Is Facebook killing research?

This is for anything not covered by other forums here, it's the general discussion forum.
Forum rules
This forum will sometimes contain copyrighted information, however, it is placed here under Title 17

Not withstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
Rebelistic
MABRC Forum Moderator
MABRC Forum Moderator

Is Facebook killing research?

Post by Rebelistic » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:37 pm

I am no different than everybody else, I have gotten to where I can a like Facebook. During hours of audio review, it seems to fill time fairly well. However, recently I have seen myself and others seeming to spend more time on Facebook trying to debunk these computer know it all's instead of focusing on things to improve my research. These forums used to be a very active place, so what has happened? Are we spending all of our time rehashing old crap that is circulating on Facebook, rather than spending time actively pursuing ideas and knowledge of how to better our research?

Sure, some of the sightings reports there can be insightful. But you have to go through to tons of BS in order to find it. Is that really a help to our research or to the group? I do not think there is very many of us that got into Bigfoot research because of something we read on Facebook. Are we as a group, spending so much time debunking and time and time telling people of the hoaxes out there that were not spending time studying what is needed to keep our research on course. I guess for myself, I have gotten to the point where I really do not care what is on Facebook Bigfoot sites. The more time I waste there, the less time I am spending doing real research.

Is it the and MABRC's spot to try to make accountability to those on the Internet? I do not think so. And I for one am very frustrated with myself wasting as much time on it as I do. We all know there are those that are in it for nothing more than to make a name for themselves. We all know there are those out there that can be computer experts on everything. Is it doing any justice to the field of research and the collection is evidence to hopefully prove the existence of the critter we are out in the woods studying? By no means am I trying to be critical of anyone other than myself, but I see a lot of the MABRC folks on Facebook, beating a dead trees trying to get the nuts to fall out only to get new nuts to replace them.

The only real way of shutting these know it all's up is to continue to do what we do best. Go out to the woods, collect the audio, the video, the thermal, the casts, and the other stuff that we do best. Have we all got to a point where were spending more time disproving other people's stuff and too little collecting their own? For myself, if I shut down Facebook for just a couple hours a week and spent that amount of time doing research on techniques that work from other reputable groups as well as the MABRC would not I be better off? Come on folks, we used to have one of the best forums out there, and now it seems like nobody spends any time here, or if they do, they are not sharing. And I do include myself in this again, I am not pointing fingers at anyone. Having the forums and the good people on it, was what first brought me to the MABRC.

It's time to get back to the basics and do what we do best!
American by Birth Rebel by Right!

Evidence Review Board Member

admin
MABRC Chief Forum Administrator, MABRC Executive Director
MABRC Chief Forum Administrator, MABRC Executive Director

Re: Is Facebook killing research?

Post by admin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:38 pm

Author: YankeeSearch [ Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:53 pm ]
Post subject: Re: Is Facebook killing research?
It is like anything else on facebook:
You have some dedicated people who are willing to have an adult conversation; some who are just head oarsmen on the trouble stirring committee; some who are just there for a whim...
It was that way for anything on facebook involving a discussion of God, or a of a politician... and so on.
This is a place where dedicated people discuss but among more serious group of people.

Author: Arklatex [ Sun May 01, 2016 3:33 pm ]
Could be contributing for sure. Facebook is spectacular at reuniting old friends and flames as well as destroying relationships, marriages and friendships. Lol. The current Bigfoot craze overall I feel is the worst. Rookies see this stuf and try and go out have no idea what they're doing and get hurt, lost or destroy someones research progress. Rookies like these would go camp, hear a twig snap at night then freak out and open fire on the woods. This is where research gets Dangerous. I feel the current Bigfoot craze for sure helps spawn these types of.....people. Jus sayin... Lol. I do not attack others research and honestly have no time for it. I spend more time in the field than anyone I personally know. Just like anything else, you have your "experts" everywhere. Good for them. I keep it largely to my own. If you don't stray too far from your comfort bubble, you will always be safe! ;)

Arklatex

Author: YankeeSearch [ Sun May 01, 2016 8:58 pm ]
This forums seems a bit more quiet of late... is this because they are on FACEBOOK?
Author: Nightwind [ Mon May 02, 2016 11:13 am ]

Good morning fella's, Thought I would drop in on this conversation. As far as for face book, I try to keep on the main page, I read some of the personal for close and distant friends and family, as I'm so far from family. I enjoy the post pictures from Rebel and the misses, I make comment on some but not all. I prefer to put my research here. MABRC. My research is for my Bigfoot Family, and those who are interested enough to come to the site. I have been getting out side more now that the long winter (might) be over. I'm not as young as I used to be, So now I need to be more careful on this Sunny side of the mountain, as it is slick right now. Take care and be safe. Nightwind

Author: Rebelistic [ Mon May 02, 2016 2:10 pm ]
YankeeSearch wrote:
This forums seems a bit more quiet of late... is this because they are on FACEBOOK?

It could be part of it but we all have life that keeps us busy too. The more people that share here the busier it will get.

Return to “General Discussion”

• You do not have permission to post in chat.
@ admin « Tue 1:35 am »
Hey Yankeesearch, didn’t even know you were in chat, now you have the bug so bad you will have to keep going out to see another one. :)
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:56 am »
Anyway, as I stand before God, I did not make this up!
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:55 am »
Not saying it was Sq/BF/DM/Yeti... but it was strange. And I am locking my doors tonight for sure! :lol:
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:54 am »
And just I was turning away, I thought I heard snort -- which could have been deer or maybe cattle... but... I do not know.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:53 am »
I did not have the creepy feeling I normally get in these situations... so I really do not know what to make of it.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:53 am »
One detail I forgot to mention: the whoop had almost a human like talk after it on both occasions.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:52 am »
I walked back to the other side, and thought I heard a knock...
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:51 am »
Cattle about 1/8th mile away disappeared... and strangely at that location: it sounded like something banged the metal fence. Not loud... but never ever heard it before tonight.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:50 am »
Two whoops... and some deer scattering (they may have been scattering because of me).
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:50 am »
From 6:20 PM to maybe 6:45 PM CST
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:49 am »
I may have just had an encounter!
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:46 am »
Hi gang! I know it has been a long time...
@ BrianDriver « Sat 12:59 pm »
Good quality pics. How long were the cams out?
@ admin « Thu 9:09 pm »
Just to get the chat going, it’s going to take some time to move over all the data, but in the end, hope everyone likes the layout here.

Who is chatting