Can We Do Better Research?

This is for anything not covered by other forums here, it's the general discussion forum.
Forum rules
This forum will sometimes contain copyrighted information, however, it is placed here under Title 17

Not withstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
Rebelistic
MABRC Forum Moderator
MABRC Forum Moderator

Can We Do Better Research?

Post by Rebelistic » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:26 am

I posted this on my research thread but after thinking a bit more I thought I would also put it here and add to it.

After doing a couple of expeditions last month it got me to thinking. The first one the Bennett Expedition, we had some newer folks involved so we as a team went back to the basics and discussed some possible signs and went looking for them as we went throughout the area. Upon finding what may be structures, I left a dropbox in the area overnight. When doing the review it was real interesting in what was recorded.

In my research area I guess I have gotten complacent. I have areas that I become accustom using the same listening post areas as they have been productive. I've gotten complacent on looking for areas close to the activity to get better audio. Am I missing some better stuff because I am not being more proactive in getting the better results?

One thing that we discussed during the Memorial Expedition was the different ways we research. Sawdust was there and being new to the game we all seemed to share some more of the basics. It really got me thinking. Is the keys to success in this stuff to keep looking for newer and better places in our research areas? I have gotten the idea that my troop may be too comfortable around us that they are being less curious or maybe avoiding us altogether?. The activity is still there just not to the extent it was a couple years back. Do I need to do a better job at catching them off guard by changing what I do?

Do I need to start the hunt again for where they are traveling and doing things? These are all things that I am thinking about to continue to get results. I do think it is time to go back to the basics and spend more boot time in the woods during the day to see what and where things are changing. I am hoping this year to spend some times in other areas to collect audio to be able to compare the audio in different areas. I think for me it is time to change my game plan to stir things up a bit.

One question I would like to add is: Are we as researchers getting the best results we can get? We all have our little niches which seems to work for us, but are we continuing to advance? I think we all could do better. Are we still going after them or are we settling for what we get. Maybe it is time we all go out and explore our area better so we can possibly get better results. I realize that time is limited for us when we go out. If we can do some more foot work into finding the possible signs and travel areas, couldn't we increase our chances of getting better results? With them seeming to be so adaptable are they avoiding us in our areas? Could changing to new locations within our areas, could we get better results? I know that I seem to have hit a lull in my area. But is that because of me and not them. I think we can all suffer burnout in one form or another at times, but is it because we are not advancing our research tactics? When I first got into this I was doing it more for the fun of it. Now with the unknown stuff I have recorded, I seem to become more obsessed with it and wanting to compile more and more. But my way of doing things hasn't changed.

So how do I change it? Back to the basics? Any thoughts and ideas are sure welcome.
American by Birth Rebel by Right!

Evidence Review Board Member

sawdustt

Re: Can We Do Better Research?

Post by sawdustt » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:26 am

I don't know all the answers you are searching for but there are some things I do know. I know that you will be successful. Trust your instincts, they will not fail you. Your thought process, ability to think outside of the box along with you sharing knowledge and seeking knowledge will prove fruitful.

I keep reflecting on Project Silent Hills and one thing other than the unexpected results is I think about all the researchers out there (thousands of them) but it was your brainchild that brought this theory to light.

Keep up the good work my Brother!!!

BiggJimm
MABRC Forum Administrator
MABRC Forum Administrator

Re: Can We Do Better Research?

Post by BiggJimm » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:30 pm

There is always room for improvement in our methodology
The backwoods Mad Scientist

Return to “General Discussion”

• You do not have permission to post in chat.
@ admin « Tue 1:35 am »
Hey Yankeesearch, didn’t even know you were in chat, now you have the bug so bad you will have to keep going out to see another one. :)
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:56 am »
Anyway, as I stand before God, I did not make this up!
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:55 am »
Not saying it was Sq/BF/DM/Yeti... but it was strange. And I am locking my doors tonight for sure! :lol:
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:54 am »
And just I was turning away, I thought I heard snort -- which could have been deer or maybe cattle... but... I do not know.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:53 am »
I did not have the creepy feeling I normally get in these situations... so I really do not know what to make of it.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:53 am »
One detail I forgot to mention: the whoop had almost a human like talk after it on both occasions.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:52 am »
I walked back to the other side, and thought I heard a knock...
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:51 am »
Cattle about 1/8th mile away disappeared... and strangely at that location: it sounded like something banged the metal fence. Not loud... but never ever heard it before tonight.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:50 am »
Two whoops... and some deer scattering (they may have been scattering because of me).
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:50 am »
From 6:20 PM to maybe 6:45 PM CST
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:49 am »
I may have just had an encounter!
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:46 am »
Hi gang! I know it has been a long time...
@ BrianDriver « Sat 12:59 pm »
Good quality pics. How long were the cams out?
@ admin « Thu 9:09 pm »
Just to get the chat going, it’s going to take some time to move over all the data, but in the end, hope everyone likes the layout here.

Who is chatting