Hello to our Guest
Welcome to the Mid-America Bigfoot Research Center Forums!
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

This forum will sometimes contain copyrighted information, however, it is placed here under Title 17

Not withstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

Post subject: (BFRO) Shoshone County
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:46 pm 
MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 7864 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Sunday, January 25, 2004. Couple hears strange night time howls across stream from their home

YEAR: 2004

SEASON: Winter

MONTH: January

DATE: Jan 24th

STATE: Idaho

COUNTY: Shoshone County

NEAREST TOWN: Wallace

OBSERVED: It was around 6:30 to 7:30 at night on January 24th, 2004 when I took my dog outside. I heard an unusual howling sound. I stood their for a moment trying to think of what it could be. I also noticed the neighbors dogs across the street were barking loudly ,But that wasn't unusual to me, as they seem to always bark at everything.. What did make it unusual was that I not only heard the neighbors dogs from across the street but also the dogs up the gulch barking.

After about 45 seconds or so of continuos sound, I summoned my wife and asked her to come and listen. She came to the porch and listened. I told her in all my life of living around here I've never heard anything like that before. She just stood there with a somewhat terrified look about her and said she's never heard anything like that either. We went inside and I prepared myself for bed. My wife called me back to the porch and asked me to listen to the howling. So again I listened and this time we both agreed that it was very loud and sounded as though there were two of these things making this howling sound. One seemed to be at the foot of the hill acrossed the gulch and the other was quite aways up the hill from it. I told her that I have no clue what it could be. So I came in and went to bed. My wife stayed up and did some research about sounds on the internet.

She later awakened me to let me listen to many wild animal sounds from the internet. When I first heard a moose call, it sounded as though that was the culprit. Then I got to thinking and remembered that the howlings we heard earlier were much longer than moose sounds. She then told me that she had found the sounds we were looking for on a website in which a guy had recorded unusual sounds in Ohio ( Ohio Howling Recording ). But as many people who experience these things probably do, I really beagn to think that my wife wasn't crazy but actually may have hit it on the head with those sounds she had found. After hearing it again and again, there was no doubt that that's what we had heard and I told my wife that we should report something or ask the neighbors if they heard anything .

I'll try and go look for some kind of tracks or indications of a strange animal in the morning. Snow is falling, so who knows what I'll find. I do know that from now on I'm going to listen when the neighbors dogs bark. Hopefully this isn't a one night ordeal.

OTHER WITNESSES: My wife.

OTHER STORIES: The wife said she saw a large dark colored bipedal animal on an embankment about 150 yards above I-90 near the 4th of July Pass a couple of years ago. Since she was on the freeway traveling fast she did not go back to re-view the animal nor was it possible to get much detail at that speed.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: It was about the middle of the evening around 6:30 to 7:30. The lighting at a minimum. Almost complete darkness.

ENVIRONMENT: The area is made up of pine trees which in some parts have been thinned out do to logging

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Roland Wolfe:

After speaking with this seamingly sincere husband and wife, I was impressed with their intense desire to solve the mystery of the very unusual howling sounds that they had heard on a wintry evening at their home in an alpine setting in Idaho.

They had searched the internet and had listened to many wild animal sounds from a number of sites. They indicated that the long howling moaning sounds that they heard most nearly matched a sound recording from the BFRO site taken of an alleged Bigfoot howl from Ohio.

They were both impressed as to the volume and duration of these sounds that eminated from a source as near as 100 yards distance from their home.

The couple queried neighbors and investigated the terrain whence the sounds had been heard but turned up no signs or tracks of any animal prescence. The nearest official weather reporting station indicated that a little over three inches of new snow had fallen that day.

Post subject: Re: (BFRO) Shoshone County
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:47 pm 
MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 23521 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Saturday, April 05, 2008. Parked trucker has frightening early morning encounter off I-90 near Wallace

YEAR: 1996

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: May

DATE: or,june

LOCATION DETAILS: going east bound

NEAREST TOWN: wallace, idaho

NEAREST ROAD: off I-90on the last forest service road before wallace,ID

OBSERVED: i was truck driving for swift transportation in 1996 it was early summer i was on I-90 just before wallace idaho it was about 3:00 am and i thought id get a few hrs of sleep so i pulled of of the freeway on the forest service off ramp left my sleeper windows open laid there about 15-20 min. the truck was shut off then i heard and felt big hands grab the cab and sleeper bars and shook the truck about 2 times then 3 times just short gentle shakes then a semi truck started rocking side to side like it was a rag doll i jumped up and quickly looked out of the passengers side window just in time to see a dark reddish brown creature take 2 strides into the young douglas fir trees and it was gone, the only thing was i was parked about 20 to 30 feet from the tree line i was so shook up i drove to billings mt. before i would sleep once more , if there are any more questions i would be glad to talk to someone over the phone.

ALSO NOTICED: bad odor and i could hear it when it left and took afew steps then all was quiet ,and i left in a big hurry

OTHER WITNESSES: just my self

OTHER STORIES: none

TIME AND CONDITIONS: warm summer day no rain no wind and not an earth tremmor

ENVIRONMENT: north west forrest mountains

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Nancy L. Jones:

I spoke with the witness over the phone and learned some additional details. He is a native of the Pacific Northwest and has worked as both a logger and a trucker. He has spent a great deal of time in the outdoors and is familiar with the native animals (their physical characteristics, calls and typical behavior).

The witness was driving a tall Freightliner FLD 120, with a sleeper compartment that contains two queen size beds and is tall enough for a man to stand upright. As he was traveling alone, he had the upper queen bed folded up and was resting on the lower bunk.

The night was very quiet and he did not hear any noises as his truck was approached. He was entering a light sleep when he felt something push gently against the side of the cab near the sleeper. Twice the truck was shaken softly. Then the third time a great deal of force was applied, causing the sleeper to rock violently from side to side almost as if something was trying to see if the truck could be tipped over. At this point, the witness uttered something like "what the heck is going on!" and jumped up to look out the passenger cab window. He must have startled the shaker, because he saw the back of a large upright animal retreating into the thick stand of young trees (25-30 feet tall) about fifteen feet away from the truck. The truck lights were off and the only light source was the moon. This allowed the witness to see the shape and size, but not many other details. The animal was heavy-set, much taller than a normal man and covered all over with dark brown hair that seemed to have a reddish tinge. It only took two steps to reach the tree line and moved very quickly and easily for such a large individual.

Without even getting dressed, the witness jumped into the driver's seat and let off the air brakes to hopefully scare the animal. As he started the truck and began to pull away, he heard crashing sounds as if the animal was moving off into the forest. He then drove to the first rest stop in Montana before he felt safe to stop again. He examined his truck in the morning and found no marks of any kind. It had recently been washed, so there was no dust or dirt to be disturbed.

The witness recounted how unnerving the experience was and how all the hair on his back and shoulders stood on end. His truck was too large and heavy for a man to rock it back and forth so violently. The animal also had to have hands to grab the truck (probably the door handles) and not leave any scratches or marks (like a bear would leave).

This encounter is within fifty miles of another nighttime encounter by a trucker on this same road, Interstate 90, BFRO Report #10012.

About BFRO Investigator Nancy L. Jones:

Nancy L. Jones is an M.B.A., presently doing occasional special projects for her husband's business and being a full-time mom. Formerly she worked as an IT Project Manager for Hewlett-Packard. She attended the 2007 Central Oregon Expedition.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:48 pm 
MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 24224 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Tuesday, July 22, 2008. Man tells of his possible daylight encounter as a young motorcycle explorer in the Coeur d'Alene National Forest

YEAR: 1981

MONTH: August

DATE: 1

LOCATION DETAILS: I'm not 100% sure, but this looks like the location.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UT ... 9&t=h&z=15

NEAREST TOWN: Pinehurst / Kingston

NEAREST ROAD: Old river road

OBSERVED: After the eighth grade, my family moved to Kellogg Idaho and I purchased a motorcycle with money I had earned from a dish washing job. I spent most of my summer days riding the many forest service roads, logging roads, and trails around Kellogg and the North Fork of the Coeur d'Alene river.

By the end of my junior year of high school, these outings had turned into more organized explorations of ghost towns, abandoned mines, secluded lakes, and mountain peaks. I used information from friends and forest service maps to identify potentially interesting locations and took increasingly long and difficult rides to reach them.

In August 1981, I was looking at the forest service maps for the North Fork area and noticed a road leading up to a star and then continuing on to another star about half a mile away where the road ended. Stars denoted mountain peaks and I was intrigued by the idea that I could ride up to a mountain summit. It was a longer trip than I usually made, but I figured it could be done in a day. About 10AM the next day, I fired up my Yamaha 250 and headed out

I rode along the river and then headed northwest into the back country. Eventually, I reached the foothills on this warm and dry Idaho summer day. The road was a well maintained dirt road with compressed gravel on top. Since the road was in such good condition, I was riding at unsafe-teenager speed until I rounded a corner and almost hit a moose. Even in Idaho, moose are rare and this is the first time I had seen one. It stood in the middle of the road staring at me and wouldn't move. I had heard the moose sometime attack people, so I backed up and gave it some room. It just stood and stared at me, so after a minute or two I tried to go around it. As I got close to it, it trotted off to the side of the road and continued staring at me as I went by.

From there, I began the long ride upward through the valleys and switchbacks and along ridges ever upward. The nice gravel road gave way to a back-country dirt road, which eventually turned into more of a trail. As I rode along the trail, the forest canopy closed overhead and I was riding on something of a game trail through the cool, dark forest. Even the game trail started fading out as I went up a short steep hill and entered an almost level area near the treeline. To my right, there was an opening on the trees that revealed an amazing view. I stopped, turned off my cycle, and walked over to enjoy the view.

I stood for a minute or so looking through the gap in the trees caused by a steep drop-off. In the clear late-summer sun, I could see the forest and mountains for miles and miles. As my ears begin to adjust from the roar of the motorcycle to the quiet of the forest, I began to notice the silence. It wasn't just quiet, it was silent -- no scurrying animals, no birds, no insects, no nothing. I turned and took a closer look at my surroundings.

It was the high forest and the trees were between 8 and maybe 40 feet high, with little underbrush. The ground was bare clay covered by a thin layer of pine needles. The perspective effects of looking through tree trunks made it difficult to say exactly, but visibility was maybe 100 feet. It was dark and cool and there was no movement or noise.

I decided to continue on, but when I took a step towards my bike I noticed something unusual in the ground. It was an enormous animal track and my first thought was that it was a bigfoot print. It was old and appeared to have been made during the wet months in the spring. I removed a thin layer of pine needles to get a better look. The print was very clear and was not distorted or munged. It was about 14 inches long, 8 inches wide, and 2 to 3 inches deep at the heel. The heel was narrow, the ball wide, and the toes were more indented than long and straight. It was facing away from the vista that I had been looking at.

I had seen on "In Search Of" that bigfoot tracks were about 18 inches long and looked exactly like big human prints, which wasn't to be the case with this track. However there were no claw marks above the toes, which seemed to eliminate a mutant grizzly. Even though the soil in the area was of the same consistency, I couldn't find any additional prints.

As I was mentally visualizing the small bigfoot or mutant grizzly that had made the print, the silence once again intruded on my consciousness. I looked around, but couldn't see anything and whatever had made the print was long gone. So, I decided to finish my ride to the peak. After another hundred yards or two, I emerged from the treeline and into the bright, late afternoon sun. The peak was more of a tall hill covered with tall grass and I continued up to the top.

I got off my bike and slowly turned to enjoy the 360 degree view of the forest and mountains that stretched in all directions for as far as I could see. As I turned and admired view, I started to get that "you're being watched" vibe and my eyes were suddenly drawn down to the dark treeline. I immediately saw a shadow in the trees shaped like the head and shoulders of someone looking out from behind a tree, with some brush obscuring it below the chest. After the initial shock of recognition, I started reasoning that the shadow was a stump, or maybe a suggestive shadow formed by some tree trunks and the crossing of branches in the shadows. I had spent a lot of time in the forest and I had seen this sort of suggestive shadow before. After staring at the unmoving shape for a minute or so, I decided that I was "psyching myself out" and I forced myself to return to the view of the forest.

But now as I looked at miles of uninterrupted forest, what I saw was the complete lack of buildings, roads, or any sign other of humanity for as far as I could see. After about thirty seconds of forcing myself to look at the view, I decided to check on the stump again -- just to reassure myself that it was still there. However as I scanned the treeline below, I couldn't find what I had seen so quickly seen before. I looked up and down the treeline until I was sure that I had identified the bush and tree that had partially obscured the shadow, but now there was nothing behind them. For some reason, my eyes immediately traced the distance from the former location of the shadow to where I had rode out of the treeline. In retrospect I don't know why I was afraid of being trapped, since animals in the forest don't behave this way.

I quickly considered my options -- continue on to the next peek, which had no exit on map, wait and think it through, or immediately blast down the mountain. I fired up my bike and headed down the ridge line at high speed. As I reached the treeline, I could only see a few feet into the dark forest. Even so, I didn't slow down and entered the treeline at what looked like the most likely location of the former road. I went through the treeline without incident, but I didn't really look around to see if anything was there. This was partly because I needed my concentration on the road in front of me to keep from hitting a tree, but also in part because I didn't really *want* to see anything. I reached the bottom of the mountain in only about 45 minutes.

After that day, I didn't have much enthusiasm for riding in the mountains. Somehow, even the trails close to town didn't really feel safe anymore. When I left home a year later, I didn't even take my formerly beloved motorcycle with me.

OTHER WITNESSES: I was way, way alone.

OTHER STORIES: No. Although some of my friends were hunters and outdoors men, I don't recall ever hearing any first hand accounts of bigfoot.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Late afternoon, clear skys with high cirrus clouds.

ENVIRONMENT: High up, at the treeline.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Nancy L. Jones:

I spoke with the witness at length regarding his experience in the Coeur d'Alene National Forest. His written report was very thorough and his verbal retelling added only a couple of additional details.

First, I asked him to explain specifically how the old footprint he found differed from 'typical' sasquatch print descriptions. He said the heel of the print was very narrow (more narrow than a bare human foot) in relation to the width, making the print almost triangular. This puzzled him and it does me also. Although no claw prints were visible, this sounds like a possible bear footprint where a hind foot oversteps (and overlays) the front footprint on the same side of the animal. When this occurs, one long, wide print appears that usually has a narrow heal. Without further examination, we will never know for sure.

Also, he remembered that the print he found looked like a left footprint (toe marks longer on the right). He was surprised that no companion print(s) could be seen.

Then, I asked about any sounds he could remember hearing at the peak when the 'stump' disappeared. He recalled that it was completely silent, save for the occasional sounds of wind gusts moving through the treetops below him. In recalling this, he remembered how strange it seemed to him that whatever appeared as a dark shadow or 'stump' was able to move silently out of view while he glanced the other way.

In summary, I think the most likely explanation for the shadowy shape he saw watching him from the tree line is that it was a curious sasquatch. The other possible identities seem less likely. It did not have the shape that a large bear would (with sloped shoulders), and disappeared without the typical crashing or crunching sounds a bear often makes. A human seems equally unlikely given the remote location and the large size of the stump. Additionally, the uneasy feeling of being watched together with a silent, large dark figure blending into the forest are oft-reported characteristics of a sasquatch encounter.

About BFRO Investigator Nancy L. Jones:

Nancy L. Jones is an M.B.A., presently doing occasional special projects for her husband's business and being a full-time mom. Formerly she worked as an IT Project Manager for Hewlett-Packard. She attended the 2007 Central Oregon Expedition.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:53 am 
Chief Forum Administrator/MABRC Executive Director
Chief Forum Administrator/MABRC Executive Director

Medals: 39
Quote:
Report # 59472 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Saturday, May 19, 2018.
Husband and wife see large upright figure leap from road around midnight on Freezeout Saddle near Clarkia
(Show Printer-friendly Version)
YEAR: 2006

MONTH: August

LOCATION DETAILS: Freezeout saddle, Grandmother mountain area

NEAREST TOWN: Clarkia Idaho

NEAREST ROAD: Freezeout road near Idaho highway 3

OBSERVED: In August of 2006 my (ex)wife and I were camping in the mountains of North Idaho. We drove my 4x4 pickup to the ridgeline that divides the St Joe river and North Fork Clearwater river. This is accessible by USFS and BLM roads, the latter of which is generally only open June to September due to the high elevation and snow. The weather at this time was favorable and we chose to sleep in the back of the truck rather than using the tent. We both felt very uneasy after laying in bed for at least an hour. This uneasiness is difficult to describe but we both felt very strange and decided to start the truck and go back down the mountain. The night was clear under a full moon. We were easily able to see the trail without headlights and drove slowly downhill. After only 5 or 10 minutes of travel we rounded a bend in the trail and saw something large ahead of us. I flipped on the headlights and a very large creature seemed to jump off the trail and into the woods moving downhill and to our left. We caught only the briefest glimpse but the creature was easily 8 to 10 feet tall and covered in brown fur. As the creature jumped from the trail it seemed to catch a fir tree which obscured it from our direct line of sight. The tree was about 12 to 14 feet tall and bent tip to ground before springing back up. This all occurred in a matter of seconds. We both said "what the f**k was that?!" I hit the ebrake and got out of the cab with my maglight and my 30/30 rifle. Shining the light through the trees illuminated at least 50 yards clearly as the alpine forest is not very dense except for the huckleberry bushes knee to waist high. I saw nothing and heard nothing. I couldn't figure how any animal so large could get out of sight so quickly with no sound. No twigs snapping beyond the flashlight or anything. That's when all the hair on my arms and neck stood straight on end. I realized that the creature was laying down in the huckleberry bushes right in front of me. I can't explain as it wasn't visible but I simply knew it was right there. I had the distinct impression that this thing was waiting for me to make the next move. My wife was still in the truck begging me to get back in and leave. She was terrified. Somehow my rifle seemed suddenly impotent. My fear overpowered my curiosity and I got back in the truck and we got away from that area. I have been around moose and bears many times in the woods over the years and never felt frightened but this night I was frightened for sure. The hair on my arms and neck stands on end now writing this nearly 12 years later. I do not believe that creature was a moose or a bear. I can't help thinking that if we hadn't left our camping spot due to our intense feelings of uneasiness and had instead fallen asleep there that the creature we saw would have come upon us within a short time.

ALSO NOTICED: Extremely uneasy feeling about our campsite without rational explanation

OTHER WITNESSES: 2 of us, camping

OTHER STORIES: I've read and heard of numerous accounts of bigfoot in the area of northeast Washington, North Idaho and western Montana. I thought it may be time to share my story.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Near midnight. Clear sky. Full moon.

ENVIRONMENT: Alpine forest

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Kevin Llewellyn:

I talked to the witness by phone.

He cannot remember the exact date, but it was early August 2006. He and his wife were sleeping in the back of their truck that did not have a canopy. He heard a scratching on the rear bumper and he looked but did not see anything. Five to ten seconds later, it started again. He then got out once more with a flashlight and looked up under the truck for rodents and did not see anything. They felt "weird" as if they should not be there. They could not sleep and left.

Less than a mile down the road they saw a silhouette in the road. He turned on the headlights and for a second there was an upright figure on two legs. It was large and thick, brown, shaggy, hair length maybe four to six inches. He estimated the weight at 800 pounds. It happened so fast, he could not see a nose, neck or other details. It leaped in a smooth fluid motion ten to twelve feet. The witness did not see an arm grab the fir tree but believes that is what happened as it went down the moderately steep hill.

The figure was about 100 feet in front of them. The witness was out of the truck in ten seconds and began looking with his flashlight. The combination of not hearing anything walking away, nor seeing anything, gave him a creepy feeling. He felt it was laying down just steps away. He watched the bushes about one minute and did not see them move. He did not see any eyes. He did not detect any odor.

The witness has been in Alaska for the last several years and has been a fly fishing guide there. I found him very observant.

About BFRO Investigator Kevin Llewellyn:

Kevin has camped, fished and hunted in Eastern Washington all his life. His interest in Sasquatch began when he was 10 years old and saw Roger Patterson present "the" film. He lives and works in Eastern Washington. He has been a veterinarian since 1984, after graduating from Washington State University. He attended Washington BFRO expeditions in 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2017, Oregon in 2015 and 2018, Montana 2017.

Profile Personal album