of place. No one else was around as far as I could see. The creature was running along the fence line. Which should be mentioned is that CR42 runs the southern edge of the Ocala National Forest where sightings have been seen. On Sept. 4th I had to pick up tickets in Deland for a trip. I took the same road but passed the farm because of traffic behind me. I wanted to photograph the area but couldn't.

ALSO NOTICED: No persons outside. Creature was sprinting along fence line in the direction of CR42. Forest on northside of CR42.

OTHER WITNESSES: No other witnesses.

OTHER STORIES: Read on BRFO database. Went into database only after I wrote down what I saw and others have seen creature sprinting also.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Partly cloudy, late afternoon

ENVIRONMENT: Open farmland on left, green farm house, long wire fencing. Cows near farm house, creature looked out of place there.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator R. Monteith:

The witness no longer lives in Florida, so I spoke to her on the phone several times. On August 15, 2014 around 4:30 PM, she was heading west on Hwy 42 from Deland toward Lady Lake. West of the St. Johns River and near the small town of Paisley she noticed “something out of place,” from the road.

Interactive MyTopo map of the area

While passing, what appeared to be a structure surrounded by a cow pasture, was a dark bipedal figure running along the outside of the pasture. What struck her about it being out of place was that the figure seemed larger than a human, was running very fast, and that the figure was uniform in color thus appearing to be without clothes. She could see the strides were long and smooth. She claims, “It just didn’t run like a man would.”

It was running along the fence line toward the road, coming from the south, heading north. The witness drew a photo of what she saw -

Attachment:
46604a.jpg
46604a.jpg [ 14.11 KiB | Viewed 4236 times ]

She estimates the figure was at least a football field away, yet could tell it was much taller than the fence. From the speed of the creature and the angle, it appeared to her that the creature’s intent was to cross the road.

This sighting is in the Lake Mack area and just to the north of this road is the Ocala National Forest where there have been many reports including Report 34954 and report 31153. Also see all Lake County Reports.

About BFRO Investigator R. Monteith:

R. Monteith has had a life-long interest in Bigfoot and has an extensive background in outdoor land and ocean survival as well as mountaineering. She has tran-sailed the Atlantic, backpacked in remote places throughout the world and has climbed three of the seven summits. She studied International Relations at Florida International University, and is a Financial Consultant. She has participated in many private expeditions as well as the 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 BFRO North Florida Expeditions and the 2013 BFRO UP Michigan & Alabama Expedition.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: (BFRO) Lake County
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:33 am 

Quote:
Report # 34954 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Friday, April 06, 2012.
Stranded motorist has a daytime close encounter with an adult and juvenile near Lake Mack
YEAR: 2012

SEASON: Winter

MONTH: January

DATE: 15

LOCATION DETAILS: from Lake Mack go west on CR42, to Deer Haven Rd, go right on Deer Haven Rd till it turns into FSR420(about 4 miles from when you first turn onto Deer Haven and you will be near the spot in the road.

NEAREST TOWN: Lake Mack, FL

NEAREST ROAD: Hwy 42

OBSERVED: I want to start out by saying that I have never discussed this with anyone except for one other person. I have not discussed it with my wife, my best friend, or any other person close to me in my life. I was fortunate to have a coworker who had, many years ago, shared a similar personal experience that he had in Utah. He is the only person with whom I have shared my experience. I also want to say that what I am about to describe to you has tormented me for the last several months. I cannot emphasize enough how this encounter has affected me emotionally. Thanks to the encouragement of a fantastic confidant, I am now coming forward to report the incident as a step toward putting it behind me and getting on with my life. I did not ask for this, and had the event been within my control, I would have absolutely chosen not to have the experience. My life was perfectly fine with my previous view of reality, as incomplete and skewed as it may have been.

I grew up in a very rural setting, and have always loved the outdoors and being in nature. I love to spend time in the beautiful wetlands and forests of Florida’s vast uninhabited wilderness areas. Monday through Friday, I work as an executive in a very large multinational corporation based in Orlando, FL, and being shut up in an office building throughout the week makes me stir-crazy. My life is a very high-stress environment, with responsibilities that include a multi-million dollar P&L, and oversight of approximately 1,000 employees. My weekends are often spent decompressing in nature through hiking or canoeing, especially in the winter months when the temperature is more comfortable.

On the morning of Sunday, January 15th, I was visiting friends in Lake Mack, FL, which is a very small community located in a rural area of Central Florida about 10 miles west of Deland, FL, and about 30 miles from my home. To get to this area, go west on HW 44 out of Deland. Highway 44 will curve south just before the drawbridge that crosses the St. Johns River. The Pier 44 Marina will be on the left and is visible from the drawbridge. Immediately after crossing the drawbridge from Volusia into Lake County, turn right onto County Road 42 and continue west for about four miles. If approaching on the westbound side of the road, the Lake Mack community will be located on the south (left) side of CR 42, and the Ocala National Forest on the north (right). CR 42 traverses the southern edge of the 600 square mile Ocala National Forest.

Having never been to Lake Mack prior to the 15th, I had earlier looked at the Google Maps application installed on my Blackberry to get directions. I noticed that the Ocala National Forest was just across the road, and saw that there were several forest service roads that crisscrossed the southern portion of the forest. I decided that after my visit, I would go drive through the forest and possibly do some exploring and hiking.

I finished up in Lake Mack about noon and drove west on CR 42 for about 1 mile, and turned right onto Deerhaven Road and proceeded north into the forest. Deerhaven Road is paved for about the first 2 or 3 miles until it turns into National Forest Service Road 420, which to my surprise was a one-lane, very bumpy, unpaved road. Initially, I was very nervous about continuing, but the dirt-road was compacted and my car appeared to handle it with no problems. Feeling a bit more comfortable, I continued deeper into the woods.

I drove for what I would estimate to be another 3 miles or so. The road passed through an area that appeared to have been burned in the past by a forest fire, as most of the pines were dead and only a very thick 3 to 5 ft layer of saw palmetto and other scrubby bushes covered the ground. In this area, the visibility was better due to the lack of a forest canopy and I could see the forest line about a mile in the distance. At this point, the road was still good, and so I continued driving until I the road left the burned zone and entered the tree line into a heavily forested area.

I would estimate that after about ½ to 1 mile into the forested area, I started to notice an increasing amount of soft sand in the road rather than the hardened more compacted dirt that I had been driving on previously. I got nervous and decided to turn around and go back out of the forest on NFS 420 the same way that I had entered. At that moment I felt the car sink into sand. I quickly steered left up on the side of the road so that I could get turned around. I was able to get the car turned around in the opposite direction, but when I moved forward about a foot, the car sank deep in the sand. I tried for some period of time to get unstuck, but ended up only digging the tires deeper into the sand. It dawned on me what a stupid idea it was to bring a car into the backcountry—lesson learned. So here I was, in one of the wildest and most remote areas in the State of Florida completely stranded and all alone.

I decided to try to dig out the wheels. I was down on my knees next to the front driver’s side tire digging the sand with my hands. After a few minutes of this, I stood upright to stretch my back out of the hunched position I had been in. When I stood up, a rock pelted me and a shooting pain went through the inside of my left thigh near the groin area, which caused me to jump back and yelp in pain. Because I was leaning forward against the fender of the car, the rock bounced off my leg and onto the hood of the car, and then slid slowly down the hood and into the sand, which, to my relief, told me that it was not a bullet or snakebite. I immediately looked toward the forest on the other side of the road from where the rock came, and perceived movement in the bushes. At this point, I did not see the creature, but did see movement in the branches and leaves of the shrubs, grasses and saw palmetto. The movement was enough to convince me that someone or something was there, and that it—whatever it was—was the source of the rock.

Unsure of what to do, I stood there for about 30 seconds and checked my surroundings, including the road to the east and west, and the forest that was immediately behind me. After I turned back from looking into the trees behind me, I heard movement in the forest behind me. The sound that I heard was the sound of leaves and sticks being crushed on the ground, as if someone took one step and then stopped. The sound appeared to come from about 15 feet in the woods behind me. So now at this point, I had perceived movement in the woods on both sides of the road immediately in front of and behind me. I looked back again into the trees behind me where the noise originated, but saw nothing.

At this point, the fear struck me pretty hard. Several things crossed my mind, such as wild hogs, bears and coyotes. But none of those animals obviously, to my knowledge, were capable of throwing rocks. Then the thought crossed my mind that perhaps there were a couple of people who had decided to have a little fun at my expense. So, I called out into the forest, “Who’s there? This isn’t funny. I need help getting my car out of the sand. Please help me,” and so on. I heard nothing in reply and saw no movement.

With the fear mounting and my thoughts turning more toward protection rather than getting my car unstuck, I remembered that I had a can of UDAP in my backpack in the trunk. The previous summer, I had hiked part of the Appalachian Trail in Tennessee and North Carolina and had purchased a couple of cans of UDAP for that trip. I walked around the back of the car, opened the trunk and pulled out my backpack. When I slammed the trunk shut, I again heard movement in the trees on the south side of the road and the location from which the rock had been thrown. I looked to my right and began unzipping the backpack when the creature started to make a hissing sound, though up to this point I still had not visually identified the animal. It was a very loud hissing sound, similar to what you might hear from a feral cat that is being cornered, only much, much louder and deeper. It then started to alternate between a hiss and a vocalization that sounded like “haaaaawwwww”. So the sound it was making was a protracted “hhhiiiiiissssssssssssssss, haaaaawwwwwww, hhhiiiiissssssssssssssss, haaaaawwwwwwww,” with an intermittent deeper gurgling sound interspersed throughout.

Hearing this put me into flight mode, and I immediately got in the car and locked the doors. When I slammed the door, I looked across the passenger seat out through the passenger side window and saw the creature about 15 feet into the woods as it got up and stood up on two legs. It was out of view previously, as I was able to later conclude, because it had been in a completely prostate position in or behind about 3 or 4 feet of saw palmetto. I saw its head rise up first, then its back, then it appeared to go to all fours, and finally pushed itself up with its long arms onto two legs. I briefly saw its side profile as it did not turn and face me directly, but rather stood up facing east in parallel to the road. Once it rose up completely on two legs, its head was obscured by the tree branches above, while at the same time, its feet and legs were obscured by the saw palmetto and other bushes below. So, at this point, I was looking at its torso through about a 3 to 4 foot clearing between the scrub below and the branches above.

To say the least, I was completely petrified. I was locked in my car, but absolutely did not feel safe at all. I would estimate that the creature was about 8 feet tall. It was extremely bulky across the bust, with very muscular arms, and I have no doubt that it could have easily busted out the windows and ripped me to shreds if it so desired. It stood there for what I would estimate to be about 3 seconds. I also observed what would commonly be described as a “love-handle”, around the side of the belly area and back. The creature’s hair was black and gray in color and was slicked down against the lighter skin, which could be seen in some places through what appeared to be wet hair. The hair was very thick on the arms and shoulders but less so around the side belly and back areas. It appeared to be wet because the hair was slicked down against the skin.

After standing there for approximately three seconds, it hunched forward and walked east in parallel to the road and was immediately out of sight in the trees. Just before the first step, when the creature hunched forward, it put its hands forward to grab onto some branches, which allowed me to get a glimpse of its right hand. From what I could see, the top of the hand and arm was very hairy. It had about 3 inches of hair hanging down from the wrist area that was longer than the rest of the hair on its arm. One thing that stood out to me: when the arm swung up, I noticed the palm area was much lighter than the rest of the arm, almost a light grey or even off-white color, which was in stark contrast to the much darker hair that covered the other areas of the arm, torso and back. As it swam through the bushes, I could see the trees move and shake as it moved forward through the woods along the side of the road. It walked through the scrub for what I would estimate to be about 15 or 20 feet, and then stopped, again completely obscured from my view. Also, the hissing and other vocalization had stopped at this point and everything was completely quiet.

After about a minute had passed of no further movement, I saw a tiny dark portion of the creature peek out from behind a pine tree that was growing near the side of the road about 15 or 20 feet in front of me. I could not perceive any detail at this point whatsoever, just that it was hiding and peaking from behind the tree. It appeared to be crouching down because the peek appeared about 3 or maybe 4 feet up the side of the pine tree from the base of the tree on the ground.

It was obvious to me that the creature had previously responded to the slamming of the car door and trunk. Not knowing what else to do, I laid down on the horn and started opening and slamming shut the driver’s side door hoping that such nuisance noises would drive it out of the area. It did in fact evoke a response, but not the one I was hoping for. After about 15 seconds of door-slamming and horn-honking, the creature lumbered slowly on all fours in sort of a crouched position from behind the tree onto the side of the road right along the tree line. I quickly slammed the door shut. As soon as the door slammed, the creature reared back and flung a soft-ball sized amount of slimy brown, lumpy material that was about the consistency and color of “wet” peanut butter all over the hood of the car. It slid down the hood and onto the sand in front of the car, leaving a wet residue on the hood.

It then put its arms forward, moving out of the crouched position, and then quickly crossed the road in front of me using both its arms and legs to walk on all fours, just like a four-legged animal. It looked back at me briefly and then disappeared into the tree line on the opposite side of the road. One thing I noticed at this point is that the creature was completely soaking wet from head to toe. When it flung the material at the car, I saw water drops shake off of the arm. It was very wet with the hair laying slicked to the skin, much like what you might see with a wet, long-haired dog.

The face of the creature was a dark grey color, with very large dark eyes. It had a very large mouth with extremely large, fat lips. The nose was human-like, with one exception, which was large, slightly flared nostrils. The nose did not protrude off its face in proportion to a human’s, but was flatter and more sunken. The creature looked like an ape, but with facial features—especially the nasal area—that were very similar to those of humans.

I resumed honking the horn, but did not open the door because I did not have eye contact with it and further knew that it was now in the forest on the same side of the road where I was sitting in the driver’s seat. I did not want to give it the advantage of an open door should it decide to jump out of the woods to my immediate left and attack the car.

About 1 minute after disappearing into the tree line, the creature reemerged, this time walking completely upright on two legs, just like a human. It paused at the tree line for a second, and then took one huge step back across the road. The creature, to my shock and horror, was carrying along a “child” of the same creature. It had both arms of the smaller creature grasped in its right hand, and was dangling the juvenile along by its side, with the legs of the smaller creature almost touching the ground. The smaller creature appeared to be completely limp from the neck down, but its eyes were open and it was moving its head and looking toward the trees to which it was being carried. After crossing the road, the creature paused at the tree line on the opposite side of the road, lifted the juvenile up onto its hip, and continued into the scrub. Just before disappearing, the small creature wrapped its legs around the back and stomach and clung to the creature’s chest with its arms. Basically, it was carrying the smaller creature in the same way that a human would carry a child on the hip. It did not reemerge from that point forward, nor did I see any sign or hint of it again.

I would estimate that the smaller creature was about three feet tall. It was also a different color than the adult, with the child being more of a light brown, with possibly some hints of a red and blonde, versus the black and grey color of the adult. One thing that stood out about the child is that it appeared to be very, very thin, almost to the point of appearing emaciated. I could actually see the outline of the ribs through the skin and hair that covered it.

I sat petrified in my car for about an hour until I looked up and saw two hunters driving Jeeps down the road toward me. They were kind enough to pull my car out of the sand, and quickly got me going on my way out of the forest. Once I got on HWY 44, I left the area at about 85 mph and never looked back. I was in a state of complete shock over what I had experienced. Prior to this experience, I was not a Bigfoot believer. Og how wrong I was.

OTHER WITNESSES: just me

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Around 1 pm

ENVIRONMENT: pine forest, saw palmetto and very scrubby

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator David Bakara:

I spoke with the witness the day he submitted his report. The events were fresh in his mind, as evidenced by the emotion in his voice. The witness stated he had no prior interest in Bigfoot. He admitted that before that day, he would be the guy that make fun of someone who said they saw a Bigfoot.

I drove to the location the week after I spoke with the witness. His directions were exact. I found the area where his car was stuck. I looked for any dried mud (from the debris the creature threw) but the road is well traveled by hunters every day. I walked back looking for a water source as the creature appeared wet and found a natural spring boil that flowed into a creek just 30 yards into the brush. I followed as best I could but the brush was thick and quiet difficult to move in.

This is a very wild area with much wildlife, water (even in the dry season), and cover. It could easily hide and survive in here. Other than the road that runs thru it (accessable by 4X4's only), it is a big, remote forest/swamp with very few hikers.

About BFRO Investigator David Bakara:

David has three daughters and a wife that shares his interest in research, both having developed a deep respect for nature and knowledge of the outdoors and wildlife. Attended Northern Florida Expedition 2011, 2012 Washington Exp., and 2012 North Florida exp. Prior US Navy and currently works as a Leasing Agent, spending his time off in the woods as often as he can investigating Bigfoot reports.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:34 am 

Quote:
Report # 30267 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Monday, August 01, 2011.
Man driving to work has two early morning sightings on the same road near Sorrento
YEAR: 2011

MONTH: July

DATE: 26

LOCATION DETAILS: head n.on highway 441 from Orlando,then go east on st.rt.46, finally head back s on mt. plymouth rd.

NEAREST TOWN: Sorrento

NEAREST ROAD: Mt.Plymouth rd/St.rt.46

OBSERVED: On the twenty sixth and again on the twenty seventh at approximately 5:00-5:15 am, I was on my way to work. I travel down Mt. Plymouth rd.in Sorrento FL. This is an area directly in the Wekiva River basin. As I started through the s turns I saw another car coming in the opposite direction, as that car passed a large animal stepped out from behind that car, I think he was crossing until he seen my truck, it then pivited, turned and went back into the wooded area. On the next morning on my way to work again I got a better look at it, still in the same series of turns, except this time coming out of the last one, I seen it take one step in part of my lane then on across the road and was gone. I was looking down towards the hood of my truck at this time and can tell you that whatever it was, was very large, its waist area was about 1 foot above my hood of my ford ranger pick up.

ALSO NOTICED: n/a

OTHER WITNESSES: n/a

OTHER STORIES: close by about 20 or so years ago.also a friend and I on black water creek smelled something so foul one day while we were fishing and then suddenly the smell was gone after about 20 - 30 min

TIME AND CONDITIONS: between 5:00 and 5:15 am

ENVIRONMENT: some houses, some pine forest, this area lies near several bodies of water including Blackwater creek where my friends parents had an encounter in the late 80s.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Cathy Betz:

After speaking with the witness KF over the phone, he had more details to add about his two sightings.

At the time of the first sighting, KF was driving to work about 5:00am on an unlit, two-lane road, with a car approaching from the opposite direction. As soon as the car passed KF’s truck, KF saw a large, bipedal figure near the wood line on his side of the road. He described what he saw as being ‘massive’, and that as soon as he saw it the creature turned and disappeared into the woods. Although it was dark and the only light was from his headlights, KF was convinced that it was not a human, a bear or an escaped ape. When asked if the other car slowed down, or if it appeared as if they also saw the creature, KF said that they had slowed down, but because they were approaching a turn. Otherwise he does not believe that the other car had sighted the creature.

The next sighting happened the very next morning, at about the same time of the morning, 1/4 of a mile away from his first sighting on the same road. KF was rounding a sharp turn in the road and saw, what he states was the same creature, in the middle of the road. “I almost hit it!” he said. KF was able to give me a better description of what he saw on this encounter, but states that because it was dark, he only got a look at its chest, shoulders, arm and waist where his headlights shined on it.
“I only saw it for a moment because as soon as I rounded the curve, it immediately stepped off of the road and out of sight. I saw that it was a uniform reddish-brown, maybe more brown, color, but I couldn’t see any details in the hair. The shoulders were huge…very broad. I could only see one side of it and the arm I saw was longer than a human’s arm, but still looked human. It kept its arm down at its side when it moved. I drive a Ford Ranger pickup truck and its waist was at least a foot higher than the hood of my truck. I’m 5’ 6” and the hood of my truck only reaches up to my belly-button.”
When asked to estimate the height of the creature, KF said that it probably exceeded 7 foot tall.
When asked if this could have been a human in a brown outfit, KF was adamant that it was not. “This thing was way too big and broad to be a human. No way.”
KF went on to say that he is convinced that it was the same creature he saw the morning before.

On both occasions, KF stated that his windows were rolled up so he was not aware of any unusual odors and sounds. He also stated that on the first encounter, even though he had only seen it for a moment, he knew that it couldn’t be anything but a bigfoot.

“Now, every time I drive down that road I think about what I saw.” KF told me. “From now on I’m going to carry a camera with me.”

KF’s sightings occurred just outside the boundaries of the Wekiwa Springs State Park, near Apopka. Known for its pristine waters, Wekiwa River and its tributaries are surrounded by over 7,800 acres of untouched wilderness. And bordering Wekiwa State Park is the much larger Seminole State Forest, which consists of over 12,000 acres of uninhabited forests, swamps and prairies.

About BFRO Investigator Cathy Betz:

Cathy has been a nurse for over 27 years and currently works in a busy ICU. An amateur naturalist, Cathy has been intrigued by the bigfoot phenomenon from an early age.
Attended the following expeditions:
- The 2006 Florida Expedition
- The 2007 North Carolina Expedition
- The 2008 South Florida Expedition
- The 2008 North Florida Expedition
- The 2009 Central Florida Expedition
- The 2009 Utah Expedition
- The 2010 TN Survey Expedition
- The 2011 East Texas Expedition
-The 2012 North FL Expedition
-The 2013 Michigan Upper Peninsula Expedition

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:41 am 

Quote:
Report # 31153 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Saturday, November 26, 2011.
Ongoing activity on a family farm near Paisley
YEAR: 2011

DATE: 4

LOCATION DETAILS: From Deland, FL go W on SR 44 across the St. Johns River. Take first right on CR 42. Travel 3 miles to Lake Mack and turn left. Turn right on Bear Lake.

NEAREST TOWN: Paisley, FL

NEAREST ROAD: CR 42

OBSERVED: Late at night as my family and I were setting off fireworks, we heard something growl loud enough for all of us to hear. My daughters boyfriend, a policeman said he thought it was a "bear" just in the treeline off to our left which was very close. Since we do have black bears, I picked up my grandbaby and we all stepped back as my husband and daughter's boyfriend had a look around. Something crashed away into the woods and was gone. The crazy thing is that the sound was nothing like we had ever heard before and we've been here a long time. I might add that we recently completely fenced the area which makes it even more odd. Accessing the yard would be hard for a bear now. Our dogs did not bark but, we had been setting off fireworks, so, I kind of let them off the hook!

This occurred again about a month later in August. I had stepped out on the back porch to get a soda from the refrigerator. I felt the hair on my neck stand up and about that time, I heard the same low growling noise straight in front of me that we had heard in July. Then, I heard rustling and what sounded like someone running into or hitting the side of our wooden shed out back very loudly. I yelled to my husband and ran out behind the shed with a spotlight. I saw nothing, and there was no noise of something running away. The woods are thick there so, someone or something would only have to stand a few feet away to disappear. The dogs finally decided to bark when I yelled at my husband, but then, they are kind of lazy and could have been sleeping. Amazingly enough, they are always manage to be awake long enough to eat.

OTHER WITNESSES: Yes, there were five adults and one child.

OTHER STORIES: Yes, this occurred again about a month later in August. I had stepped out on the back porch to get a soda from the refrigerator. I felt the hair on my neck stand up and about that time, I heard the same low growling noise straight in front of me that we had heard in July. Then, I heard rustling and what sounded like someone running into or hitting the side of our wooden shed out back. I yelled to my husband and ran out behind the shed with a spotlight. Nothing was there, and there was no noise of something running away. The woods are thick there so, someone or something would only have to stand a few feet away to disappear. The dogs only barked when they heard me yell for my husband. Odd again.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Late at night as my family and I were setting off fireworks, we heard something growl loud enough for all of us to hear. My daughters boyfriend, a policeman said he thought it was a "bear" just in the treeline off to our left. Since we do have black bears, I picked up my grandbaby and we all stepped back as my husband and daughter's boyfriend had a look around. Something crashed away into the woods and was gone. The crazy thing is that the sound was nothing like we had ever heard before and we've been here a long time. I might add that we recently completely fenced the area which makes it even more odd. Accessing the yard would be hard for a bear now. Our dogs did not bark, but they were freaked out by the fireworks a little.

ENVIRONMENT: Warm, humid weather. Scrub sand ridge with pine and oak trees. Small lake in the rear of the property. We had been having a long hot, dry summer. Didn't get much rain until October.
I do have bees and chickens on the property. We had to put an electric fence around the bees after a bear ate one of my hives, but that was months earlier.

The witnesses live on a small farm in a very remote area outside Deland, FL, between the Ocala National Forest and the Seminole State Forest.

Both areas have a high concentration of Sasquatch reports and have heavy areas of first growth forest. The area of the farm is all first growth pine and oak forest with scrub. The witnesses are very sincere and credible; one is active duty military, the other a nursing home administrator.

Many other things have happened since they first reported activity. I will cover all the activity in this report. On July 4, they had a BBQ with five adults, and a four year old child. The entire day had been spent outside cooking and playing. After 9 PM they lit fireworks. The daughter’s boyfriend is an Officer in the Marine Corps. He is also a sniper. During the fireworks, he noticed movement and a dark shape about 15 -20 feet away from them. He yelled, “I think there’s a bear.” Before everyone could look towards it, they all heard a very low, deep growl. Once they all looked, they heard it move away from them. The men got flashlights and attempted to follow the sound, but found nothing. The area the growl came from is near a path that leads to a lake on their property. From this pathway, their entire BBQ could have been watched. A bear would have run once the fireworks started, and bears do not growl. Black bears can “roar,” huff and snap their teeth, but cannot growl.

Photo of the view the growler would have had watching the fireworks:

Attachment:
31153-2.jpg
31153-2.jpg [ 150.86 KiB | Viewed 4233 times ]

About a month after that, the woman went on her back porch at night to get a drink from her outdoor refrigerator. She surprised something very large that growled in the same way as before but much louder. She describes it as very guttural. She heard something run away, and slap the side of the shed very loudly. She said it hit so hard, she joked to her husband that it must have knocked itself out. They retrieved flashlights, and again found nothing.

A few weeks after that, her daughter went out to feed the chickens at night, and again the shed was slapped loudly. She heard heavy footsteps move into the woods rapidly. It should be noted, that when these encounters occurred, the family’s activities were not the normal routine. As it is a working “farm", most days are routine with daily timely activities. It seems that when the routine changed, the activity of the family was reacted to.

Around the same time, the couple returned home to find a 150 lb. metal barrel removed from the outbuilding it had been in. The barrel had been behind other barrels. The left back barrel in this photo was the one that was lifted out and pillaged:

Attachment:
31153-3.jpg
31153-3.jpg [ 142.65 KiB | Viewed 4233 times ]

In order to remove this particular barrel, it would have had to be lifted up and over the others. The barrel has a pressure lock on it that I found difficult to remove.

Photo of the barrel spring lock:

Attachment:
31153-4.jpg
31153-4.jpg [ 145.68 KiB | Viewed 4233 times ]

The barrel was found about 60 feet outside the building in the woods. It was evident it had been carried – there was not a trace of it being rolled or dragged. The barrel had been opened and the dog food and chicken feed inside had been pillaged. It took two grown men to carry it back and return it to its proper place.

Several times last summer, it seemed the chickens didn’t produce as many eggs as usual. I asked if she would hear the chickens if something were in the hen house. She explained how the eggs roll to the back of the house where they are collected, so nothing goes in the hen house.

Photo of the chicken coop egg hatch:

Attachment:
31153-6.jpg
31153-6.jpg [ 142.12 KiB | Viewed 4233 times ]

The hinge door has a clip on it. She says it is unusual when the chickens are off by 10 or more eggs. It would seem eggs are taken on occasion. (see photo.) They have many chickens and admit that if one went missing, it would go unnoticed.

Photo of the chicken coop egg hatch latch:

Attachment:
31153-7.jpg
31153-7.jpg [ 152.26 KiB | Viewed 4233 times ]

One night in February, a very swift, heavy bipedal sounding sprinter ran from the back of the property, alongside the house to the front woods. The runner was so quick; it didn’t activate the sensor lights. The steps so heavy, the house shook.

Last summer her beehive was “decimated” from a bear. They put up an electric fence with three rows of barb wire on top. In May of 2012, the hive was raided again. This time, only the brood (larva) was eaten, not the honeycomb. The hive is made up of “stacked” boxes, with frames of vertical honeycomb frames. The top box of honeycomb literally dripping with honey was removed and placed neatly on the ground and ignored. The bottom box filled with the larvae was eaten. It was not destroyed as it had been before. Black hair was left on the barb wire and is being sent to a lab. (This report will be updated with results.)

Beehive section was placed neatly on the ground with the honey not being touched. Just the larva (brood) was eaten:

Attachment:
31153-8.jpg
31153-8.jpg [ 147.49 KiB | Viewed 4233 times ]

Four 16 inch footprints with a 52 inch stride were discovered outside the hive fence.

16 inch left foot print (1), with 52 inch stride. Track of four prints found near beehive:

Attachment:
31153-9.jpg
31153-9.jpg [ 154.84 KiB | Viewed 4233 times ]

16 inch right foot print (2):

Attachment:
31153-10.jpg
31153-10.jpg [ 152.59 KiB | Viewed 4233 times ]

16 inch left foot print (3):

Attachment:
31153-11.jpg
31153-11.jpg [ 149.74 KiB | Viewed 4233 times ]

16 inch right foot print (4):

Attachment:
31153-11.jpg
31153-11.jpg [ 149.74 KiB | Viewed 4233 times ]

The family dogs bark when a bear is on the property. The couple claim that they usually know when a bear is nearby because of the dogs. The dogs did not bark during these incidents. At one time they did bark, but it was only after the woman yelled for the man. The behavior of dogs not barking at a Sasquatch has been reported in similar encounters.

An X shaped stick structure was found very near where the barrel had been discarded. The branches had been broken and woven in to the surrounding trees to form the X.

Photo of the x shaped stick structure where the stolen barrel was found:

Attachment:
31153-12.jpg
31153-12.jpg [ 153.64 KiB | Viewed 4233 times ]

The property has a lake on it, and there are several other springs nearby. There are deer, turkey and edible trees in the area. Surrounding farms raise goats, pigs, chickens and cows. Every neighbor seems to have stories that are attributed to bear activity although I think that some of the incidents are not necessarily bear. As stated earlier, this area has a history of Sasquatch reports.

R. Monteith has had a life-long interest in Bigfoot and has an extensive background in outdoor land and ocean survival as well as mountaineering. She has tran-sailed the Atlantic, backpacked in remote places throughout the world and has climbed three of the seven summits. She studied International Relations at Florida International University, and is a Financial Consultant. She has participated in many private expeditions as well as the 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 BFRO North Florida Expeditions and the 2013 BFRO UP Michigan & Alabama Expedition. See more Information

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:46 am 

Quote:
Report # 23582 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Friday, April 11, 2008.
Possible stick structure and track found in the Ocala National Forest (w/YouTube videos)
YEAR: 2008

SEASON: Spring

MONTH: April

DATE: 2

LOCATION DETAILS: Specific Directions omitted.

NEAREST TOWN: Pittman

NEAREST ROAD: Highway 42

OBSERVED: As I was hiking in Ocala National Forest I noticed a suspicious-looking formation of small trees off to the right side of the trail. I have seen videos of similar structures that were attributed to Sasquatch activity and I was also well aware of the activity in that area from reports that I read before I went on the trip, so this really sparked my interest.

The structure appeared to be about 8 1/2 feet tall at the point where the trees and branches connected. What surprised me the most was the fact that it was not constructed entirely of broken branches, but mostly out of trees that were broken down and still rooted. The entire structure was composed of 6 broken trees and 3 broken branches (this is not including the "base" tree). One of the details of the structure that really stood out to me was the single tree that was bent down, twisted between two trees that were still standing, and then added into the main structure.

If this is some sort of Sasquatch-made landmark put there for whatever reason, I don't know for sure, but I do know that it wouldn't have made much of a shelter. That wouldn't make much sense to me if it was considering it's location and lack of practicality as a shelter. I think this is directly related to the Sasquatch activity in the area, and if it is some sort of land mark, whatever made it did a pretty good job of building it.

I actually had my video camera on me at the time. I have included that video below.

ALSO NOTICED: As I was heading back on the trail, I met up with my uncle. He had found a possible footprint. This print was in the sand, so it was not as clear as most footprints one might find in more stable ground, but this print was approximately 16 inches long, 5 1/2 inches wide, 1 inch deep, and had what appeared to be 5 distinct indentations where the toes would be.

I had my camera at this point also. I have included that video below.

OTHER WITNESSES: I was the only witness.

OTHER STORIES: The closest reports to this area were report numbers 11387, 725, 5510, and 14100. There are a few more in the southern half of the park.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: About 10:30AM.
Somewhat shady. The trees were tall and skinny; not providing that much shade. At that time it was about 70 to 75 degrees with not much humidity.

ENVIRONMENT: I found this structure off of a trail in a dense wooded area.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Caroline Curtis:

I met the witness, his father and uncle at the location. The structure was visible from a trail with no or little human traffic that leads off of a two-track road. There was a lot of wind damage to the structure and the forest by the time I saw it in person.

We found impressions in the forest floor measuring 15" long and 5 1/2" wide with a 4ft. stride. Almost the same measurements as the footprint in the video.

This general area is considered by many BFRO members to be a particularly reliable zone for sasquatch activity. A few BFRO members return to this area periodically. Consequently, this report was not posted immediately, per the request of those field investigators.

Although this area will not be the focus of the 2009 expedition, it will be held close enough to allow some participants to spend a day or two there. Although the swampy, rooty terrain prevents deep penetration into the woods, especially in the dark, the sasquatch-related sounds heard in the heart of this area are among the most reliable in the state of Florida.

About BFRO Investigator Caroline Curtis:

Worked as an Assistant to a Circuit Court Judge in Florida for thirteen years
An avid outdoorswoman, growing up in the UP of Michigan on a family-owned fishing and hunting resort, currently lives in the Hiawatha National Forest
Certified Visual Tracker, Level 1
Attended numerous public and private BFRO expeditions
She and the Florida BFRO group organized South Florida Expedition 2008, North Florida Expedition 2008 and Central Florida Expedition in 2009.
She and the Michigan BFRO group organized the Lower-Michigan Expedition in 2011, Michigan UP Expedition 2012 & Michigan UP Expedition 2013.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:47 am 

Quote:
Report # 19958 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Thursday, June 28, 2007.
Dusk sighting by hikers in Flat Island Preserve
YEAR: 2007

DATE: 12

NEAREST TOWN: Leesburg

NEAREST ROAD: 26A

OBSERVED: Me and my friend Kaiti were walking Flat Island Preserve in Leesburg Florida Lake County it was about 9:30 at night we were walking the nature trail when we heard a something hit a tree over and over we aproached the area where it was coming from and seen what i think was bigfoot it looked at us for a second and ran off it was about 8 feet.

OTHER WITNESSES: One

TIME AND CONDITIONS: 9:30

ENVIRONMENT: Swamp Lands

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator David Wright:

On 7/15/2007, I conducted extensive telephone interviews separately, with both witnesses. The first was a young adult male. He stated that their interest was first drawn by a sound of wood knocking against wood, in an area where such a sound was unusual; that being in an uninhabited preserve. He stated that when they went to investigate the sound, they saw an animal that may have been upright, and was of approximately 300 to 400 lbs. He stated that the animal was moving straight away from him, at a distance that he estimated at less than 100 yards. He stated that the figure appeared to be furry, but he was not sure of that fact.

The second witness was much more expressive and offered considerably more detail. Her recollection was that they were sitting in the wilderness area, and heard the sound of cracking bushes and branches, and the sound of loud walking. She had the distinct sensation of being stared at, and asked the other witness to stop staring at her, whereupon he responded that he was not. Early in the incident, she stated that she first heard a heavy breathing sound, then heard moaning sounds and asked the first witness if he had heard them, and he responded in the negative. She stated that they had indeed heard the wood knocking sound, and went to investigate. As they did so, she expressed that their distance was less than 50 yards when they saw the creature. She described it as 7' - 8' tall, she did not recall hair, but did recall that she marveled that it "looked really buff" (very muscular and well built). Neither witness noticed any unusual smells or other sensation. Upon their sighting of the creature, the first witness exclaimed that they were seeing a Bigfoot.

They left the area and returned to next day to find "huge footprints" that were long and wide, and shaped like very large human prints with visible toes. They did not photograph them.

Based on this startling experience, they searched the internet and found the BFRO website, and decided to file a report. It should be noted that in the process of filing the report, the female witness urged the male witness to include more details in the report, which he did not. These details are reported here.

Upon being asked, "What do you think you saw?” the second witness stated, "We saw a Bigfoot, and it really scared me!" or something to that effect.

While the initial report is sparse in content, I found in the interviews that the witnesses were serious and credible, considering the detail of those personal interviews. It is the opinion of this investigator that the experiences reported herein did occur, and that these two individuals likely saw a specimen of the creature of our interest.

About BFRO Investigator David Wright:

Certified Florida Master Naturalist (U. of Florida)
Visual Tracker, Level 1
Teaches Biology, A.P. Biology, Ecology, and Environmental Science at a rural high school SE of Jacksonville
See local TV interview with D. Wright
Participated in the 2007 Private Florida Expedition [Click the video link on that page.], the 2007 South Carolina Expedition, the 2008 South Florida Expedition and assisted with the organization of the 2008 North Florida Expedition. Assisted with the organization of the 2009 Central Florida Expedition.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:48 am 

Quote:
Report # 32249 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Tuesday, January 17, 2012.
Memory told of close encounters while working as a fence contractor near Cassia
YEAR: 1987

MONTH: April

DATE: 10

LOCATION DETAILS: From I95 south take the LPGA BLVD exit near Daytona, turn right, follow to end and turn right onto International Speedway BLVD (17/92), continue on 17/92 into DeLand, Turn left onto 17, turn right onto 44 west, continue on 44 approximatly 10 miles. Cassia is a very small town, look closely for the sign. Once in Cassia, the area where this took place is now called Camp Boggy Creek, I believe, which will be on your left, a sand road. It is just before the Blackwater Creek bridge (small bridge). Unknown who the land owners are now if any.

NEAREST TOWN: Cassia

NEAREST ROAD: Hwy. 44

OBSERVED: Hello, I contacted someone from your organization about a year ago regarding my encounter in central Florida back in the middle 80s. I was called away to work and was unable to continue with the call. With that said, I would like to finish sharing my experience. I was working as a fence contractor in central FL during the 80s. We had obtained a job to build 10 feed plots for deer in a remote area off of hwy. 44 near the Blackwater Creek area of the Wekiva River Basin. The acreage is vast and was utilized for big game hunting. Since there was a deadline, we had all of the fence material trucked in and we set up camp at the end of the access road. This allowed us to be onsite until all work was complete. On the second day of our stay, we (myself and a helper) were surveying and clearing a fence line in the early morning hours, it was still misty with little light coming through the trees. There was four of us total working, so we split up into two teams to knock out the 10 plots. While my helper and I were clearing brush we were commenting and joking about an odd odor (skunky/sulfer like) we had been smelling a few minutes before reaching the site of the first plot. As we were pulling a string line, abruptly, a dark, bipedal form stepped into our fence line about 60 yards ahead of us. At first we thought it was one of the installers working with us, but as it moved closer to the clearing you could clearly see it was not a human. It appeared to be mostly covered with orange/brown hair, un-human long arms and an odd shaped head (wide, pointy and large) with a very short neck. Once it stepped out, it seen us as well, and when we shouted out the names of the other workers it quickly vanished into the treeline. We viewed the creature for what seemed to be 60 seconds or so before it bolted off. My helper and I were stunned at what we had seen. We spent a few minutes trying to rationalize it but there was no doubt we witnessed something extraordinary. I was carrying a side arm so we walked up to the clearing but could not see anything through the trees, however we did hear something moving rapidly away from us for a few seconds. That was the first of two encounters. The second encounter happened on the fourth night of our stay. All four of us were at camp which was set up on the bank of Blackwater Creek, about 15 feet from the waters edge. That area of the creek is approximatly 12 feet in width from bank to bank. We had began to cook dinner and were still carrying on conversations about our sighting of a hairy creature two days prior, with the other installers ribbing us saying we must had been drinking on the job and such. There was a cooler that we had tied to a rope and placed in the creek to keep the contents cool. As we were eating a loud splash from across the creek startled everyone. One of the other installers ran down to the creek and found that our cooler was gone, as well as the rope and stick it was tied to. We all walked down to the creek bank but there was no sounds other than the normal water movement. The missing cooler was chalked up to raccoons or an alligator. As we settled back into eating, one of the guys walked away to relieve himself, as he returned to the truck everyone looked at him, he was silent and all the color was gone from his face, he just looked at me and said "I'm sorry, I will never doubt anything you tell me again, ever". Not sure what he meant at the time, I asked him what happened, he quietly turned and pointed, saying "someone or something was standing on the other side of the creek watching me pee". It was obvious he was actually scared speechless. I grabbed a spotlight and we all walked down to the spot where he was standing. As I was hitting the treeline with the light there was no sight of any movements, eyeshine or anything so I stepped as close to the waters edge as I could. As soon as I turned the light back on and the beam hit the other side of the creek, we heard a loud grunt, almost similar to a pig, I panned to our left and that's when it all happened. A large bipedal, hair covered animal stood up from behind a group of palmetto bushes. It stood fully erect, the light shine of the eyes were almost gold, it reacted to the light hitting its eyes like a person would, by throwing it's forearm up in front of its face, let out a chilling sound (not a grunt, more like a short howl) unlike anything any of us had heard, it then turned and fled, vanishing like before. All of that happened in just seconds and all four of us witnessed it. We immediately packed up our gear, went to a motel and stayed at the motel until the job was finished. Three of us later went to the FL fish and wildlife office and reported what we had seen. It was during that report when I first heard the term "skunk ape" or even that there had been other sightings of this type. I can honestly tell you, without any doubt, it was not mistaken identity. I grew up as a hunter and outdoorsman and I know what bears look like and also how they act in the wild, it was not a bear, it was definately a primate of some type. Till this day I am effected by the encounters.

OTHER WITNESSES: 4, working/camping

OTHER STORIES: Only after reporting.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: First encounter was early dawn, misty morning. Second was pitch dark, early night.

ENVIRONMENT: Remote, swamp, forest. Wekiva river Basin.

The witness - a Manager, and his crew was contracted to put up a barbed wire fence that facilitated the owners of the property for hunting. Because the fence was so large the men decided to camp on the property for a week’s time. The first day was uneventful, but that night a noise described as a “squealing whoop” was heard at dusk. After some discussion, the men could not identify the animal sound and it was forgotten. The next day all the equipment arrived and camp was set up. The second day, they woke up early and began to clear an area for the fence posts. While they were running a string, they smelled a foul “sulphury- musky “smell and joked, blaming each other for the smell. Shortly after that, the Manager and another worker noticed what they thought was a fellow worker about 60 yards away standing in the tree line. They yelled out to him and quickly realized it wasn't one of them. The bipedal individual looked at them when they yelled, and walked out of the tree line into a better view. It was about 6 feet in height and stood initially with its hands placed on its chest, so the elbows were sticking out. This enabled them to see that the hair on its arms hung several inches long. The coloring of the creature was brownish-red. When it dropped its arms to its side, they hung past the knees. It turned and looked at them: its face was described as long and “ape-like,” but with a human nose. Its face appeared darker than its body. (Witness was unsure if it was skin or hair that made it appear darker.) It then walked away with purpose, and he noticed it had a protruding forehead, a short neck and it seemed to have a “hunched back.” It walked back into the trees and just camouflaged right into it. The Manager assumed at first that a gorilla must have escaped. The worker, a South American native said out loud, “El viejo hombre de las montañas!” - “It is the old man of the mountains!” He had heard of a bigfoot type legend from his native country, Columbia.

Both men being of the outdoor type, went fearlessly to investigate. They found a game trail where it had come from and returned to. The odor they had smelled earlier was stronger there, and they could hear something moving away from them.

They shared the story with the others and continued working. One worker in particular took pleasure in the continuation of teasing them about “the Wildman". Three nights later during dinner, a splash was heard. One of the men investigated and had found that the cooler full of cold cuts they had tied to a tree was gone. The cooler had been placed in the river to keep it cool. They looked and found no trace of the rope or cooler. Thinking a bear, alligator or raccoon would have chewed the rope and destroyed the cooler, they thought it odd there was no trace of either anywhere. It seemed something had untied the rope and took both. After dinner, at camp the particular worker that had teased them walked out of camp to do his business near the river’s edge. When he returned, the Manager claimed he was very quiet and looked as if he’d seen a ghost. It was clear to all something had happened. He quietly said, “I will never make fun of you guys again. There is someone out there, on the other side of the creek.” The men grabbed flash lights, and began to smell the odor again as they were lead to the spot. From across the Blackwater Creek (about 15 feet across) they saw a dark bipedal figure. The flashlights returned orange/red eye shine. The creature put its forearm up, attempting to block the light and let out a very deep, loud, guttural noise. The Manager described the noise as deeper than a wild boar. The creature backed away from the light and disappeared into the woods. The sulphur type odor hung in the air.

At that time, the men agreed to pack up the camp and go to a hotel. They didn’t want to spend the night with the strange creature so close. The next morning they returned, and found human like, but smeared foot prints.

Later, three of the men spoke to a Fish and Wildlife officer. He was the person who suggested they had seen a Skunk Ape. Up until that time none of the men had heard that term before.

This encounter occurred near the Seminole Forest WMA , Seminole State Forest and Wekiva River basin. These areas run together and create over 12,000 acres of swamp, scrub, pine woods and springs. It has an abundance of all types of native wildlife. An area very near this encounter is under continued investigation by BFRO.

R. Monteith has had a life-long interest in Bigfoot and has an extensive background in outdoor land and ocean survival as well as mountaineering. She has tran-sailed the Atlantic, backpacked in remote places throughout the world and has climbed three of the seven summits. She studied International Relations at Florida International University, and is a Financial Consultant. She has participated in many private expeditions as well as the 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 BFRO North Florida Expeditions and the 2013 BFRO UP Michigan & Alabama Expedition.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:49 am 

Quote:
Report # 22358 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Monday, December 17, 2007.
Hiker Discovers Possible Bigfoot Scat in Rock Springs State Park
YEAR: 2007

MONTH: March

DATE: 15

LOCATION DETAILS: SR 46 west. The park is south of SR 46 just past the Wekiwa River and north of the main Wekiwa River State Park. Trail is on the west side of the main park road approximately 1/4 mile past the main gate.

NEAREST TOWN: Mount Plymouth

NEAREST ROAD: SR 46

OBSERVED: To this day I cannot honestly say this was a sighting or not. I will leave that conclusion to those with more knowledge of Sasquatch behavior to decide. At the time my knowledge of Sasquatch, Bigfoot or the skunk-ape was limited only to what I had seen on t.v. or read in the papers rarely. In fact, I was under the belief that the Patterson tape had been debunked and bigfoot was probably a myth. It was a clear March day and I being off from work decided to take a day hike in Rock Springs State Park. The park is not heavily used I think mainly because its reputation for a healthy black bear population keeps city dwelling day hikers well clear of it. I have hiked many time in bear country and the idea of a bear encounter wasn't a worry. I decided on a loop trail approximately 2 miles in length basically as a warm up then planned on hiking different parts of the area. The woods very basically slash pine and palmetto with clear scrub meadow and shallow swamp areas a little deeper in. A well defined trail led through the palmetto. About 1/2 a mile in I noticed the woods had become very quiet and I began to feel as if I was not alone but being watched. In the middle of the trail I came upon a very large of very fresh scat. It was directly centered in the middle of the trail and the stools were incredibly large and long approximately 3 having lengths of between 9 and 11 inches. This was not bear scat as I have seen piles of that before and never saw continuous lengths of stool such as this. Again feeling that I was not alone I developed the strangest feeling that this was there for me to find and that it was meant as a warning not to go further. The fear I felt became almost irrational but I had no doubt I should turn around and leave this area. I have spent many hours in the woods but had never felt this type of flight or fight feeling. I now know that primates have used scat to mark territory and warn others away. Could this have been a warning left by a primate to me? I honestly don't know.

ALSO NOTICED: Nothing

OTHER WITNESSES: No

OTHER STORIES: No

TIME AND CONDITIONS: 10:00 AM, sunny and very clear. Weather was cool approximately 72 degrees.

ENVIRONMENT: Slash pine/palmetto. Well marked trail through palmetto. Approximately 1/2 mile there are large clearings of younger undergrowth filling in previous burn areas.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator David Wright:

This witness was interviewed for nearly an hour by phone on 12/18/07. He was found to be intelligent, articulate and expressive. His encounter occurred in Rock Springs State Park, in Lake County in a pine flatwoods environment. According to the witness, "This area serves as a wildlife corridor between the Wekiva Springs State Park to the south and the Seminole State Forest to the north." About 1/4th of a mile from the park entrance is a pull off at the trail head of the trail where this encounter took place. About 1/2 of a mile down the trail is where the witness began to experience what he described as "weird feelings". He noticed that all the normal animal sounds including birds, cicadas, and the like, had ceased. These feelings included a very strong sensation of being watched. It was immediately thereafter, just a little farther up the trail where he encountered the scat in the middle of the trail. In addition to his reported description concerning the size of the scat, he stated that it was very dark in color, and contained no visible, identifiable contents, such as undigested plant matter, berries, berry seeds, fur, or acorn shells, as one might expect if it were bear scat. It was at this time that he was overcome with an extreme feeling of dread and trepidation, as though something was saying "get the heck out of here!" He did exactly that, terminating his hike.

He stated that he had 30 years of experience in the woods hiking, camping, and hunting and had encountered bear scat numerous times. He stated that this specimen was very, very much larger than anything he had ever encountered.

About BFRO Investigator David Wright:

Certified Florida Master Naturalist (U. of Florida)
Visual Tracker, Level 1
Teaches Biology, A.P. Biology, Ecology, and Environmental Science at a rural high school SE of Jacksonville
See local TV interview with D. Wright
Participated in the 2007 Private Florida Expedition [Click the video link on that page.], the 2007 South Carolina Expedition, the 2008 South Florida Expedition and assisted with the organization of the 2008 North Florida Expedition. Assisted with the organization of the 2009 Central Florida Expedition.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:50 am 

Quote:
Report # 14100 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Monday, March 13, 2006.
Knocks heard in the Ocala National Forest
YEAR: 2006

MONTH: March

DATE: 11

LOCATION DETAILS: We all expeditioners know it as the sinkhole and it is near FR 445 N.

NEAREST TOWN: Altoona or Astor

NEAREST ROAD: highway 19

OBSERVED: The incident that my friend and I experienced was weird but not uncommon. It was a follow-up trip from a BFRO expedition and just lasted the weekend. There were about 12 expeditioners and it was in Central Florida. The first night didn't see much action. The next day which was saturday was when a friend and I decided to check out a location where sightings had previously occurred. We all visited this location before and saw or heard nothing. On this day we drove up to the sight because my friend had not been there. As soon as we got out of our vehicle we heard a loud whack! We both looked at each other and nodded our heads. About 20 seconds later we started to hear rythmic knocks. My friend was quite shocked at what he was hearing. That was when we decided to get out the baseball bat. I told Matt that whatever we heard responded back the same way we did. As this went on I decided to go out and investigate. That was what we were there for so I walked around the area. I saw no tracks or anything around the sandy areas so I decided to go beyond this area into the woods. Matt and I kept radio contact the whole time. Another member of our trip was also monitoring our conversation from a couple of miles away. Once I got into the woods there was alot of fallen leaves on the ground and every time I took a step I made alot of noise. The freaky part is that when I would stop I could distinctly hear something moving about 60 yards in front of me. It sounded bipedal and it's steps were louder than mine. Meanwhile back at the truck, Matt was still hearing knocks. I kept making excuses fot what it could be. There was a slight breeze blowing through so I figured maybe the trees close together were maybe bumping. That excuse went out the window when the knocks turned rythmic. Also the walker I heard made me assume that maybe possibly I was walking onto someones property. My other friend who was listening to our talk stated that the whole area was nothing but woods and eventually I would run into a lake. He knew this because his cabin was only a mile or so away. The walking continued fot about 8 to 10 minutes. After it stopped I decided to book. I thought it unwise for me to wander further into the woods alone. As soon as I got back Matt stated that the knocks had also stopped. The remainder of the trip went pretty dry. We have established our own Florida chapter and will have to follow-up on this sight.

ALSO NOTICED: The forest was really quiet

OTHER WITNESSES: My friend from work Matt

OTHER STORIES: We have interviewed a woman who says her brother saw a creature while dirt bike riding.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Happened around 1:00 in the afternoon

ENVIRONMENT: It was a pretty hot day with a slight breeze. The sinkhole is basically a big sandpit and it is surrounded by forest. The Ocala National Forest namely.

Follow-up investigation report:

Enrique is an Investigator for the BFRO and lives in the Jacksonville area. Investigators will often develop working relationships within their territories or states and check out hot areas as a group.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:50 am 

Quote:
Report # 12903 (Class B)
Submitted by witness Tony S. on Wednesday, October 26, 2005.
Stalking in swamp during Florida BFRO expedition
YEAR: 2005

SEASON: Winter

MONTH: February

DATE: 12

OBSERVED: My second night on the Florida expedition, I set up my camp in the hot area and had one of the most terrifying nights of my life. For the first two hours after dusk, I was by myself and heard what seemed to be three large animals, breaking branches and knocking on trees all around my camp; they moved in what sounded like a triangular pattern, came between me and my vehicle, which was only 20 yards away, and broke a branch that had to be thicker than my wrist.

Later in the evening, we heard a very strange, gurgling sound that sounded like nothing I have ever heard before. All this was followed by a 25 second tree-knocking session that would have amazed anyone who heard it.

These sounds had to be made by an animal with opposable thumbs; if they were made by humans, they would have had to have been able to navigate one nasty swamp in pitch black dark with the speed and agility of a cat.

The guys that camped at that site the next night had audio recorders and got some. As for me we had one low quality tape recorder that didn't pick up more than the wind. I have since obtained a bird call digital recorder with mic.

The next trip will be easier because we confirmed the area to focus on last time.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: After dark, before midnight.

ENVIRONMENT: Forest, swamps

Profile Personal album