Hello to our Guest
Welcome to the Mid-America Bigfoot Research Center Forums!
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: BFRO RIO ARRIBA COUNTY
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:42 am 
MABRC Forum Administrator, MABRC Western Oklahoma State Director, Mid-South Regional Assistant Director
MABRC Forum Administrator, MABRC Western Oklahoma State Director, Mid-South Regional Assistant Director

Medals: 32
Quote:
Report # 12418 (Class B)
Submitted by witness Pam R. from Albuquerque on Friday, August 26, 2005. Various sounds heard during the BFRO's Jemez Mts. expedition
YEAR: 2005

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: August

DATE: 11-14

STATE: New Mexico

COUNTY: Rio Arriba County

LOCATION DETAILS: Jemez Mountains ; North-Central New Mexico

OBSERVED: I am new to this stuff, so I won't even try to cover everything related to this trip. That's for others to talk about. I can tell about what I observed and heard.

There were about twenty five people at the BFRO's Jemez Mts. expedition in northern New Mexico a few weeks ago. Several things happened during the expedition. I'll only describe what I observed personally, from where I was standing or sitting at the time.

If you were on this trip, and you don't see me mentioning the other incidents that happened closer to your positions, then please write them up yourself. This is what I personally experienced.

Pam R.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

[Portions below are edited by BFRO editors]

Thursday, August 11th:

Day : Bright and Sunny

I, along with my sister our two boys, followed the expedition group along mountain roads near the first base camp to help find views over elk grazing areas where the guides could blast and listen.

Several good spots were found and noted by GPS units. All of were at high elevations and had breathtaking views across vast mountain forests and canyons. The guides needed to see as many of these locations as possible while it was still light, so we kept moving most of the time. We explored these mountains for hours and only passed two other vehicles and one ranch house.

Night : Rainy and Windy

Most people headed out for the view locations visited during the day. My sister and another lady remained at the base camp to rest and listen for sounds in that area.

Blasting at first location : Nothing heard.

There was a lot of wind and rain from the west. No animals were heard responding to the blasts, not even coyotes or owls. The decision was made to move around to the east facing slope, away from the winds.

Blasting at second location : We heard some things.

Unlike at the first blasting location, there was very little wind and rain on this side of the mountain.

The guides said the east side of the mountain would get the usual afternoon rain coming up from the Gulf of Mexico, but it was pretty sheltered from the storms blowing in from the west.

There was only a slight drizzle once we got up on the east slope, and there were patches of fog hanging in the gullies.

My two boys (Nick and Will), and I drove past the blasting site (#2) about 1/4 mile (using left fork in road at blasting site). One boy was asleep in the bed of the pickup truck.

Around the first curve, the headlights lit up a small cloud of dust swirling in the road, as if an animal has just got off the road in a hurry.

We drove slowly through the dust swirl. The ground was too rocky and gravelly for tracks.

Not far beyond the swirl of dust, a bank of thick fog covered the road. We drove into the fog bank and pulled up to a clearing on the left, about 1/4 mile up the road from the blasting crew. We stopped and shut off all lights.

Both boys were in the bed of the pickup truck and I was inside with the windows down. I heard nothing for a while. After a few minutes, the boys said they heard the sounds of sticks breaking inside the tree-line.

The fog was too thick for us to see inside the tree-line. The source of the sound did not seem to move. There were occasional branch snapping sounds coming from one direction. This lasted for about two minutes.

We could hear the blasts from down the road, but heard no responses to the blasts. After about an hour of hearing nothing more, we drove back down to the blasting team.

At the blasting site I continued to listen for several minutes. I was very tired by now and cold. I needed to relieve myself, and I'm female, so I turned on a flashlight and marched up the road just far enough away to find some privacy.

I walked in the opposite direction of where we had seen the dust swirl in the road. When I rounded the first curve in that direction, I was "hit" with a series of low pitched growls (about 7 or 8) that seemed to come from the tree line directly ahead of me.

I stopped for a few seconds to make sure of what I was hearing. The growls were distinct, but very low pitched and just barely audible. I could feel the hum of the growls in my chest area. It seemed like I could feel the sounds better than I could hear them. Then, there was a louder growl which I could hear much better. That caused me to run back to the truck and my boys.

I went toward the truck and whispered to Nick and Mike that I had been growled at. We walked back toward where I had heard the growls. On the way down Mike stopped me and said he saw movement in the brush. I heard branches snapping in the same direction. The three of us moved back to the truck and tried to call the others via the walkie-talkie.

As I fiddled with the radio I heard loud moos and bellows from some cows in a gully below us. I had the impression that they were spooked by something. I got in the pickup truck to warm up.

Nick walked with Mike Sedillo and the other guys down to where the leg of a young deer was found in the road.

Will and I sat bundled up in the vehicle with the windows down. After 20 or 30 minutes we heard a wild clamor of fighting coyotes in the woods uphill from us.

Among the fray of coyote sounds was something odd. It was a strange yowling. It stood out among coyotes' yips, yaps, and snarls. It sounded more like a human or an ape. This went on for about 45 seconds and then died down. I think a few people near the blasting area recorded it.

[See the link to the sound clip at the bottom of the page]

People were spread out at bit. Other people heard sounds that I did not hear from where I was. Many were distant sounds, some were closer. There were lots of different animal noises in this area (frogs, coyotes, owls, cattle, elk, etc.) compared to almost no animal sounds near the first blasting area.

It was getting very cold around 2:30 am. The plan for the next day was discussed. It was obvious that there was a higher concentration of animals in this area compared to the first area.

About six or seven people, including me, insisted that we also heard something that was not a 'known' animal.

Everyone agreed that we should focus on this area, and move the base camp closer to this area.

Friday morning, August 12 : Packed up Base Camp #1.

Everyone helped pull up camp near the first blasting location, and relocate it closer to where the sounds were heard the night before.

Friday night, August 13 :

At Base Camp #2 the guides recommended that we blast Tahoe screams and Ohio howls and some other sounds from base camp that evening, because the sounds would echo through the area where we were the night before. They said if what we heard the night before was actually a sasquatch, the blasts would likely attract it toward the base camp.

After the second blast a short but distinct "return call" was heard. It sounded very similar to the Tahoe recording, which is what they were using to blast with at that moment.

Some of the other people who heard it said (over the walkie-talkies) that it might have been a loud echo of the Tahoe recording. They radioed for Ed to blast it again, to see if they could hear the "echo" again. After a few tries, there was agreement that what was heard originally could not have been an echo, because we could not reproduce it.

Within 30 minutes or so, some of the other people said they could hear something walking in the woods on the north side of camp. There was some talk about how to respond to this, so as not to scare off whatever was stalking the camp, but rather to encourage it to come closer.

I didn't get to hear those sounds. My own tent was about 100 yards away from that group (Los Alamos team). What they heard at that point, and later on, is for them to tell.

Saturday morning, August 12:

We returned to blasting area #2 during the day and searched the area where Mike and Nick said they had been paralleled through the woods by something. We found some freshly overturned aspen trees and cow bones. We also found the spot where I think the growls had come from. Lots of possible impressions. The ground and leaf litter was too thick to make any identification of tracks.

Saturday around sundown, August 12:

The group I was with drove up the road beyond blasting area #2 and dropped off five of us (Nick, Will, Mike, Pam (me), and Brooke) to walk the road downhill. The drivers moved the vehicles ahead to make various sounds from their positions. They gave warnings over the radios, then made a particular sequence of sounds which they have heard in other areas. We could hear it clearly from our position. Everyone stood still and silent and listened for responses.

There was no immediate response. After about twenty minutes the sequence was repeated. Within a few seconds we heard at least two faint, womanish shrieks in the distance. The shrieks frightened my extremely skeptical sister. We assured her that those noises were peanuts compared to the ones the night before.

We listened for another twenty minutes and heard nothing. It started to rain so we drove back down to Base Camp #2. It was not far down the hill.

Blasts made from the base camp could be heard from this area, so we figured we could lure it toward the base camp by blasting a few times from there.

We went back and blasted from base camp. For about an hour we heard no responses, so we turned in for the night.

While in our tents, the four of us, who were camped farthest away from the other tents, heard whistle noises coming from the woods on the slope above us. There was more than one whistler and there might have been three.

They were not whistling continuously. It was an occasional back and forth exchange, but this went on for about an hour and we probably heard about 30 or 40 different whistles. They were definitely not elk whistles, and were too variable in tone and pitch to be bird. They sounded more like short, soft human whistles calling back and forth to each other as they moved to different parts of the hillside.

I fell asleep eventually but then awoke to the sound of two loud, heavy footsteps directly outside the tent. I thought at first that someone from the group had silently approached our tent and expected to hear someone call our names.

I whispered to my sister, "Did you hear that?" She tapped me on the shoulder twice, which I thought was a signal to go back to sleep. As it turns out, she was trying to tell me that she had heard it as well and wanted me to simply be quiet and listen some more. I went to sleep, and heard no more sounds that night.

The next day several people took time to look around the hillside where the whistles were heard. Several possible tracks had been found on a different part of that hillside the day before. More were found on Sunday. Bill and Brooke from San Francisco cast a few those. Some brush structures were found and photographed.

I'll leave it to the others to tell about the other things they heard and found.

OTHER WITNESSES: About 20 people?

TIME AND CONDITIONS: 2 a.m. (coyote sounds with yowling)

ENVIRONMENT: Pine forest ridge

Clip recorded on 8-11-05 by David Petti during the Rio Arriba County Expediton

About BFRO Investigator Eddie Flores:

Eddie Flores is a state licensed Cosmetology Instructor in El Paso, Texas. He served as a BFRO guide/detective on the Mescalero Apache Expedition (January 2005).

Post subject: Re: BFRO RIO ARRIBA COUNTY
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:43 am 

Quote:
Report # 11992 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Tuesday, June 28, 2005. Late night vocalizations heard near Dulce

MONTH: June

DATE: june 26, 2005

LOCATION DETAILS: (withheld)

NEAREST TOWN: dulce nm

NEAREST ROAD: (withheld)

OBSERVED: while camping protecting other equipment before a feats was starting. Early in the morning heard several screems from one of the canyon, we where camping at the entrance to two canyons. the screems where high pitch and whooping frist set of screems where about two min. long the secound was about min. i got up early and asked my nephew if heard the screeming he stated he heard it from up the canyon. i know the diffrence between a coyote, cougar, or bobcat screem it sounded nothing like it, it sounded more like the recorded screems, recorded by others over the net.

ALSO NOTICED: no frist time camping there

OTHER WITNESSES: one nephew, my two son where sleeping

OTHER STORIES: local people talk off seeing bigfoot in the area and joke about it and laugh it off.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: moon was half full, about 0330 hrs. clear skys no wind.

ENVIRONMENT: mountain valley, with ridges and canyons, pine forest,oak, ceder.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Eddie Flores:

The witness added that he heard eight screams, which were high-pitched like a siren.

Eddie Flores is a state licensed Cosmetology Instructor in El Paso, Texas. He served as a BFRO guide/detective on the Mescalero Apache Expedition (January 2005). Click here for the expedition report.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:20 am 

Quote:
Report # 11976 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Sunday, June 26, 2005. Vocalizations heard near Dulce

MONTH: June

DATE: 21

LOCATION DETAILS: Around the navajo river.

NEAREST TOWN: Dulce.

NEAREST ROAD: North of Navajo Street.

OBSERVED: DULCE NEW MEXICO

Around 2:55 am on the morning of June 21st, I was going outside to check the trash cans to check if there was room for more trash bags. As I walked outside I heard what sounded like a scream coming from over by the Navajo River area. The scream lasted for about 15 seconds. During the time there was absolutely no sounds, ie dogs barking, crickets, etc. It was interesting, and kind of scary.

OTHER WITNESSES: I'm not sure because it seems like I was the only one outside at the time but there very well may have been other witnesses.

OTHER STORIES:
....[See the BFRO Expedition report for the Jicarilla Apache Indian Reservation (September 2004). Click here for that report.]

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Early morning, 255am to be exact. It was clear and cool outside, and eerily quiet.

ENVIRONMENT: River environment, rocky environment.

The witness provided the following information when I spoke to him:

The witness heard three vocalizations in the span of a minute. He went inside to get his brother to see if he could hear it, but they heard nothing else. The Navajo river is about 3 miles away and the vocalizations came from that direction.

Eddie Flores is a state licensed Cosmetology Instructor in El Paso, Texas. He served as a BFRO guide/detective on the Mescalero Apache Expedition (January 2005). Click here for the expedition report.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:21 am 

Quote:
Report # 11109 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Wednesday, March 30, 2005. Close range night time sighting by water hauler near Gobernador (on BLM land)

SEASON: Winter

MONTH: January

DATE: cant rember

LOCATION DETAILS: this was in the oil field in gubnerdor on BLM land ans ranch land

NEAREST TOWN: gubnerdor nm.

NEAREST ROAD: hiway64

OBSERVED: I was in gubnerdor nm rio areba co. it was about 6:30 p.m. and i was in a oil field on blm land. im a water hauler and was heading out to the hiway and got stuck in a ditch. it was at this time that i saw it. i was sitting there and was looking around when i felt it starring at me .. i turned and looked out my drivers side windo and he was looking at me. he was about 3 to 6 feet away and it was dark and had just rained . i looked at him and turned on my side work lights and he put up his hands to block the light from his eyes and thats when i got a real good look at him .. he was about 7 or 8 foot tall and very musculer build hie hands where like a humon hand but bigger and his face was that of a gurillas but little more human and his hair was long and dark brown after a few seconds he let out a scream and turned around and ran off with very long strides and very smoth gat .. that was the 2nd. time i saw it out there and a friend saw it a time ot two .

ALSO NOTICED: no

OTHER WITNESSES: yes but not at the same time he saw it befor me

OTHER STORIES: a frend of mine saw it a month befor i did in about the same area

TIME AND CONDITIONS: it was about 6:30 p.m. weather was off and on sprincles snow mix dark but lite with work light on water truck

ENVIRONMENT: rolling hills out side the carson forest .it is also cattle ranch land

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:21 am 

Quote:
Report # 11526 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Sunday, May 01, 2005. Water hauler has late night encounter
YEAR: 2004

SEASON: Winter

MONTH: December

LOCATION DETAILS: (withheld)

NEAREST TOWN: bloomfield nm

NEAREST ROAD: hiway 64

OBSERVED: my name is ( withheld ) i am a water hauler i was working on some water pits early one morning in december around 3:30 am it was very cold that morning i had my work lights on around my truck i smelled what i thought was a dead animal when i noticed in the moonlight something very large on two legs running around my truck it wouldn't get near the light it seem to be afraid i didnt say anything to anybody one day i told one of my coworkers and he told me he had seen something a month earlier that looked like a animal on two legs and was chasing his truck the reason im telling you i read that the sighting was in january of this year in raton i was curious if its maybe the same thing this happened in ( withheld ) between bloomfield nm and dulce nm ( withheld ) my coworker and talked about what ever it was in feburary he called me one evening about 7:00 pm and told me he had seen it again and it was standing next to his door on the drivers side ive never heard of anybody being that afraid on the phone but to this day we havent heard of it being seen lately

ALSO NOTICED: i noticed that there were no animals around usually you see livestock around that area not even any deer

OTHER WITNESSES: the only other person i know that has seen it is my coworker we used to work in the same area i dont work there anymore

OTHER STORIES: just what my coworker had seen he said it had a face like a monkey he had a better look at it than i did

TIME AND CONDITIONS: early morning full moon cold

ENVIRONMENT: lotta steep hills pine cedar it was near the side of a mountain

The witness added the following information when I spoke to him:

• The witness was standing outside the truck next to the hoses.
• The animal was standing next to a well head about 30 – 40 yards away.
• The well head is no less than 6 feet tall and the animal was taller.
• The animal had black hair.
• The sighting lasted about 30 seconds.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:23 am 

Quote:
Report # 1553 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Wednesday, January 31, 2001. Numerous rocks thrown at elk hunters in deep forest near Tierra Amarilla
YEAR: 1998

SEASON: Fall

MONTH: November

DATE: Nov. 2 approx

NEAREST TOWN: Tierra Amarilla

NEAREST ROAD: Hwy 84

OBSERVED: Here's a little background about the events that led up to my encounter. I was preparing for a fall elk hunt in North-Central New Mexico. I had gathered together a pile of clothing for donation to my favorite local charity. On the Wednesday before I was to leave on my hunting trip I had taken this pile of clothes into my garage and was going to place them on a shelf to be delivered to the charity as soon as i returned from my hunting trip. I had just started to lean over my ATV when I wrenched my back. I was in the worst pain I had ever experienced. I crawled back into the house and climbed into bed. After about a day and a half's bed rest, I was eager to go hunting, though my back was still in great pain. I somehow managed the 3 hour trip to our regular hunting area.

After arriving at the campsite, my brother, my cousin, and myself downloaded the 3 ATV'S that we would be using on our hunt. This turned out to be a huge mistake on my part as I agrivated my already sore back. We sacked out for the night. In the morning we got up about 5:00 am. We rode up into the area that we would be hunting and separated. My brother and I were going to stay on a traditionally productive fenceline. Since my back was hurting from the ride up, my brother suggested that I take a stand and rest my back. I accepted his advice and took a stand near a clearing with a few good lanes. The weather, although clear and sunny, provided quite a chill. It wasn't long before the cold weather caused my back to tighten up. I was in excruciating pain. My first thought was to get into the nearest clearing where i could get the sun to shine on me and perhaps relieve the shivers.

It was at this time that i had decided that relief was a little more important than the prospect of bagging an elk. I literally crawled about 50 yards to the nearest clearing and leaned myself against a tree stump that stood no more than 20 inches above the ground. As I had hoped, the sun provided enough heat to stop the shivers. I was still pretty much imobile. But, the shivers were gone. As you can imagine, I was so focused on the pain in my back that I did not pay too much attention to my surroundings. It was about 9:00am at this point. As I was laying there, I kept hearing what I thought was a group of squirrels running up and down the forest pines that were nearest to me. I tried to lay as still as possible. But due to the pain in my back, my motions were jerky to say the least. I had my back to the sounds that I had thought were being created by scampering squirrels. But, as my jerky motions forced me to work my way in the directions of the sounds, I caught the glimpse of a softball sized rock bouncing off of the trees. At first I was a bit stunned at this. Then I recalled some old folklore that reffered to rock throwing as a "trademark" of the sausquach. Suddenly the realization hit me that in my condition (back pain), there was no way that I would be able to defend myself in a confrontation.
I tried to rationalize these flying rocks. But the thought of a hunter trying to scare game out of a relatively open clearing just did not jive. Besides, there was no way that even a pretty physically fit man could heave rocks of this size with a force that i would describe as dangerous (if the rock was to have hit a person), for more than a couple of minutes. I would have to say that the rocks were being thrown at intervals of less than 1 minute. At this time I was really starting to worry and was scared. Besides the sounds of the rocks bouncing off of the trees and hitting the ground, there was absolutely no noise. Well, the beating of my heart was pretty loud in my chest. I decided that something was really not right. I called my brother on our 2 way radios. He was about 500 or 600 yards away. By this time, the rock throwing had been going on for at least an hour and ten minutes. My brother arrived and saw the rocks as they bounded off of the trees and landed one by one just yards away from where we were huddled. If he hadn't seen and experienced the same thing I was, I would wonder if the whole experience was a hallucination. We talked about this strange event for a few minutes and we glassed the tree line for any sign of what we concluded could only be a "creature" throwing in what had to be an overhand motion (judging from the velocity of the flying stones). My brother and I witnessed this together for about 30 minutes after he arrived.

To this day, I have pondered what might have thrown those stones. The only two possibilities other than a Bigfoot that would have any possible validity are a bear rooting, or another hunter. But, based on the size of the rocks being thrown, the velocity, and the length of time that they were thrown for, it seems unlikely that either of the other 2 possibilities are in fact true. My brother and I are both experienced woodsmen and have hunted that area for a number of years. I have spent a great deal of time reading this as well as other quality Bigfoot websites. The thing that strikes me in particular is the pattern of stories in which the witness claims silence. These creatures seem to have the ability to move through the forests without making a great deal of noise. That is one other factor that makes me believe that my rock throwing experience was an
interaction with something that is not yet known to science.

Here are two more bits of information that may be of intrest. First, the rocks were exiting the trees at about 8 feet off of the ground (they were being thrown with pretty extraordinary force). Second, the terrain was relatively rocky. After the rocks stopped flying, my brother and myself ventured toward where we thought the rocks came from in search of whatever track or signs we could find. But due to the rocky nature of the terrain, we were unable to find a trace.

ALSO NOTICED: There was an erie silence. There were no signs of animals as I recall, just silence prior to and after the rock throwing.

OTHER WITNESSES: My brother and myself

OTHER STORIES: No other incidences. This area is heavily wooded and incredibly huge.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: The event occured between 9:00 and 10:30am. It was clear and sunny.

ENVIRONMENT: The environment was a very thick forested area. Elevation was approx 8800 feet above sea level. At the time of the occurance, I was located about halfway down a ridge. There were no real landmarks aside from a fenceline.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:24 am 

Quote:
Report # 8409 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Tuesday, March 30, 2004. Sasquatch reaches into tent of adult camper
YEAR: 1983

SEASON: Spring

MONTH: May

LOCATION DETAILS: Out of the town of Cuba, about 7 miles into the Santa Fe National Forest.

NEAREST TOWN: Cuba, New Mexico

NEAREST ROAD: Access road to a public campground; larger one #126.

OBSERVED: In May of 1983 (during the first week of May of that year), while camping in the Santa Fe National Forest in northern New Mexico, I experienced a most peculiar visitation.

I was 30 years old at the time and a trade school student in Albuquerque (machine drafting). I was part of a student group from the Southwest Indian Polytechnic Institute in Albuquerque. We were camping fairly high up in the mountains / hills on an alcohol-free student activity prior to the end of the school year. Our student advisor was a Mr. Ray Paytiamo from the Pueblo of Acoma, New Mexico.

Early that morning, at around four a.m., I was asleep in my own tent (alone) when I was actually awakened by an awful stench. This foul odor was so powerful, the "scent" actually burnt my nostrils. I sat up in my sleeping bag just in time to see a massive light-brown hairy arm reach into the tent through the front flap and start to "feel around."

Totally horrified, I started to hyperventilate, as this huge arm clearly was not human. Just as I was about to scream my lungs out, the arm drew back and out of the tent.

I was strangely aware then that there were two "creatures" right outside of my tent as I heard two separate and distinct "vocalizations" -one male and one female. Through the dim outside light (and through the tent material), I could make out at least two figures possibly eight feet in height.

The next thing I heard were these two beings "yelling" loudly as they apparently ran away from my tent.

I stayed awake until sunrise and was so enthralled by what had happened that I could not bring myself to tell anyone about this event (and at breakfast, no one else there was talking about any similar occurrence). I have never told anyone about this until earlier this year**.

**I reported this same event to another web site (in greater detail) several weeks ago and there was no comment from whoever maintains that particular site. Thus, I have provided this site with only a short version as I do not know how this account will be welcomed.

ALSO NOTICED: Nothing else other than what I have already described

OTHER WITNESSES: Just myself (as I have already indicated)

OTHER STORIES: No, I completed my training on May 20th, 1983 and have never returned to that area.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: At around 4:00 AM; one dim outside light (post) close to where I was at; overcast, visibility poor.

ENVIRONMENT: Hilly / mountainous area in northern New Mexico; forested; fairly isolated.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Dr. Wolf H. Fahrenbach:

The eye witness, who is Oglala Lakota, states that the scene was illuminated by a nearby sodium vapor lamp, which gave him a clear view in the tent and threw shadows of the two creatures. The arm was so hairy as to be "furry". The hair stopped at the wrist and the back of the hand was not hairy, with the skin colored black on both sides of the hand. The nails were extraordinarily long and projected beyond the fingertips for a total length of about 4". Their color was described as off-white, like candle wax. All fingers including the thumb were long in relation to the hand as a whole. The width of the palm was conservatively estimated at 9" and the length of the hand at 14" from wrist to fingertips.

The vocalizations outside his tent heard after the hand sighting consisted of animalistic grunts, groans, gurgling sounds and subdued screams, nothing remotely like words, higher pitched than the sounds made by an excited gorilla. They were the sounds of a male and female, as judged by their relative pitch. They both ran away from the campground, making hooting sounds akin to those of Indian warriors.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:26 am 

Quote:
Report # 20011 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Saturday, June 30, 2007. Hunters experience powerfull knocks on camper and hear vocalizations outside Jicarilla Indian Reservation
YEAR: 1982

SEASON: Fall

MONTH: November

LOCATION DETAILS: Game unit 5A, would have to draw map to give directions (see report above)

NEAREST TOWN: Lindrith, NM

NEAREST ROAD: forest roads, Hwy 595

OBSERVED: My encounter with ????????
The area and time:

My encounter occurred during the November rifle deer hunt of 1982. I was 14 years old, hunting deer with my father, grandfather, neighbor, and his son (same age as me). The area we were hunting is called Mud Springs in unit 5A. It is approximately 20 miles NW of Lindrith NM. The area we hunted is bordered on 3 sides by the Jicarilla Indian reservation.

The terrain of the area is a long cliff bluff on the West that leads down to several hills, knolls, and small canyons that dump out into big open flat lands to the East and North. There are several deep arroyos in the flat areas (10 to 20 ft deep) that are not visible from the dirt roads that access the area. The Eastern border of our hunting area is a group of gradual slopping mountains. The best way for me to describe the area is like a huge box canyon (2 miles wide, 5 miles long) with the cliff bluff as the Eastern border, and the gradual mountains as the Western border. The flats dump out and slope downward to the North. There is pretty much only one way in; a dirt road that comes in from the highway (595) from the Northeast. There are several natural gas pumps (look like oil wells) that run 24/7, and a quiet “thump, thump” can be heard pretty much any where you are on the flats from the pumps.

The vegetation consists of Sage brush (4 to 5 feet tall) on the flats, juniper trees on the hills and knolls, to Ponderosas on the top of the cliff and mountain tops. We have seen deer, elk, bear, coyotes, squirrels, rabbits, and a few mountain lions in the area. My father and Grandfather hunted the area since the late 60’s.

The story:
(forgive the over-explaining, trying to get all important details down)

It was late afternoon, my Grandfather and I returned to the camper by truck from hunting a nearby knoll that over-looked a water hole. The camper (in-bed cab over camper) was parked in an opening on the Southern end of the box canyon with the cliffs to the West of it. The camper/truck was in a spot where the nearest trees were 60 to 80 feet away on the North, West, and South sides of camp, The East side of camp faced the flats and the road. We were back a bit early (we usually stayed out till dark) because we had not seen a thing all day or the day before. We did not expect my father, neighbor, or his son back until after dark. It was cold (November), so my grandfather and I stayed inside the camper.

About a half hour after arriving, my grandfather started dinner so it would be ready when everyone else got back. Important note: My neighbor and his son had their own camper they were staying in parked perpendicular to ours. The back doors faced the center of camp where the fire pit was. My grandfather’s truck was parked hood to hood with my dad’s which had the camper on it. The tailgate of my grandfather’s truck was facing the flats to the NE. and the camper’s back door was facing SW. The hood of my neighbor’s truck was facing SE. (I wish I could submit a diagram of the scenario).

Right around dusk there was a loud bang on the side of the camper, I thought it was my dad, so I opened the back door of the camper and stepped down (I was young, and excited, hoping someone had seen or shot a deer). There was no one around. I was not scared, but thought my dad or neighbor’s son was messing around with us. I walked around all of the trucks, thinking he or they were hiding, not the case. We never took truck or camper keys out in the field hunting and kept them locked-up while we were gone. We hid the keys under a rock so whoever got back to camp first was able to get into the campers or truck. My neighbor’s camper was still locked-up. I did not get the keys and check if they were inside, just assumed they were not. I went back inside our camper; my grandfather (busy cooking hamburger helper) asked where they were. I told him I didn’t know. He squeezed past me (I was in between the door and him) and opened the door and started yelling at my dad. Something like “come on you f***ers, dinner is almost done!”. I don’t remember the exact dialogue but it was in a raised voice, and my father was known for messing around with my grandfather especially when my dad and neighbor where together (big jokers that brought the best out of each other). My grandfather was easily irritated by their antics. No one answered my grandfather’s ranting, he did not step out of the camper, but slammed the door shut, cussing under his breath. We sat there knowing they would be opening the door any minute; my grandfather was scooping out dinner and putting it on paper plates.

We sat there waiting for them for over an hour, it was well past dark when I heard them coming up the road to camp. They were walking brisk, talking, not worried about making noise as hunting hours were long over; my father was smoking a cigarette. My neighbor and his son got their keys and went inside their camper to put away their riffles and change clothes. My dad walked up to me and asked if we had seen anything (I was next to the truck door, were he was laying his riffle down on the seat). I told him no and then asked him where he went. He pointed towards the mountains to the East and said we were hunting up there. I said “no, where did you go after you came back here”, he looked at me puzzled and said “we just got here”. I blew it off, and went back inside following him. My grandfather was irritated still and was chewing him out for messing with us (I don’t remember the exact dialogue).
Since I had already eaten(and there is not much room is a camper), I climbed up on the cab-over bed and laid on my stomach, watching and listening to my grandfather and father bicker about the banging incident. The argument stopped when my neighbor and son came in. The son got up on the cab-over bed with me and ate his cold dinner (we were propped up on our elbows facing the adults who were sitting at the small table eating dinner. The banging incident did not get mentioned again (I don’t think my neighbor or his son knew anything or heard anything about it).

After they were done eating, discussion among the three adults was centered on whether we should stay another day, or leave in the morning and get back home (it was a terrible hunt, we had not seen any deer). My neighbor’s son and I wanted to make a camp fire, but were told not too because it was too cold outside, it was late, and we might leave in the morning and did not want to leave a smoldering fire.

All of a sudden, the “banging” (2 distinct hard bangs) on the side of the camper happened again. All five of us were in the camper, and the bangs were definitely on the side of the camper. It was like someone knocking , except it was more violent (like cops banging on a door before they break it in, it could not have been something falling on the roof, or someone throwing something at the side of the camper). Startled, my dad who was closest to the door grabbed his .357 mag that was in a drawer adjacent to the door and flung it open. He waited for about 3 seconds, and then stepped out. There was no one there. If it was a gentle knock, he wouldn’t have grabbed the gun right away; he would have opened the door to see who was out there. Whoever banged on the camper would have had to clear 60 feet of open ground very quickly to get to the nearest tree line. I don’t remember if it was a full moon, but it was bright enough to see a silhouette if there was one.

By then, my neighbor was up and out the door behind my father. He went into his camper and got his pistol. My grandfather went out also, but did not have a weapon. I suppose my father thought someone was stalking our camp on foot (if a vehicle pulled up, we would have heard it and seen head lights long before it got to camp). He started talking loudly (like he was speaking to an audience, not yelling), warning whoever was out there that we were hunters with guns. He got no reply. My father is a rational man, and is not quick to jump to the defensive; he did this time, so I knew something was wrong. The neighbor’s son and I stayed in the camper. After the adults walked around camp for about 5 minutes, my grandfather started a camp fire. They stood out there for about 10 minutes talking quietly about what had happened. They came to the conclusion that it must have been a drunken hunter or something, so they were going to stay out there for awhile to “ward-off” whoever was messing around.

My neighbor’s son and I went out, and all five of us sat around the fire only whispering. Nothing happened for about an hour, so everyone eased up and we started talking normal. I guess it was probably 8 or 9 o’clock at night when my father told us all to shut up. We all did and looked at him. He asked if we “heard that” about the time my neighbor said “heard what?” We all heard a screaming, moaning noise. There was about 10 seconds of silence, and we heard it again. It went on for about 15 minutes before my father, armed with his pistol, walked out of camp into the direction of the mountains to the east. Camp was situated towards the end of the “box canyon” so it was difficult to judge how far away, or which direction the screams were coming from. I followed my dad for about 100 yards down the road into the flat land. We stopped and stood in silence until we heard it again. As best we could tell it was coming from the tree line approximately 300 yards to the east across an arroyo at the foothills of the mountains. The screams came almost on a regular interval 15 to 30 seconds apart. It almost sounded like it was coming from multiple locations but it was difficult to tell because of echoing. We did not hear rustling or footsteps. But it was bright enough to see. If anything was moving in the open we would have been able to make it out, we saw nothing.

My dad decided to head in the direction we thought the screams were coming from. I stayed and watched him. He went across the arroyo and emerged about 50 yards from the edge of the tree line. By then, the screams ceased. I think whatever it was heard my dad coming (he was walking through sage brush with no flash light). My father started heading south paralleling the tree line until I lost sight of him. I was starting to get more spooked than I was when I heard the screams, I guess because when the screams were happening I could tell that they were fairly far away, now I did not know where or how far away “it” or “they” were. I walked quickly back to camp. My dad returned about 45 minutes later and reported that he did not see anything.

We all stood around the fire for about an hour talking about the screams and everyone came to the same conclusion that it was not elk, coyotes, or any other animal we all were very familiar with in the woods of New Mexico. The rest of the night was un-eventful. We all spent the next day hunting the area were we thought the screams came from, but no one saw anything out of the ordinary. My grandfather hunted the roads out of his truck (he could not hike around the mountains like the rest of us because of his age). There were no other hunters or camps in the area. We packed up and went home that afternoon.

About a month or so later, my dad and I were watching “In search of” with Leonard Nemoy. They played some recordings of what were believed to be big foot. It sent chills down my spine, I looked at my father, and it’s like he just saw a ghost, they were the same screams we heard on the hunt, the same recordings I heard on the BFRO website which has prompted me to write this.

We returned to that area again the next year and did hear the screams again, but they were much further away. Since then we only hunted the area 2 more years because the State of New Mexico shut the entire area down to hunters because of poaching, and the death of a rancher who tried stopping a poacher. The last time we were there, the forest service had gone in and thinned out a lot of the wooded areas (late 80’s, early 90’s), and the natural gas pumps were not running. The area is now open for hunting, but by lottery draw only. We now hunt in the Gila.

I cannot tell anyone that it was big foot because we did not see anything. But what we heard was not any animal that we are familiar with. I believe it is completely possible that big foot exists, and I think as our forests get smaller due to development, highways, homes, etc, we will eventually find one dead or alive. I think big foot is a timid, shy creature that is very good at concealing itself, and there is probably very small numbers of them. It took the producers of the show Planet Earth on Discovery channel 3 years to film 20 minutes worth of the only video images in existence of snow leopards in the wild. It stands to reason that it would be harder to video a creature who’s numbers are probably much smaller than the leopards. Also, I think that the big foot is much more intelligent than the leopard.

Again, I apologize for the length of this report; I wanted as many details as possible to come out. I am not looking for anything out of this, except that I would like a professional’s opinion of what we encountered, and would like to know of any other reported instances in the same area/time–frame. Also, I would be glad to show someone the area this happened at. My grandfather passed many years ago, but my father will tell you the same story I just told, my neighbor and his son probably would also, but we lost contact quite awhile ago.

ALSO NOTICED: lack of animals in area. Did not see much of any animals (maybe a few rabbits and squierls) Usually many deer and elk

OTHER WITNESSES: 5 of us (see above report)

OTHER STORIES: No,

But the famous cow mutilations were going on at the same time, near this area. I don't beleive they are related to my report, and to my beleive, the mutilations were explained and duplicated.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: 4pm to 11pm
clear night
cold
no wind
full or almost full moon (bright enough to see)

ENVIRONMENT: flatlands, cliffs, mountains,

forest, arroyos

see above report

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator D.K. Warner:

I interviewed this witness and believe that the statements provided are credible.

About BFRO Investigator D.K. Warner:

D.K. Warner is a software engineer and has a great deal of outdoor experience. He attended the 2005 New Mexico, the 2006 Arizona, and the 2007 New Mexico expeditions and has conducted independent field research.