Time to look at the old newspapers again.

This is for anything not covered by other forums here, it's the general discussion forum.
Forum rules
This forum will sometimes contain copyrighted information, however, it is placed here under Title 17

Not withstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
BiggJimm
MABRC Forum Administrator
MABRC Forum Administrator

Time to look at the old newspapers again.

Post by BiggJimm » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:24 am

Many newspapers printed stories of "bear encounters" that today have been thrown out as exaggerated or hoaxed just
simply because it is completely at odds with bear behavior. But maybe the stories are neither. Case in point, I will provide
an example.
CITIZENS OF OAK GROVE, ARKANSAS, were undoubtedly shocked when
they read their local paper in the first week of January 1878—but not as
shocked as John Ferguson had been. Ferguson’s “little daughter,” probably
playing in the recent snow, had been snatched up by what locals described
as a “huge bear.” The black bear “carried her off and, as strange
as it may seem “not a single member of
the family went to her relief.” The next day, following a sorrowful night
for the Ferguson family, “neighbors took [the bear’s] trail in the snow
and followed him to his den and found the little girl unhurt, and she
seemed well satisfied with her new home
Arkansas Daily Gazette (Little Rock), January 11, 1878, p. 3
While its easy to believe stories like this are made up due to it not being consistent with bear behavior, it is
as it turns out consistent with primate behavior. Mother apes and monkeys that have lost an infant will often
try to steal other primate infants, even those of other species. This is very well documented. Sadly it often doesn't
end well.

others describe bears moving like a human
amanda kimball interview.jpg
Little River County 1860s.jpg
If you replace the word bear with bigfoot then they seem to make a lot more sense. The behavior in all three cases has
been reported in bigfoot encounters, but not by bears. Perhaps the stories were not exaggerations.
The backwoods Mad Scientist

Return to “General Discussion”

• You do not have permission to post in chat.
@ admin « Tue 1:35 am »
Hey Yankeesearch, didn’t even know you were in chat, now you have the bug so bad you will have to keep going out to see another one. :)
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:56 am »
Anyway, as I stand before God, I did not make this up!
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:55 am »
Not saying it was Sq/BF/DM/Yeti... but it was strange. And I am locking my doors tonight for sure! :lol:
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:54 am »
And just I was turning away, I thought I heard snort -- which could have been deer or maybe cattle... but... I do not know.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:53 am »
I did not have the creepy feeling I normally get in these situations... so I really do not know what to make of it.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:53 am »
One detail I forgot to mention: the whoop had almost a human like talk after it on both occasions.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:52 am »
I walked back to the other side, and thought I heard a knock...
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:51 am »
Cattle about 1/8th mile away disappeared... and strangely at that location: it sounded like something banged the metal fence. Not loud... but never ever heard it before tonight.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:50 am »
Two whoops... and some deer scattering (they may have been scattering because of me).
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:50 am »
From 6:20 PM to maybe 6:45 PM CST
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:49 am »
I may have just had an encounter!
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:46 am »
Hi gang! I know it has been a long time...
@ BrianDriver « Sat 12:59 pm »
Good quality pics. How long were the cams out?
@ admin « Thu 9:09 pm »
Just to get the chat going, it’s going to take some time to move over all the data, but in the end, hope everyone likes the layout here.

Who is chatting