Hello to our Guest
Welcome to the Mid-America Bigfoot Research Center Forums!
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: BFRO TAOS COUNTY
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:49 am 
MABRC Forum Administrator, MABRC Western Oklahoma State Director, Mid-South Regional Assistant Director
MABRC Forum Administrator, MABRC Western Oklahoma State Director, Mid-South Regional Assistant Director

Medals: 32
Quote:
Report # 26460 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Thursday, August 20, 2009. Eight foot plus figure photographed peering into couple's RV near Red River
YEAR: 2009

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: July

DATE: 9th

STATE: New Mexico

COUNTY: Taos County

LOCATION DETAILS: Withheld by request

NEAREST TOWN: Red River

NEAREST ROAD: State Highway 38

OBSERVED: We were getting up early to hitch up our travel trailer and start home to Oklahoma. My wife had gotten up first and then I got up and went into the bathroom. My wife opened the door and said that someone was standing outside the entry door to the bedroom of the trailer. I went back to the room and saw a large shadow in the window. The window is privacy glass so they couldn't see inside. I could see a chest, a head and about half of the arm. I reached into the night stand a took out my pistol thinking that it was someone. I then started toward the back of the trailer to the main entry door. While I was doing this my wife thought to take photos. She took 3 photos which does show the shadow of whatever it was very well. When I was at the other end of the trailer I opened the door and turned on the outside light at the same time. There was nothing there, I did hear what sounded like someone walking very quickly in the distance. I went around the trailer but couldn't see anyone. It was at this time that I realized that the window on the door is too high for someone to have been standing there. I took pictures to show how high it is. We waited until daylight to go back outside, I looked around the front and side of the trailer and noticed what appeared to be large tracks in the gravel. I took pictures of these. My friend who is a photographer took a copy of the pictures showing the shadow in the window and enlarged them while trying to keep the clarity and it is possible to make out some of the features. His exact words are " it kind of looks like Harry from Harry and the Hendersons". I don't know what it was but it was very strange and the photos are quite interesting.

ALSO NOTICED: only what appeared to be tracks which I photographed

OTHER WITNESSES: 2 My wife and myself

OTHER STORIES: none that I'm aware of

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Around 4:50 AM, clear night/morning

ENVIRONMENT: The Red River was about 20 feet from the trailer, it's really just a creek. Across the river It is heavily wooded, it is a fairly steep hill/mountain. This would be to the south.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Todd Perteet:

I’ve spoken with the submitter of this report, H, numerous times in an effort to cover as many details as possible regarding the incident. His wife, J, is referred to herein as well. The author’s narrative is somewhat restated below so as to include additional, important details within the event timeline.

J got up around 4:15 A.M. and went to the bathroom to get ready. After J had left the bathroom and returned to the bedroom, H took his turn in the bathroom. They estimate that he had been in there (bathroom) for two to three minutes. Through these several minutes she watched the figure at the window in a state of “shock” and disbelief. She then walked to the bathroom to tell H someone was looking into their bedroom. H came out of the bathroom and into the bedroom where he also witnessed the figure. Thinking it was a person, he quietly removed his pistol from the nightstand and proceeded to the other end (back) of the trailer in hopes that he could exit from that end while simultaneously turning on the outside light, thus catching the culprit in the act. While making his way to the other door, H attempted to be as quiet as possible as well as to not cause any movement of the trailer. During his progression through the trailer, H chambered a round into his semi-auto pistol while J took the photos. Total time from when he came out of the bathroom to when he got to the other door is estimated at one and a half to two minutes, putting the total time of the figure being observed peering in the window at between three and a half and five minutes. Upon reaching the back door, H flipped on the outside light (the light located near the bedroom door) as he opened the back door and stepped out. H fully expected to see their visitor at this point but there was no one in sight. He did, however, hear bipedal footsteps exiting down the gravel road to the east at a brisk pace. After checking around the trailer, H realized that it couldn‘t have been a person standing there due to the height of the window and decided to take some pictures for reference. He then went back inside to wait for daybreak. After sunrise H and J went back outside to look for any signs the intruder might have left. They found a couple of impressions in the gravel which resembled large human footprints, estimated at between fourteen and sixteen inches long. Though these were also photographed, they are not included here due to difficulty in making out the details.

Also noted:

- H and J were the only two people in their trailer.
- They had spent six nights at the same location and had not noticed anything unusual prior to this incident.
- When H opened the back door, he did not see anyone else outside but did hear dogs barking in the adjacent trailer.
- Their trailer was in the last (west) space on the row. The figure appeared on the west side of their bedroom so it wouldn’t have been between two trailers.
- Figure was somewhat backlit by a street light near a building approximately 200-250 feet to the west/northwest of their location.
- They had left the bedroom television on all night, as they normally do. For reference, I asked H to turn on the television and see if the flashing of the screen could be seen from outside, through the privacy glass. He confirmed that it could, but that you could not actually see into the trailer from the outside.
- The creature did not make any noises while at the window.
- The step below the bedroom door was retracted and no movement was felt in the trailer which would indicate the visitor was standing on the ground, not the step. There was also nothing else nearby to stand on.
- Measured height from the ground to the top of the window (where figure was photographed) is eight feet. Glass pane is sixteen inches wide by twenty-four inches high.
- Track observed, closest to the trailer, was approximately three feet away.
- J's reasons for photographing the figure were that she believed it was possibly somebody that meant them harm, also that it was so strange to see someone standing at the window.
- Photos were taken with a JVC GZ-MS100 camcorder in digital photo mode.
- H and J did not speak of the encounter with anyone else in the campground prior to departing.
- There were numerous other people in RV’s occupying the campground.

The following photograph is one of the three taken of the figure from inside the trailer and the version that gives the most detail. This shows the original picture in the first frame, then is gradually lightened to reveal additonal features:

Attachment:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 17.31 KiB | Viewed 3335 times ]

Attachment:

26460.swf [ 606.12 KiB | Viewed 3312 times ]

This photo was taken after the figure departed and the witness realized how large it actually was:

Attachment:
26460a.jpg
26460a.jpg [ 105.28 KiB | Viewed 3335 times ]

Another view of the bedroom door and window after sunrise. Measurement to top of window also shown:

Attachment:
26460b.jpg
26460b.jpg [ 100.45 KiB | Viewed 3335 times ]

I personally visited this location to get a better understanding of the general area and surroundings. There is an abundance of cover to the south, with a heavily treed mountain rising up directly behind the stream. It is definitely plausible, particularly in cover of darkness, that something could easily approach and exit the area undetected.

The location of this report is within the 1,507,000 acre Carson National Forest. Elevations range from approximately 7,000 feet to 13,161 feet at Wheeler Peak, New Mexico’s highest point. Thick spruce, fir, aspen, ponderosa pine and juniper forests as well as rugged terrain dominate the surrounding landscape. Wildlife and water sources are plentiful.

About BFRO Investigator Todd Perteet:

Todd Perteet lives in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado and is a lifelong outdoorsman. Expeditions attended include Colorado (2008, 2009, 2010), Oklahoma (2008, 2009), Utah (2009), and Wyoming (2009).

Post subject: Re: BFRO TAOS COUNTY
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:55 am 

Quote:
Report # 16207 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Tuesday, October 10, 2006. Possible vocalizations, knocks heard by hunters in the Gallegos peak area
YEAR: 2006

SEASON: Fall

MONTH: October

DATE: 2nd and 3rd

LOCATION DETAILS: about 5 miles up forest rd 442 at the Gallegos peak area.

NEAREST TOWN: Taos N.M.

NEAREST ROAD: state hwy 518 and forest rd 442

OBSERVED: From sept 30th-oct 4th,2006 I was hunting with a friend [name withheld by request] in northern New Mexico Mtns. at about 9,500ft.

On the evening of the 2nd I was heading back to camp when I heard a strang sound, like a scream/howl. Now I have hunted the mtns for many years for elk, bear, deer, mtn lions, and turkey, and never heard anything like this before.When I got back to camp my friend, who had started supper made the comment that something strange had happened to him. He said that he heard two sticks being hit together just before he started to camp. I did not tell him about the sounds I heard that night.

The next morning I left about an hour before sun-up and headed back toward the same area that I hunted last evening. After sitting for about an hour and a half I got up and moved down an old road to check an elk crossing when I heard the same scream/howl again. I tried to pinpoint the area but never heard it again.

When I met my friend at lunch he said he had heard the sticks being hit together again. I asked him to point to the area and he pointed to an area about 200 yards from the area I had heard the scream/howl.

I asked him if he heard any screams and he said no.

ALSO NOTICED: found no tracks, but did not look for any.The scream/howl sounds like the one recorded in Ohio, and the Jemez Mtns. of New Mexico.

OTHER WITNESSES: one other but he ask not to be named.

OTHER STORIES: no

TIME AND CONDITIONS: on the 2nd it was about 6:00 pm
on the 3rd it was between 6:30 and 7:30 am

ENVIRONMENT: very thick pine forest,meadows,valley,and mountain ridges.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator D.K. Warner:

I contacted the witness and spoke at length with him about his experiences in the mountains of Northern New Mexico. The following details can be added to his report:

It was approximately 1:30 PM when the witness and his hunting partner first arrived at their camp. They had camp set up by approximately 3:30 PM. After setting up camp the witness began to collect firewood and broke the longer pieces by breaking them against a larger tree. After the firewood was collected the witness and his hunting partner hiked up a logging road from their camp. They traveled approximately ½ mile and noticed that the forest seemed very still in this location. No wildlife sounds were heard. This struck them as odd. On their return at a distance of approximately 30 yards from camp the witness detected an odor. His impression was that it was not the smell of elk but rather much stronger and that it had characteristics of dead animal smell. The witness stated that his partner thought it was a bear and they dismissed it and continued into camp.

After dark the witness fried bacon for dinner and they went to sleep at approximately 7:00 PM. During the night movement was detected on several occasions (3 or 4 times) and the witness got up to check it out. His recollection was that at times when he went to investigate, the odor was present and at other times it was not. He later attributed this to the fact that the wind had been changing directions. Over the next two days they hunted this area and did not see any game which struck the witness as odd.

Because of the lack of game in their current location they decided to relocate further up the road. After resetting camp the witness went out to hunt which was in the afternoon. Unsuccessful, he returned to camp just before dark. Upon his trip back to camp the witness heard a vocalization. He estimated that the source was greater than 200 yards from his location. The vocalization started low in pitch than grew higher and lasted on the order of 10 seconds. The sound seemed to be like an animal in pain but not like any animal the witness had ever heard.

Upon arriving back at camp the witness did not mention the vocalizations to his hunting partner. The partner mentioned that the elk in this area were getting pretty smart. When the witness asked why, the response was that they had been signaling each other with what sounded like two sticks being hit together as in a “pop, pop-pop” fashion which went on for about 30 seconds. The hunting partner stated that this happened at about 30 minutes before dark. This was about the same time that the witness had heard the vocalizations. When the witness asked where these sounds came from his partner pointed in the direction from which he had heard the vocalization. The witness dismissed his partner’s theory about “smart elk” due to the fact that he had not spent much time out in the woods or hunting. When asked about the possibility of other humans in the area the witness stated that where they were camped would require anyone else coming into the area to drive right past them. They had not heard any sounds indicating a human presence.

The next morning, about an hour before sunrise, the witness returned to the same vicinity that he had been to the night before when he heard the vocalizations. After not seeing any elk for some time he decided to head down a logging road. The witness stated that on this logging road he noted trees seemed to have fallen up hill across it which struck him as odd. I asked the witness if any of these fallen trees were crossed with others coming from the other side of the road to which he replied yes. He stated that it seemed that these trees had been crossed purposely as if to block the road. While traveling on this logging road the witness heard the vocalization again twice. This time they seemed to be within 200 yards of him. He left and returned to camp at which point his partner told him that he had heard the knocks again coming from the same area.

In speaking with this witness I felt that he was credible and that what he related to me was accurate. He is an avid outdoorsman who hunts with a traditional longbow, flint-lock muzzleloader, and fishes and camps regularly.

About BFRO Investigator D.K. Warner:

D.K. Warner is a software engineer and has a great deal of outdoor experience. He attended the 2005 New Mexico, the 2006 Arizona, and the 2007 New Mexico expeditions and has conducted independent field research.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:56 am 

Quote:
Report # 4904 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Friday, September 06, 2002. Professor and students discover series of large footprints crossing high mountain trail
YEAR: 2000

SEASON: Spring

MONTH: May

DATE: 17

LOCATION DETAILS: We were on the trail to Middle Fork Lake. Approximately 36.5990º N, 105.4113º W.

NEAREST TOWN: Red River

NEAREST ROAD: Highway 38

OBSERVED: My summer ecology class was hiking to Middle Fork Lake. As with most classes, some students walked faster than others. I was with the stragglers, a few of whom were suffering from the cold and thin air. The trail had only been opened, as I recall, the previous day, and ours was the first group of the season to make the ascent. Lots of snow remained in shaded areas and in many places on the trail, and it was obvious no one had walked ahead of us, although a couple of older men on four wheelers passed us at one point. We were getting fairly close, within a half mile or so, to the lake; the slope was very steep. I remember our little group went past a switchback and we were uphill from a stream.

Somewhere in this stretch, crossing the trail at a right angle, was a series of very large, apparently bipedal, tracks. In shape and contour, the tracks appeared human. No details, such as toe impressions, remained or could be readily detected, but every indication was that the tracks had been made by bare feet, not boots. The students immediately starting exclaiming, “Bigfoot, bigfoot!” Doing my best to downplay the tracks, I told the students that they were probably those of a hiker and that they had become enlarged as a result of melting and refreezing.

Privately, I didn’t believe that story for a second. As far as I was concerned, the impressions were the record of something extremely unusual. The tracks were huge, at least sixteen inches or more in length and quite wide. The depth of the tracks in the snow and soil was far beyond what I could duplicate; it was obvious, even to the students, that whatever or whoever made the tracks had immense weight (I told them the “hiker” was probably carrying a very heavy pack). The distance between the tracks was on the order of four feet or more, an interval that was all the more impressive considering the extreme steepness of the mountain in that area. It did not seem possible to me for any human to duplicate such a feat (so to speak) as was performed by the mysterious maker of those tracks, especially considering the conditions of snow and slope.

In addition, the tracks were not headed to Middle Fork Lake. Of course, that doesn’t prove anything, but I found it strange that anyone would hike up the mountain, avoiding the trail, and heading to something besides the lake. As best as I could determine, the tracks appeared to be going in the direction of Bull-of-the-Woods Mountain.

OTHER WITNESSES: Two or three students.

OTHER STORIES: When we reached the lake, the men who had passed us earlier in the day were fishing. They were catching brook trout with almost every cast. I struck up a conversation with them and learned they were hunting guides. After a while, I casually (I thought) asked if they had ever heard of anything unusual in the area. Literally before the question was completed, they started talking to each other in Spanish and then said, “Bigfoot?” They told me that an acquaintance of theirs, a fellow guide who they described as very experienced, had a sighting. However, they both said they would have to see one first themselves before they could really believe his story.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Late morning.

ENVIRONMENT: Mountainous, mixed conifers. Elevation about 10450 feet. The day was extremely cold and windy.

Follow-up investigation report:

The witness has in depth experience as both a wildlife biologist and a college professor. His thorough and objective analysis stands as an excellent example of how such evidence should be considered.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:58 am 

Quote:
Media Article # 568
Article submitted by BFRO Investigator Caroline Curtis
Article prepared and posted by Mike Aragona

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Bigfoot in Red River

By Mike Smith
My Strange New Mexico

The town of Red River lies high in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of northeastern New Mexico’s Taos County—8,650 feet above sea level—and yet it is still thousands of feet below the pine- and fir-covered peaks that surround it.

Barely 100 miles northeast of Santa Fe, and just about 40 miles northeast of Taos, Red River has managed to remain a world all its own, a mountain world of sharp morning air and wind in trees. Laid out along both sides of a mile of the serpentine State Road 38, and home to about 500 permanent residents, this town at the junction of Bitter Creek and the Red River lures visitors from all over the American West—and might lure others, of a different, and larger, and much harrier, sort as well.

Middle-aged German men?

No.

Well: maybe. Probably.

But we were talking about Bigfoot.

Red River was officially founded in 1895 as Red River City, and by 1900 discoveries of gold, silver, and copper had attracted more than 3,000 residents, who homesteaded the area in tents and cabins, and who established stores, newspapers, hotels, and ten notoriously rowdy saloons. Famed outlaw Black Jack Ketchum allegedly patronized Red River’s dances, and Mexican revolutionary Pancho Villa purportedly gave his spurs to a local man whose wife used them to tie back her drapes. From the 1920s on, mining gave way to tourism, and Red River soon became regionally famous as a four-season mountain playground, known for its skiing, and its trails.

In Red River, there are nightclubs, bars, and restaurants, Jeep tours to mining ruins, aspen groves, hiking and horse trails, and high country lakes that were first stocked in the 1920s by mules fitted with metal containers full of water and fish. . In colder months, skiers and snowboarders fly down the trails of the Red River Ski Area, and every Thanksgiving they are invited to sled down on frozen turkeys. In the summer, guests at the various chateau-style hotels can step out their doors, walk a minute to a chairlift, and ride up the slopes for startling views of the state’s tallest mountains.

But is the story of Red River actually much weirder? As its history shaped it into the town it is today, was a race of legendarily elusive ape-men watching it all from the surrounding woods? Were the hairy bipeds we now call Bigfoot striding just a bend ahead of the miners who searched for gold in the area’s streams? And do the red eyes of the Sasquatch watch skiers from behind snow-covered bushes?

Some people would have us think so.

Since 1976, according to the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization (BFRO), at least 32 Bigfoot sightings have been reported in the state of New Mexico. In May of 2000, according to that organization’s website (BFRO.net), an anonymous wildlife biologist and professor was hiking with a group of “two or three” unnamed students from an unspecified college, up a dirt trail to Middle Fork Lake, not far south of Red River, when he discovered a number of unusually large footprints crossing the trail.

“In shape and contour, the tracks appeared human,” he allegedly wrote on BFRO.net. “No details, such as toe impressions, remained or could be readily detected, but every indication was that tracks had been made by bare feet not boots. ...The tracks were huge, at least sixteen inches or more in length and quite wide. The depth of the tracks in the snow and soil was far beyond what I could duplicate; it was obvious, even to the students, that whatever or whoever made the tracks had immense weight.... As best as I could determine, the tracks appeared to be going in the direction of Bull-of-the-Woods Mountain [approximately eight miles south of Red River].”

The report is interesting, but its credibility suffers from its total failure to name witnesses, by the failure of the professor and his students to make a cast of or even photograph what could have been one of the biggest scientific discoveries ever, and by its casual dismissal of any alternate explanations. This particular case seems best explained by the tracks having been made by a hiker with a heavy pack, after which his or her footprints thawed and froze, thawed and froze, growing larger as a result.

Since 2000, there have been at least two other dubious reports of Bigfoot within Taos County, none of them very far from Red River itself.

One allegedly took place on September 27, 2006, reported by a 67-year-old Costilla, New Mexico man, Arturo “Homie” Mart’nez, who told of finding an unusual piece of aspen wood that he noticed bore a natural resemblance to a vaguely human face.

That, he said, occurred near the New Mexico-Colorado border, in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, and not long afterward, on a subsequent trip, he and a “super friend” of his, drove further into the mountains, and discovered an aspen grove with the tops of a number of its trees unusually snapped off and then strewn all over the forest road as if to keep away intruders. Mart’nez and his friend drove around a curve, and a tire of their vehicle mysteriously exploded. Elk were bugling in the distance, and then the bugling seemed to become a roar, and then... Then, lumbering just inside the edge of the aspen grove, they saw something terrifying: a strange beast—a bear-like creature, about the size of a bear, with dark, bear-like fur, walking hunched over on only two feet, just as bears will often do for short distances, and they knew it could only be one thing: Bigfoot.

“I am convinced I saw what many call Sasquatch,” Mart’nez later said, and he and his friend were so petrified by what they saw that they ran down the mountain, picked up a spare tire, came back in the dark to put it on their vehicle, and then decided to stay and camp there until morning. The experience made such an impression on them, that one of the first things Mart’nez did the following year was to tell a single reporter from The Taos News all about it. (That story appeared in the paper on January 18, 2007, about four months after the incident. )

“I decided to tell my story because America, wake up, these creatures exist,” Mart’nez told the Taos News, but his story would carry a lot more weight if it wasn’t so riddled with unconnected superstition such as the aspen face and the seemingly-supernaturally-flattened tire; if Mart’nez hadn’t neglected to bring a camera or tape recorder with him when he came back; if Mart’nez and his friend hadn’t counter-intuitively returned in the dark to scene of their alleged terror; and if Mart’nez and his friend weren’t already reputed to, at least according to area man Lee Vigil in Cryptomundo.com’s comments section, “have many stories of aliens, brujas and diablos who roam the high country in the Costilla area.”

(It seems Mart’nez may be to northern New Mexico what Ramon Ortiz is to the Boot Heel—which means "My Strange New Mexico" won’t be contacting him in person, for fear we’ll have to threaten to get a restraining order against him eleven months from now....)

And a third incident, on October 2 and 3, 2006, reportedly involved a pair of anonymous hunters, camped out near Gallegos Peak, just under forty miles south of Red River, who heard “a strange sound like scream/howl,” the apparent sounds of knocking or of two sticks being hit together, high-pitched “vocalizations” like those of an unknown wounded animal, and smelled a smell like that of something dead. One of the hunters also allegedly told BFRO investigator D.K. Warner that he noticed fallen trees near the site, trees that seemed to have been crossed purposefully as if to block their exit. There's no denying that the account contains some frightening details,but to suggest them as evidence for Bigfoot seems to be a bit of a stretch, when at the story's essence, it’s little more than an account of people hearing some unidentified sounds in the forest.

This report, like the anonymous professor’s, and like hundreds of others’ filed from all across the United States, fails to offer any actual evidence or credible sources to attribute the stories to, and suggests it’s highly likely that these tales are as tall as the creatures they describe. Taller, really. In Mart’nez’s case, we have a story in which every detail hints at a more likely explanation—from a treetop-shearing ice storm, to a bear—and in the two other cases bookending it, we have no actual individuals to attribute the stories to, and so perhaps nothing that even needs explaining.

Bigfoot may still be out there, sure, but no evidence seems to suggest that he is.

Let’s not rewrite Red River’s—or Taos County’s—entire history just yet.