Hello to our Guest
Welcome to the Mid-America Bigfoot Research Center Forums!
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

This forum will sometimes contain copyrighted information, however, it is placed here under Title 17

Not withstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

Post subject: Re: (BFRO) Fresno County
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:31 pm 
MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 2960 (Class C)
Submitted by witness D. M. on Wednesday, August 25, 1999. Howling followed by speech-like vocalization heard

YEAR: 1995

SEASON: Winter

MONTH: February

DATE: Second or third Saturday of the month

STATE: California

COUNTY: Fresno County

LOCATION DETAILS: Huntington Lake, California

OBSERVED: In the distance a loud "howl" like sound was heard. At first we thought maybe a bear had been hit by a car. Each "howl" lasted approx. 15 seconds. After the 3rd or 4th time another sound began echoing around the walls of the valley we were in. The closest thing I can think of is someone speaking backward English through a megaphone. This lasted for around 5 minutes. The entire time none of us could make out a single word. Yet it sounded English. We basically figured that it was a crew of people looking for the animal making the first howl. Even though it was obvious that the original sound came from miles away. The first "howl" sounded very similar to a recording I heard on a page linked to BFRO's homepage.

ALSO NOTICED: As soon as the second sound began a couple of dog's across the lake started barking.

OTHER WITNESSES: 5 of us sitting on lawn chairs around camp. No fire.

I don't know if this does you any good. Basically last weekend for the first time since this occured, the five of us were together at a wedding. 3 of us remember hearing both noises, the other 2 only remember the "megaphone" sound.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Around 11:00 p.m. It was close to a full-moon.

ENVIRONMENT: The lake was frozen. Maybe 3 feet of snow on the ground. One side of the lake has cabins, we were on the other side maybe 100 yards up from the shore. The lake is at 7,000 ft.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:32 pm 
MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 11897 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Tuesday, June 14, 2005. Three young adults encounter large aggressive biped while fishing the San Joaquin River

YEAR: 1991

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: June

DATE: not known

LOCATION DETAILS: On the San Joaquin River

NEAREST TOWN: Mendota

NEAREST ROAD: Ashlan

OBSERVED: My story occured around 1991 on the San Joaquin River in what would be the northwestern part of town. Actually in Fresno. The area is mostly farm land and some sparse woods and vineyards. nothing like foresty though. My self, my cousin and a friend had decided to go late night fishing at a little area on the river where the river sort of pools. Their is a bridge there. It was late and we were sitting there and fishing when we heard something making noise and looked back and saw a coyote running across the bridge heading north. The coyote kept looking back as it ran as if it was frightened.The coyote looked at us but it was clearly focused on something behind it and it was scared. We thought at that time that that was odd. We then heard what we thought was a splash as if someone had dove into the water behind us. It was dark so we just glanced back but of course saw nothing. We probably sat for about 10 minutes or so when suddenly there was a huge goosh and splash about 25 yards away in front of us. We stopped fishing and then tried looking into the darkness.This small boulder throwing continued at least 2 more times before we actually saw a dark figure about 40 yards away standing what looked about waist high in the river. Their was a full moon so it wasn't to dark to see that it was a pretty big creature. By this time we were starting to get scared and were pretty much froze in place and had began to yell at it, thinking that it could be a person. This prompted my friend to yell threats of violence as young people are sometime prone to do, this creature basically turned it's whole body to the right of it and grapped another boulder and with both hands over its head it threw it at us, this one landed about 15 yards away. It made no sound or noise only threw small boulders. It threw about 2 more boulders the last landing about 5 yards from us enough to splash water on our faces. By this time we had reeled in our lines and were trying to get out of there as fast as we could. We ran all the way back to the car which was through some trees across a field and up a hill. We went back the next day to the area and on rafts floated to the area where the creature had stood. My friend is about 6 foot tall and jumped in the water to see about how deep it was. The water came to his shoulders. Their was no way this was a man. We even saw some of the boulders that had been thrown at the bottom of the water as it wasn't more then 5 1/2 feet deep. Their was a sand bar and the boulders were at least 30 to 40 lbs.

OTHER WITNESSES: 3 total

OTHER STORIES: no

TIME AND CONDITIONS: about 1am in the morning. full moon.

ENVIRONMENT: mostly farm land, no houses for about 7 miles or so. scattered trees. vineyards. nothing real dense. river flows pretty good on this part.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Bart Cutino:

Following a long phone interview with the witness on 7/10/05, these important details should be added to this report.

- At the time of the incident the witnesses, ages seventeen to twenty-one, were fishing for catfish during a full moon under the north side of a bridge about fourteen miles west of where Highway 99 meets the San Joaquin River. The area is in close proximity to several small to large sloughs and a wildlife refuge, which contains an abundance of fish, waterfowl, small mammals and reptiles.

The observed coyote’s frightened and strange behavior reminded the witness of a previously viewed program that discussed and showed visual examples of animals’ “flight instinct” from other predators.

In response to the three young adults shouting and yelling, the large “dark figure” was seen pivoting to its right and picked up what appeared to be large boulders from the sand bank directly behind it and began tossing them “hands over head” in the witnesses’ direction. The witness believes the subject's increased hostility was a direct result of being shouted at. At no time did the subject respond vocally or attempt to shorten its distance from the witnesses.

Although no facial features were observed during the encounter, the witness emphasized both the large size and broad stature of the subject. In addition, the witness perceived the figure to be hair covered due to both its dark color and what appeared to be “shiny, wet fur” slightly animated by moonlight.

While departing, the witnesses’ felt extreme fear and anxiety. The witness was insistent that he and his two companions experienced several tense moments while trying to reach their car. They were literally “climbing over each other” while having to negotiate a narrow single-file path in the back end of a vineyard before reaching a clearing.

The next day, the witness took both his 6’2 friend and future wife rafting to the spot where the subject was observed waist deep in water. The alleged creature appeared to have waded where the river narrowed on a corner in 5 ½ ft. deep water. This particular pool of water reached the bottom chin of the 6’2 friend. After seeing this comparison, the witness estimated that the subject witnessed the previous night reached a height of between 8 ½ and 9 ft. Several clean boulders, weighing in excess of 30 lbs. were found laying on the river-bottom where the witness saw the huge splashes the night before.

About BFRO Investigator Bart Cutino:

Part owner of the "world famous" Sardine Factory (Restaurant) on historic Cannery Row, Monterey, CA & Wealth Management Consultant for the NCW Group in Monterey, CA, Bart Cutino has been an enthusiast of large "unrecognized" North American primates for over 28 years.
Is part of CA-BFRO contingent "crew" and has attended/assisted every CA state field effort since joining the organization in 2004.

MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 3605 (Class B)
Submitted by witness J. W. on Sunday, January 06, 2002. Three teenagers hear vocalizations at dusk, while fishing in Doris Lake in John Muir Wilderness

YEAR: 1984

MONTH: August

LOCATION DETAILS: Doris Lake is located about 1.5 miles from the Mono Hot Springs Resort

NEAREST TOWN: Mono Hot Springs Resort

NEAREST ROAD: Highway 168

OBSERVED: My story of Bigfoot was not visual but rather we heard a scream in the deep forest that we could not explain.

The location was in the area of Mono Hot Springs, in the Sierra Nevada's in California, specifically, the John Muir Wilderness.

My brother friend and I were fishing at Doris Lake near dusk. Doris Lake is roughly a mile and a half hike from the resort of Mono. Nothing unusual was happening and then out of nowhere, we heard a scream come from across the lake and up in the Mountians. There were no people or animals that we could see anywhere. We were in the proverbial wilderness. My brother and I looked at each other, and unable to readily discern what we were hearing we continued to fish. I did say to him, if I hear that again I am out of here. Well, a minute or so later, the same scream. The three of us immediately reeled in and began to run all the way back to the resort, without stopping.

I have listened to various recordings of alleged Bigfoot, and I am struck by how similar these recordings are to the scream that we heard. I did not see anything, so I cant be sure, but I am fairly certian what I heard was not a human, bear or mountian lion. So....what could it be?

Note: my brother and sister worked for several years at Mono Hot Springs. My sisters good friend who worked their as well had a horse which she kept in the summer time at the springs. While riding in the back country, she claims to have seen Bigfoot walking through a meadow below a bluff she was riding atop.

OTHER WITNESSES: 3 of us heard the screams.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Dusk (7:00 p.m.)

ENVIRONMENT: Doris Lake in the John Muir Wilderness

Follow-up investigation report:

I talked with the witness by phone. The following details can be added to the report:
--Witness was 16 at the time, brother was 17 and friend was 15.
--No one else was on the trail or at the lake.
--They used the trail that circles the lake and fished on some big rocks.
--Screams were extremely loud and angry. Seemed masculine and adult.
--First scream lasted for at least a few seconds; second came about one minute later and also lasted for a few seconds.
--Scream came from directly in front of them (across the lake/North) and was about ¼ mile away.
--Felt that whatever was screaming could see them (but he didn't feel watched), and that the screams were probably aimed at them to leave the area.
--They knew it was not on the lakeshore, because they would have seen it. It must have been above the lake, above the trail, in the dense forest.
--The screams scared them badly, and after the second one, they took in their fishing lines and ran all the way home.
--Unless his sister had told him about the other Bigfoot story, he would never have associated the screams with Bigfoot.

MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 4929 (Class B)
Submitted by witness P. L. on Friday, September 13, 2002. Teenager hears unusual daytime vocalization near Courtright Reservoir

YEAR: 1981

DATE: 1

LOCATION DETAILS: Provided in the main part of my report

NEAREST TOWN: It might be Shaver Lake, but it is hard to tell. At any rate, we were a very long way from Shaver Lake or any other town, up in the mountains. We parked the car at Courtright Reservoir.

NEAREST ROAD: Courtright Road -- the road that leads to the dam at Courtright Reservoir.

OBSERVED: In late August of 1981 I heard a distinct distant wailing animal call similar in character to some of the recordings posted on the BFRO website. I was backpacking with two other people in California's Sierra Nevada mountains, near the northern boundary of Kings Canyon National Park. About a year later I wrote down a very detailed description of the event. I have always wanted to report this to some appropriate organization, so now that I have found the BFRO site, here it is.

I was 16 at the time of the event. I am now 37. The following is a refined version of a description I wrote one year after the event.

I was on a backpacking trip with two family friends who were about my parent's age. Our destination was the Devil's Punchbowl in California's Sierra Nevada mountains which is about a 19-mile hike on good trails from the parking lot at Courtright Reservoir. [You can find a topo map of the area at http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=11&n= ... =50&size=m] The first night we camped at a place called Long Meadow. The second day was a long hike to Fleming Lake (elevation about 9600 feet,) where we made camp just before sunset. Our camp was at the northeast corner of the lake, about 50 yards from the shore, up against a low, steep granite slope. We were the only people camped at that lake that evening. The two adults set about making dinner, and I went fishing at the lake since the fish were jumping vigorously. I started at the point on the lakeshore that was closest to the campsite and worked my way around the north edge of the lake towards the west. It was starting to get dark, the wind was virtually calm, and it was so quiet and peaceful that I could clearly hear occasional sounds from camp about 100 yards away: talking and the clinking of cookware. I was really focused on the fishing since I was very eager to catch something before it got too dark.

I was changing a lure when I heard the sound. It was a distant wailing coming from the north/northeast, up a broad open valley, to my left. Fleming Creek runs through this valley. This call is very hard to describe, but one could describe it as human- or primate-like in its smooth, round character. The call was broken up into segments that rose and fell in pitch. Each segment lasted about 1.5 seconds and each followed immediately after the one before it, like "oooOOo, oooOOo, oooOOo" with the pitch and volume rising in the middle of each segment and trailing off abruptly at the end. There were about six segments in the call, making the total call length about 10 seconds. The sound was somewhere between an "oooo" and a "wow" sound.

I froze immediately upon hearing this. It did not really scare me, but it commanded all of my attention. I heard it very clearly though it was faint and obviously far away. I would guess its origin could have been anywhere from one to two miles away, up the valley to the north/northeast. As I said it was very calm that evening and sound carries far in conditions like that. The call stopped after the first six "oooOOo" segments, and I immediately and very consciously decided that I was hearing things and ignored it and went back to working on my lure. Then I heard it again and there was no ignoring it. There was a total of five or six very clear, distinct calls made up of about five or six "oooOOo" segments each. The entire event lasted maybe 45 seconds or a minute.

Once the second call started I stopped what I was doing and listened very carefully as the call repeated. I was definitely not hearing things. It was not the wind, since the breeze was barely a whisper. I was in an open meadow with a lake immediately in front of me and a tree-covered granite mountain behind me. The sound was not echoing, as there was nothing for it to echo against, and the sound did not trail off as it repeated as an echo does. It started and stopped very deliberately.

This spooked me and I packed up all my fishing gear and went back to camp. I told the others that I had heard an animal call of some kind and asked them if they had heard anything but they had not. My guess is that the sound was masked by the noises from their own activities and the steep but low granite slope behind them. I forced myself not to think about it much, since we still had four nights to spend out there and we were headed deeper into the mountains. I did not hear, see, feel, or smell anything unusual for the rest of the trip, though I was pretty keyed up and attentive after that.

Regarding the quality of the sound:

About a month after I got back from the trip I read in John Green's book "On the Track of the Sasquatch" the description of the Puyallup recordings from 1973. It describes very well the quality of the call I heard: The unidentified noise is not an "eeeee" scream, but more of a long "whooOooOooOoo" or "whoopwhoopwhoop" at a high pitch and with immense volume. Heard from a distance it can be compared with the sound of a siren far off but it definitely is not that. When I first read that I got chills all over and I felt a little shocked, since that is an extremely good way to describe what I heard.

I recently found your website and listened to all the supposed Sasquatch sound recordings, and the sound I heard could easily have been made by the same source. But the sounds on your website are mostly long wails or howls, and what I heard undulated up and down fairly rapidly. The voice itself sounded like a cross between the 1973 Puyallup sounds and the 1993 Del Norte County "angry Bigfoot" scream. But what I heard did not sound in the least threatening. In retrospect, it seemed as if the caller were simply announcing to everyone that it was present. Though there were multiple calls, they all seemed to come from the same source, from the same direction. I did not hear anything that sounded like an answer.

To my mind there is no way this could have been a person unless they were playing with an amplifier. The noise was obviously far away and I find it hard to believe anyone (short of an opera singer) could project a call like that over such a distance. There were not that many people out there anyway. Since then I have heard coyotes, owls, horses, donkeys, grouse, and other animals in the wild, and they don't sound anything at all like what I heard. I have never to my knowledge heard a cougar, so I guess that is a possibility. I have heard that there could have been elk in that area, but I have listened to several elk bugles on the Web, and none of them are remotely like what I heard. Those elk recordings sound like someone trying to make a sound on a saxophone for the first time (dry and squawking), and what I heard had a very smooth "primate" quality.

ALSO NOTICED: As we approached Fleming Lake, the trail followed Fleming Creek which was maybe 100 feet below in a ravine. The bottom of the ravine was thickly covered with brush and trees. Down in the ravine we all clearly heard what sounded like a person or a large animal moving at a walking pace downstream (opposite direction of us.) It sounded like someone moving through thick brush and occasionally breaking branches, not even trying to be quiet. Later, my guide told me she thought it was a bear, since she had experience with them in this area before. To this day I have no reason to think otherwise.

OTHER WITNESSES: No other witnesses. The other two in my party did not hear the sounds, though if they had been standing where I was I am certain they would have.

OTHER STORIES: There are several other reports in your online database from this general area. I read a report on some other bigfoot-related website about three years ago that described a virtually identical call at the same time of day from the same general region on approximately the same date, but I have not been able to find it again. I was really surprised to read that report, since it could even have been the same incident reported by someone else.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Maybe 7:30 in the evening. Dusk. Clear, calm. Not even enough wind to cause ripples on the water. It had been a warm day. Nights were relatively cold, with temperatures dipping to just below freezing. It was dry, since it was late in the year. There was not a lot of water in any of the creeks.

ENVIRONMENT: High Sierra conifer forest, near the treeline. Fleming Lake is at about 9600 feet. Lots of forest interspersed with cold lakes and meadows. Snowfields present on the shady side of many of the peaks. Very rugged and remote, though back then the area got a fair amount of backpack and pack horse traffic. We saw lots of bear and deer prints in the area.

Follow-up investigation report:

I talked with the witness by phone. This report is very thorough. The only information that can be added is that the witness believes that the vocalization may have come either from a female or a young male.

This type of vocalization has been noted before. It could be speculated that opposed to being a territorial "scream," this may have been a location call, intended to let other bigfoots in the area know where he/she was.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:33 pm 
MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 2996 (Class B)
Submitted by witness Larry L. on Sunday, August 16, 1998. Two campers find a 17 inch footprint near their camp

YEAR: 1973

SEASON: Fall

MONTH: September

DATE: 1

LOCATION DETAILS: This incident occurred in California's Sequoia National Forest, the eastern part of Fresno County, along the North Fork of the Kings River, between the Black Rock and Lily Pad camp grounds, below Wishon Reservoir at about 37" north and 119"east. The actual footprint sighting was on a lower bluff inside a pool of wet sand about 100' below the canyon rim and about 800 feet above the river.

OBSERVED: The late Vanwedigen and I were going fishing along the river over the Labor Day weekend. While back packing in along the forestry trail leading down to the river, we missed a trail marker and wound up at night along the canyon rim. We made camp on a bluff slightly below the canyon rim. I didn't sleep well that night. I had a feeling I was being watched and was uneasy. Breaking camp the next morning, Van went for water coming from an artesian spring in the wall of the canyon. He found one very clear bigfoot footprint in the wet sand below the spring, about 80 feet from where we'd camped. He called to me to come over and see. My first reaction was this was a hoax. Van and I examined the footprint in detail. It was about 17 inches in length, with 5 clear toes and pressed down about 2 1/2 inches in the sand. There was a musty smell in the area but this wasn't overpowering. Van concluded the print was real based upon the fact it had rained hard the previous morning and you could see the pattern of the rain drops on the surface of the sand except where the footprint was. Also whatever had the print may very well be slightly above us at the end of the bluff in some rock outcroppings. He suggested we get out of there while the getting was good. Van had grown up in Minnesota hunting and fishing with his dad and brothers. I decided we should take his advice. We left and back tracked to Van's Toyota Landcruiser. We went over to Bass lake to fish for the rest of the weekend.

ALSO NOTICED: The Forestry Service refused to discuss the incident and was unaware of anything else in the area.

OTHER WITNESSES: Breaking camp.

ENVIRONMENT: This area is around 4500 to 5000 feet in altitude and is covered primarily with conifer forest with some very heavy underbrush in areas. The trails through it are generally good and the terrain is somewhat rocky but passable. A slanted chimney goes down to the bluff which runs parallel to the canyon rim. The bluff is about 200 yards in length and has a few trees, some brush and rock out croppings. It drops off to the canyon below.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:33 pm 
MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 2876 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Saturday, March 29, 1997. Sighting by a Backpacker Near Bullfrog Lake

YEAR: 1968

MONTH: July

LOCATION DETAILS: Approx. 100 yards east of Bullfrog Lake, at 10,500 ft. elevation, while on a backpacking trip in the High Sierras of California. From the map I just checked I believe it would be Tulare County because we were backpacking out of Onion Valley and had gone over Kersarge Pass to Bullfrog Lake.

OBSERVED: I was about 100 yards from our camp when I spotted what I thought was a cub bear looking around the camp. This was in broad daylight, around 3 in the afternoon.

What really caught my attention was the concentrated interest this cub bear was paying to my backpack in particular. I stood in one place for about 2 minutes watching this sight from 100 yards when this "cub bear" stood up and began to walk away.

At 18 years of age I couldn't force my mind to accept what my eyes were telling me. I watched the baby bigfoot (approx. 4-1/2 ft. tall) walk away from me into the trees for probably a full minute in duration. It disappeared into the trees at a distance of approximately 200-250 yards from me. It's arms swung like a person and walked with a smooth gate, not at all like a chimp or gorilla.

The hair was standing up on the back of my neck and I had a sense that I was witnessing something unnatural. I didn't tell anyone this incident until recently.

OTHER WITNESSES: Hiking back to the camp area.

OTHER STORIES: None.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: The year was 1968. Early July. Clear weather. Small patches of snow still around.

ENVIRONMENT: Basically flat terrain, approx 100 yards east of Bullfrog Lake and approx. 10 yards north of a small stream feeding Bullfrog Lake.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:52 am 
MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Media Article # 541

Saturday, October 13, 2007

[BFRO Investigator in Cent. CA - David Raygoza]

By Anne Dudley Eillis
The Pueblo Cheiftan Online

FRESNO, Calif. - What’s David Raygoza’s idea of a good time? A full tank of gas in his Jeep, fresh batteries for his video camera and a bag of apples for bait.

Bigfoot bait.

Raygoza, 49, is an award-winning principal at Central Unified’s Pershing Continuation High School west of Fresno, Calif. But for 14 years, he’s also had a secret hobby: tracking Bigfoot in Sequoia National Forest in the southern Sierra Nevada.

Raygoza admits his belief in the legendary creature makes him sound crazy.

‘‘It’s one of those things that you don’t talk to people about. I think mainstream America looks at it like UFOs or ghosts,’’ Raygoza said.

Also known as Sasquatch, Bigfoot purportedly is covered in hair and stands 7 feet tall. The creature roams remote forests, with most sightings concentrated in the Pacific Northwest, from north of Eureka, Calif., to British Columbia, said David Byrne, a high-profile Bigfoot hunter.

Raygoza had kept a low profile on his Bigfoot convictions until July, when he led a symposium on the creature in Hanford, Calif. Raygoza has several photographs of large footprints he believes could be from Bigfoot, as well as video he says shows glimpses of the creature. He said he once found an old nest Bigfoot may have used.

Raygoza’s interest in Bigfoot dates back to his senior year at Riverdale High School, when he read a newspaper article about a 17-year-old student in the Bay Area planning a Bigfoot hunting expedition.

‘‘I thought, ‘Wow. What a bold thing to do,’ ’’ Raygoza said.

Then, 14 years ago, while camping with a friend in the Sierra east of Fresno, Raygoza came across 17-inch footprints he could not identify. A science teacher at the time, Raygoza was hooked on tracking Bigfoot.

But he found no further evidence for 10 years: ‘‘I was really beginning to believe there was no such thing.’’

A chance meeting with a man in Coarsegold, Calif., at a gold-panning exhibit four years ago piqued his interest again. The man, an American Indian, said Bigfoot roamed an area near an old sweat lodge in Sequoia National Forest. He told Raygoza: ‘‘If you go there, you’ll find what you are looking for.’’

Raygoza and a friend made a trip to the location and found several sets of tracks Raygoza thinks were from Bigfoot. Over the past four years, he’s videotaped what he believes may be Bigfoot in the forest, although he admits the images are inconclusive.

‘‘Is it definitive? No, of course not,’’ he said.

Raygoza said he once filmed Bigfoot eating an apple he had put out as bait.

Stephanie Martin, a counselor at Pershing High, said she ‘‘didn’t have words’’ when she learned last summer that her boss believed in Bigfoot. She prefers not to discuss it with him; she said his stories sound credible, and she is scared by the idea that Bigfoot may exist.

‘‘I know it sounds kooky and crazy, and (Raygoza’s) obviously not,’’ Martin said.

Terry Cox, president of the Central Unified School District board, had not heard of Raygoza’s Bigfoot tracking but isn’t bothered by it.

She said she and her sons, now grown, have always enjoyed the Bigfoot legend. Her children belonged to Indian Guides when they were young and participated in several Bigfoot hunts.

One of the Indian Guide mothers made a Bigfoot costume that an older guide wore, running through the woods, allowing the younger guides glimpses of ‘‘Bigfoot.’’

One year, they forgot to bring the Bigfoot shoe coverings, so the creature ran around the forest in silver basketball shoes, Cox said.

Raygoza declined to be specific about where he searches in the Sequoia National Forest, saying that he’s worked hard tracking the creature and wants to be the one to come up with indisputable evidence that Bigfoot is real.

He has plenty of company hunting Bigfoot.

Byrne, the Bigfoot expert, has led three expeditions since the 1960s, outfitted with helicopters and infrared sensors. The work of Byrne and two other Bigfoot aficionados is part of a yearlong exhibit that opened last week at the State Capital Museum in Olympia, Wash., examining Sasquatch as a cultural phenomenon in the Northwest.

Several Web sites are devoted to the legend. The Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization lists hundreds of sightings, separating them into Class A or Class B reports. The organization says that Class B reports are not considered less credible or less important, but they have more potential to be something other than Bigfoot, such as bear sightings or practical jokes.

Byrne, though a believer, says that ‘‘90 percent of what we think we know is pure speculation. There’s no experts. We’re all students.’’

There are too many eyewitnesses to discount Bigfoot’s existence, Byrne said: ‘‘These are really good, down-to-earth people with no reason to fabricate a story.

‘‘I think there could be something out there.’’

But Denise Alonzo, a spokeswoman for Sequoia National Forest, is more skeptical. She’s worked in the area for 20 years, and ‘‘I’ve never heard or seen anything about a Bigfoot in the forest.’’

Stephen Lewis, chairman of the earth and environmental sciences department at California State University-Fresno, said that if the creature existed, trackers would have found ‘‘Bigfoot poop’’ and other forensic evidence.

His department offers a critical thinking course, ‘‘Facts, Fads and Fallacies in the Natural Sciences,’’ which explores the pursuit of mythical creatures such as Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster.

‘‘My speculation is that people have a need to believe in magic and mystery, unexplained phenomenon,’’ Lewis said. ‘‘People enjoy the idea that there’s something out there that is mysterious and not yet discovered. They get captivated by all this stuff.’’

Raygoza is not bothered by the skepticism.

He said he’s enjoyed not only the pursuit of Bigfoot, but the beautiful wilderness he’s explored.

‘‘I’m going to continue looking until I get that shot that is definitive, where people won’t say, ‘That’s a bear,’ or until I can’t walk those hills,’’ Raygoza said.
c
BFRO Commentary:

McCLATCHY-TRIBUNE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:08 am 
Chief Forum Administrator/MABRC Executive Director

Medals: 39
Quote:
Report # 48429 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Tuesday, April 14, 2015.
Travelers have a nighttime sighting of two hairy bipeds on Hwy. 180 near Grant Grove
(Show Printer-friendly Version)
YEAR: 2014

NEAREST TOWN: Grant Grove

NEAREST ROAD: 180

OBSERVED: My wife and I were driving at about 9:30 p.m. Between Grant Grove and Cherry Gap on highway 180, when we came around a corner and our headlights lit up the straight away and next corner about 100 yards away and at the next corner we saw a large hairy figure walking upright as it stepped onto the road at an angle towards us and it took large strides and crossed the road and went down the embankment. It was very tall with dark hair. I have other observations about the sighting but I was afraid I couldn't get it all done in the aloted time.

OTHER WITNESSES: My wife

TIME AND CONDITIONS: 9:30 p.m. Dark

ENVIRONMENT: Pine forest

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Bob Collier:

On 05/16/15 at approx. 9:45 PM I conducted an interview with the witness by telephone. The witness is fifty years old where he is employed as a building inspector and lives locally in the central California area. He is also an avid outdoorsman and hunter. The witness stated in July 2014 (unknown day) at approx. 9:30 in the evening he and his wife were driving to Hume Lake California to meet some friends for an overnight trip. The witness was driving a four door Saturn compact vehicle, where his wife was seated in the front passenger seat. The witness and his wife were driving on the two lane mountain highway 180 near a Cherry Gap. As they turned on a right hand corner area of the highway, the vehicle headlights illuminated two figures walking down the right hand hillside approaching highway 180. The witness stated the figures were approx. 100-150 yards ahead of them. This observation of the figures caused the witness to slow his vehicle, because he did not expect to see anyone out on the road at this time of night.

The witness stated he observed the first figure to be very large, and walking on two feet, followed by a shorter figure also walking upright on two feet. The witness estimated the shorter figure to be approx. four to five feet tall with light color hair covering its entire body. The witness described the short figure to have a shorter leg stride, where it was trying to keep up with the larger figure who was walking in front of it. The witness stated the larger figured was approx. eight feet tall and its body was covered with hair as well. The witness observed the large figure to have long arms which swung from front to back as it walked. The witness stated his observation of both figures lasted for approx. three to four seconds, where they both walked to the other side of the road and down the embankment. The witness stated the figures walked down in to an area called Millwood Flats. The witness has hunted this area in the past, and he said the entire area is dense forest.

The witness also stated the figures he and his wife saw were not bears walking across the road. He stated the legs and arms were too long and the stride was very human like in comparison, but much longer. I asked the witness if there were any pedestrian traffic on highway 180 during this time, and he said there was not. The witness emphasized this part of the highway was considered a mountain road, and he has never seen anyone walking out on this highway at night. The witness further stated he believes the two figures were not people, because the figures did not have flashlights or headlamps and both again were covered in hair.

During my interview I found the witness to be very credible and knowledgeable about the area described. He has been to the Hume Lake area on multiple occasions throughout the years. It is my opinion the witness has a good concept of depth and yardage, do to his experience as an avid outdoorsman. His estimation of height from different angles along with distance is something he experiences often do to his career as a building inspector.

About BFRO Investigator Bob Collier:

Law enforcement officer in southern California.
Avid outdoorsman fishing, hiking, and backpacking.
Have conducted numerous investigations in the southern part of the Sierra Nevada mountain range.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:39 am 

Medals: 39
Quote:
Report # 48429 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Tuesday, April 14, 2015.
Travelers have a nighttime sighting of two hairy bipeds on Hwy. 180 near Grant Grove
(Show Printer-friendly Version)
YEAR: 2014

NEAREST TOWN: Grant Grove

NEAREST ROAD: 180

OBSERVED: My wife and I were driving at about 9:30 p.m. Between Grant Grove and Cherry Gap on highway 180, when we came around a corner and our headlights lit up the straight away and next corner about 100 yards away and at the next corner we saw a large hairy figure walking upright as it stepped onto the road at an angle towards us and it took large strides and crossed the road and went down the embankment. It was very tall with dark hair. I have other observations about the sighting but I was afraid I couldn't get it all done in the aloted time.

OTHER WITNESSES: My wife

TIME AND CONDITIONS: 9:30 p.m. Dark

ENVIRONMENT: Pine forest

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Bob Collier:

On 05/16/15 at approx. 9:45 PM I conducted an interview with the witness by telephone. The witness is fifty years old where he is employed as a building inspector and lives locally in the central California area. He is also an avid outdoorsman and hunter. The witness stated in July 2014 (unknown day) at approx. 9:30 in the evening he and his wife were driving to Hume Lake California to meet some friends for an overnight trip. The witness was driving a four door Saturn compact vehicle, where his wife was seated in the front passenger seat. The witness and his wife were driving on the two lane mountain highway 180 near a Cherry Gap. As they turned on a right hand corner area of the highway, the vehicle headlights illuminated two figures walking down the right hand hillside approaching highway 180. The witness stated the figures were approx. 100-150 yards ahead of them. This observation of the figures caused the witness to slow his vehicle, because he did not expect to see anyone out on the road at this time of night.

The witness stated he observed the first figure to be very large, and walking on two feet, followed by a shorter figure also walking upright on two feet. The witness estimated the shorter figure to be approx. four to five feet tall with light color hair covering its entire body. The witness described the short figure to have a shorter leg stride, where it was trying to keep up with the larger figure who was walking in front of it. The witness stated the larger figured was approx. eight feet tall and its body was covered with hair as well. The witness observed the large figure to have long arms which swung from front to back as it walked. The witness stated his observation of both figures lasted for approx. three to four seconds, where they both walked to the other side of the road and down the embankment. The witness stated the figures walked down in to an area called Millwood Flats. The witness has hunted this area in the past, and he said the entire area is dense forest.

The witness also stated the figures he and his wife saw were not bears walking across the road. He stated the legs and arms were too long and the stride was very human like in comparison, but much longer. I asked the witness if there were any pedestrian traffic on highway 180 during this time, and he said there was not. The witness emphasized this part of the highway was considered a mountain road, and he has never seen anyone walking out on this highway at night. The witness further stated he believes the two figures were not people, because the figures did not have flashlights or headlamps and both again were covered in hair.

During my interview I found the witness to be very credible and knowledgeable about the area described. He has been to the Hume Lake area on multiple occasions throughout the years. It is my opinion the witness has a good concept of depth and yardage, do to his experience as an avid outdoorsman. His estimation of height from different angles along with distance is something he experiences often do to his career as a building inspector.

About BFRO Investigator Bob Collier:

Law enforcement officer in southern California.
Avid outdoors-man fishing, hiking, and backpacking.
Have conducted numerous investigations in the Sierra Nevada mountain range.

Profile Personal album