Hello to our Guest
Welcome to the Mid-America Bigfoot Research Center Forums!
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

This forum will sometimes contain copyrighted information, however, it is placed here under Title 17

Not withstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

Post subject: (BFRO) Alpine County
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:25 am 
MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 12818 (Class B)
Submitted by witness J.F. on Sunday, October 16, 2005. Hiker leaves main trail and finds two sets of footprints

YEAR: 2005

SEASON: Fall

MONTH: October

DATE: 16

STATE: California

COUNTY: Alpine County

LOCATION DETAILS: There are no other directions to give, aside from what was given inn the narrative.

NEAREST TOWN: Hope Valley

NEAREST ROAD: Hwy. 88

OBSERVED: My wife and I were hiking for the afternoon in the Mokelumne Wilderness in Alpine County, California. Our destination was Granite Lake, two miles from the outlet of Upper Blue Lake. We reached our destination, had lunch and were returning, following the trail back the way we had come. When we reached a pond, about 1/3rd of the way back, I expressed a desire to my wife to take a hike southward across the same elevation level as the pond, to another lake called Evergreen Lake. There is no trail or pathway to this lake, and I thought it would take about 20 minutes to reach it. My wife declined to accompany me, so I told her I would return in a while. I began walking, trying to keep my position along the same contour line as the pond. The forest was fairly dense, and generally well covered with pine needle duff, generally underlayed with decomposed granite. After a short walk, I realized that very likely few people had ever gone where I was headed, as there were no signs of previous travel, and the going was sometimes difficult. I tried to stay on the contour, but kept slipping lower down I went. After a while - more than 20 minutes, I realized that I wasn't going to find the lake, so I started back. As I walked back I took a different route, trying to regain the elevation I had lost on the trip out. I came across a section of forest floor where there was mostly decomposed granite, and as I followed this - which was a bit easier to travel on - I come across two sets of footprints. The first set looked almost human, except they were wider and longer than usual. Noticeable were the toes, and a definite arch. The second set of prints were from a larger creature, and left a deeper impression, especially in the heal area. This track was wider still than the first, and looked similar to typical casts of Bigfoot prints. There was no noticeable arch, and the toes were not especially evident. Both set of tracks were superimposed at points, indicating that one creature was directly following the other, stepping in the same spots at times. The tracks quickly were lost in the pine needles further ahead.

It had snowed two days before, and the ground was damp, but most of the snow had melted. These tracks were fresh, likely less than 24 hours old.

OTHER WITNESSES: No other witness was present at the tracks.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: It was about 3:45 in the afternoon, and the sky was clear. The light was filtered forest light.

ENVIRONMENT: No notable landmarks are located where the tracks were seen. However, it is in the vacinity of Evergreen Lake, on fairly level ground.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Richard Hucklebridge:

The witness (JF) stated he came across the two sets of footprints in a decomposed granite soil. This soil is just a bit coarser than sand and was still damp from 2 inches of snow that had fallen earlier. The prints were following a natural passage way through the forest.

The witness first noticed that two of the footprints were touching each other, which really made a large impression to come across. The larger print was just touching the outside corner of the smaller one. In other words, the larger track was following the smaller one. JF found three of the small footprints. One of the little prints touched the large one, one was located between the two large tracks and one was ahead of the last large print.

The small prints were about the size of a men’s 11 shoe, approximately 3 3/4 inches wide across the heel and about 1/8 inch deep. These prints seemed to indicate an arch somewhat like a human would leave behind but they were definitely wider and the toes seemed very evident. According to the witness, you could easily make out all five toes.

JF estimated the large prints were about 15 inches long, a good 6 inches wide at the toe area and about 4 1/2 inches wide at the heel. Both of the large prints were a good half inch deep and the left and right prints were approximately 4 feet apart. The toes of the large footprints seemed to be bunched together and were not as well defined as the toes of the small prints. The witness thinks that because the large prints sank deeper into the soil the impression of the toes blended closer together. The witness said when he put his size 9 1/2 boots next to the footprints and attempted to make a dent in the soil, they seemed to barely scratch the surface. The witness added he realized people would not be out at this location bare footed.

JF said his first thought after observing the prints was “OH OOH!” because that’s when he figured out what the tracks were. This put him in a state of shock because he realized what made the tracks just had to be “sasquatch.” The witness then decided he should leave that place and return to his wife whom he had left up on the main trail alone.

Note: When I first spoke to JF on October 17, he said he was thinking about going back to take photos and maybe even get a cast or two. On October 24, 2005, I received the following e-mail from the witness:

Hi Richard,

Yesterday, October 23, 2005, I returned to the area of my original track sighting. Weather was clear and warm, about 64 degrees. I had a friend of mine, KW, accompanying me on this trip. We were able to partially re-trace my previous passage through the forest, following visual landmarks from memory, but were unable to find the specific area where the two sets of tracks were seen last weekend. We looked for quite a while to find the location, but were unable to do so. A few partial and very indistinct very large tracks were seen on this trip, mostly in the pine needle duff. If I hadn't been specifically looking for them, I would not have noticed them. No photos of these tracks were taken, as there was nothing that would easily be visible in a photograph. Also seen were four different scat piles. Were unsure what made the scat. Stool shape looked similar to typical primate, with visible content consisting of a lot of fibrous material, including grasses. One pile was very fibrous, with a lot of herbaceous material, while the other three were less so, and were much darker. All of the scat looked to be between 8 to 16 days old. A photo was taken of one scat pile.

Noted on this trip were the very conspicuous tracks of two humans, one with a distinctive cleat sole of the shoe. These tracks were seen all of the way out to Evergreen Lake, and returning back to the same point of departure as us. There were also numerous fresh deer tracks everywhere, and two deer approached us at one point, while we were stopped to rest.

We were prepared for casting tracks, with casting material, water, and aluminum bracing for the cast. We also had two still cameras, including a high-grade 35mm SLR, and a video camera.

Following our return from Evergreen Lake, we traveled to Granite Lake, where there were about 8-12 other people, and one dog. It was much too noisy for anything to be around this lake.

Best regards, JF

Investigator’s note: Before JF returned to the area, we did discuss how sasquatch, human and bear scat might differ in appearance. I have had my own experiences with sasquatch scat and I feel I am somewhat of an expert on the difference between bear and sasquatch scat.

About BFRO Investigator Richard Hucklebridge:

* Four years in the United States Navy, 1955-1959 (Combat Air Crewman on P4M Mercator Patrol Aircraft)
* 37 years in the aerospace industry: 33 years with General Electric at Edwards AFB; More than 5 years with the Northrop Grumman Corp. at Edwards AFB (Flight Line Mechanic on the B-2 Bomber).
* During 20 of those years at Edwards he was a Reserve Deputy Sheriff for the County of Los Angeles.

Post subject: Re: (BFRO) Alpine County
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:38 am 
MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 9898 (Class B)
Submitted by witness T. Y. on Tuesday, November 30, 2004. Family finds trackway near Bear Valley

YEAR: 2004

MONTH: November

DATE: 23

LOCATION DETAILS: 1 mile south of Hwy 4 along Spicer Reservoir Road.

NEAREST TOWN: Bear Valley, CA

NEAREST ROAD: Hwy. 4

OBSERVED: My family and I were driving in a remote area of the Sierra Nevada mountains last Tuesday looking for a place to ride our sleds. The sites we were seeking were few and far between as the area had no significant snowfall in over 3 weeks. We were above the 7,000’ altitude marker along Hwy 4 and it was a mild, sunny day. The ground was covered in snow. We had exited Hwy. 4 at the snow-play area west of Bear Valley and proceeded along the road to Spicer Reservoir despite patches of shallow snow still in the road.

We were driving slowly along the road and, approximately 1 mile from Hwy 4, we noticed deep impressions in the snow along the right hand shoulder. We stopped to examine these “prints”, although I am hesitant to use this term as no details - like toes - were present. These had obviously been here quite some time and had melted and frozen several times. They were large and deep, measuring 16" long. What impressed me the most was that these prints were in a straight line. I recalled this was an attribute of bigfoot track trails, having read this in Dr. John Bindernagel’s book and in other texts. I retrieved my tape measure and discovered the distance of the step (that is, the distance between one impression to the next) was 60” in the first measurement and no less than 56” in the others. I am 6’ tall and was not able to match this step, especially not in shin-deep snow. I decided to submit a report of a possible track trail along with this photograph.

OTHER WITNESSES: 1 adult (child did not care to witness the scene)

OTHER STORIES: I have read of other incidents in the Ebbetts Pass area.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: 3:30 pm; sunny and clear, temp. in high 50's

ENVIRONMENT: Mixed conifer forest at high altitude. Granite outcrops were present.

Follow-up investigation report:

I talked personally with the witness. The witness is well educated on sasquatch behavior and evidence. The tracks appear to be of a large upright walking mammal. Although freeze and thaw might have made the individual tracks larger, there is no way for that process to make the distance between the tracks outside the average human stride.

Attachment:
Report 9898 trackway.jpg
Report 9898 trackway.jpg [ 74.54 KiB | Viewed 3875 times ]

Last edited by Creekfoot on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:40 am 
MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 5791 (Class B)
Submitted by witness Colleen on Wednesday, February 05, 2003. Campers hear late night scream near Woodfords

YEAR: 2002

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: August

DATE: 1

LOCATION DETAILS: Hwy 88 to Blue Lakes Rd. You go back to the PGE Campgrounds. Go the the Upper Blue Lakes campground and continue up the dirt road to Lost Lakes. If you continue on the road it takes you to Red Lake. Eldorado National Forest.

NEAREST TOWN: Woodfords

NEAREST ROAD: Hwy 88 and Blue Lakes Rd.

OBSERVED: We heard something we can only speculate about but I can still remember clearly the sound. It was the middle of the night and I was awoken by the sound that started low and went to a high pitch scream. I'm sure my hair was standing on end. Then I heard it run off. It was right outside our tent. We were camping at Lost Lakes by Blues Lakes. Our altimeter read about 8400 feet. There were no other people in the camping area around the lake and it was very quiet. It was a week night and the nearest campers were down at the Upper Blue Lake Campgrounds. My husband is a very sound sleeper and did not hear it and said I must have dreamt it. He almost had me convinced when the next morning our friends who were camping with us and had their tent a little ways away asked if we heard the strange scream. He said he got up and went out side the tent to see what it was an was and saw nothing but there was a terrible smell outside. We still cannot give credit to another animal and our family are hunters and have spent many hours in the wilderness around the country.

OTHER WITNESSES: 3 of us here the sound and 1 smelt it.

OTHER STORIES: No

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Night, I can't remember if the moon was out.

ENVIRONMENT: National Forest. We were camping by the lake and there was still snow pockets in August. The Pacific Coast trail passes by there.

I talked with the witness by phone. The following details can be added to the report:
--The witness and her family were at the campground for 10 days. This event happened on the fourth night. It was also the second day that no one else but them had been camping at this spot.
--Nothing else happened the rest of their trip there.
--The witness had her dog in the tent with her and it went "nuts" after the scream.
--Whatever it was seemed close to their tent and ran off after the scream. It sounded heavy as it ran up the gravel road.
--Since they didn't think it was a bigfoot at first, they did not look for prints the next morning.
--The friend who smelled the animal said it was a very strong, bad odor.
--The witness and her family camp in this location yearly, and nothing unusual has ever occurred before.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:41 am 
MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 802 (Class B)
Submitted by witness Robert V. on Wednesday, May 10, 2000. Three hikers observe tracks while mountain biking on a trail in a canyon

YEAR: 2000

SEASON: Spring

MONTH: April

LOCATION DETAILS: Hwy 4 to Ebbott's Pass road was closed for winter conditions. We had mountain-biked four miles up the road, then taken a trail west up another 2000 feet to some mines. The trail is impossible to see if you are driving by fast.

NEAREST TOWN: Markleeville

NEAREST ROAD: Hwy 4

OBSERVED: I have to say, I was looking for just such a thing, being that I have an interest in the phenomenon (for lack of a better term). The ground was rather hard-packed with sand by the river-crossing areas. While passing a patch of mud from a spring I examined it and found the definite impressions of a five-toed human foot. I really couldn't believe it due to the odds of me actually wanting to see it (trying to be objective here). I checked for claw marks, such as a bear would leave, and found none.

The footprint had pine needles covering most of it. Upon inspection I found the rest of the footprint was also there, down to the heel, and it measured approximately 13-15 inches in length. My brother and an Indian friend of ours, John, cleared away some of the needles to get a better look at it. (we were joking that John had some friends out there that wanted to make sure we had a fun time.) We took, I believe, two photos of this print with my hands pointing to the front and back of the track, but with the sun dirctly overhead, and not really a professional camera (although , I guess, Pentax is good enough for Steve ). I'm not quite sure how they'll make out.

I was now determined to search the rest of the trail, and made sure that I went first so as to not let anyone else disturb other potential tracks. Right away in a sandy spot ahead I discovered another one, followed by more. One of the tracks was half the size of the first, and it almost appeared to be three-toed in places. We took shots of at least one more good one before heading up further to the summit. Being that there are open mines up there, I was a bit elated that we may perhaps be entering a "hangout" so to speak. nothing else was seen or smelt or felt (at least not at that time) apart from a set of indiscernible tracks going straight up a snow embankment on the other side of the canyon.

Upon returning, after summitting and checking out mines, I lagged behind to study the ground again. I found better traces in the waning light than I did earlier, including some tracks that were better than the first set. They were very clearly humanoid and large, with at least two sets again (large and small). Unfortunately, my brother and my friend had used up all of their film (not to mention they were way down the trail yelling back at me to "hurry up"). Upon staying back, and realizing I was alone, I finally got the jitters. Could've been my mind and the events leading up to that, but I felt I was being watched and I felt the need to bolt down the trail.

I wouldn't have reported this at all apart from the fact that I figured this may be helpful for any geographical data-basing you may be doing (migration patterns, whatever.)

Also, this may or may not be related, but on a trip to Mt Lassen about a week before, my girlfriend, brother and I were the only people on the hill there (hiking up another closed-for-winter road, the loop). along the way we kept hearing a vibrating "whoop whoop whoop" that would seem to come from all directions. We chalked it up to being a bird, but the low vibrations could be felt. Interestingly also, the sound "followed" us. For whatever that's worth, perhaps there have been similar reports from the Lassen area.

ALSO NOTICED: nothing else unusual

OTHER WITNESSES: my brother, our friend, and myself hiking, exploring mines, mountain-biking.

OTHER STORIES: we are relatively new to the area. I look forward to possibly talking with people in the markleeville area, though next time I'll hit the local saloon.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: mid-day, sunny, patches of snow still left at elevation. Where we were at, the sun was very high, at first discovery of tracks. Later, upon descent, sun was lower and more tracks were evident in the shadows.

ENVIRONMENT: fine forest, conifers, manzanita rocky and rugged, but passable trail had been washed out in many places with large boulders blocking (we knocked some of them down the embankment, so there may not be as many left) any vehicle travel the trail must be old, as it leads to a series of mines, most of which are submerged or caved in save one. The trail follows a canyon and a river (stream for most of the year I'd imagine) lots of run-off. Snow at the higher elevations we arrived at (the summit of this trail at least).

Secondary follow-up report from BFRO investigator Kathy Moskowitz .

"Here is a followup to the Markleeville, CA footprint find.

I visited the site today, 6/3/00, for approx. 2.5 hours. Description on getting to the area is very good. Can add that from the Silver City Historical Marker, reading "location of remains of city jail", the trail/road the footprints were found off of is located .10 of a mile west of the sign. Trail/Road can be taken by either OHV or 4WD for only 1/4 of a mile, before you have to walk the remaining distance of 1/2 mile to the area witness described.

"Searched the area and did not find any footprints or other evidence (although there are some neat arch sites there). Trail/road shows signs of a lot of use by vehicles and hikers, so any signs could have been erased. To add to the environmental info: area is high desert forest with mostly pinyon, ceder, some bristlecone, jeffery, ponderosa pine, and sagebrush. Location is in a valley, surrounded on three sides by basalt/volcanic escarpments (the fourth or east side opens into the Markleeville area). Two of the sides (north and south) would take some expert rock climbing to get over, but the west side could be accessed by foot by following the river. Area is very rugid, and in the winter, it is completely shut down to human traffic. I also documented the area with photos."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:42 am 
MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 7336 (Class B)
Submitted by witness J.W. on Thursday, November 06, 2003. Runner Hears Unusual Whistle Near Woodsford

YEAR: 1983

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: July

LOCATION DETAILS: Hwy 88 to Blue Lakes Rd., I think. Its been 17 years since I've been there.

NEAREST TOWN: Woodsford

NEAREST ROAD: Hwy 88

OBSERVED: While walking cross-country, looking for possible home sites from the early 19th and late 18 hundreds, I was walking the base of a small ridge between two lakes Lower Blue and Twin Lake. On the ridge side it was mostly open forest on the Twin Lake side the brush got thicker. As I was walking I heard a loud two tone whistle [low to high pitch] that was not a bird or any animal I know. The sound came from ground level and behind me to my left. The whistle was loud and sounded in my opinion from a mammal. I turned and called out thinking a hunter [in a place he should not have been][no hunting zone] but no one answered, I whistled back but nothing called. Wondering what it was, I investigated the area 'till i could get no farther, the brush was too thick. I was standing within 10 feet from where the whistle came from, nothing in sight not in the trees on the ground not anywhere, no bird's where flying and no animals in sight either. It was a little spooky but at the time i was cross-country running almost 5 miles a day at 8000 feet as well as boxing training and being a good bow hunter nothing scared me at that time. I was 20 with a good outdoor understanding and other people were the only things that scared me. I remember after I got back to the cabin and asked my Dad what animal out there [if he knew] that whistled like us but much louder, he didn’t know of any.

I did not think anything about bigfoot even though I was interested in the subject, I thought they were all up north in the Shasta and up area. I did not know that BF made whistling sounds until I went through the BFRO website.

ALSO NOTICED: I used to look across a valley and ridge at Meadow Lake and saw a lush little plateau on the opposing ridge and thought if I was a BF and I was in these parts this would be a good spot to be because of the lush vegetation [looked like a spring close] and the view to see if anyone was coming. I never even thought that there was a chance they would have been in these parts of the sierra. Call it a gut feeling but I get them right quite often, I sat quietly on my side of the ridge once and watched a coyote in the valley below me. He came up the hill to within 3 feet of me and stopped. I stood and went "aaahhh", I've never seen one run so fast lol. [Sorry I know gut feelings don't count, but this spot is so remote I doubt anyone has ever been there.

OTHER WITNESSES: Just me, checking things out.

OTHER STORIES: Just at Lost Lakes, from the BFRO website.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Mid-morning, clear skys

ENVIRONMENT: Pine forest, some open, some very thick underbrush.

I spoke with the witness on the phone regarding this experience. He states his father was a caretaker of a PG&E campground, and he spent several summers in this area. He had nothing further to report on this incident. But he did also report another long distance runner from Chico that trained in the area that reported some very strange occurrence, but would not speak of it... the runner left the area the next day, never to return... and the witness has since lost touch with this individual.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:43 am 
MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 5104 (Class B)
Submitted by witness J. R. on Friday, October 18, 2002. Hunters are intimidated out of their hunting ground near Bear Valley

YEAR: 1982-83

MONTH: October

DATE: close to the 31st

LOCATION DETAILS: Pacifc Valley, Bull run trail head.

NEAREST TOWN: Bear Valley

NEAREST ROAD: Hwy 4

OBSERVED: My experience takes place around the end of October close to the end of deer season in Alpine County, California about 1982-83. Myself and 3 other hunters were getting a last deer hunt in Pacific Valley. We have hunted there many times over the years, however this time we were the only ones left in the valley.

Myself and a friend of mine were hunting together near the Bull run trail head about 5 miles from camp. That day seemed odd after we got up the hill because we could hear no sounds and we could not see anything moving.(We both have biology backgrounds) We were on the edge of a meadow and had somthing like a rock fly over our heads. Be both heard it and I hit the ground. We could not see anyone and the hair started raising on the back of our necks. After checking the area we decided to go down the hill back to camp. The whole way down the trail somthing paralleled us just out of sight. Every few hundred feet it would roll or throw a huge rock down the hill along side the trail. I dropped to a knee a couple of times and swung my rifle towards the area where the boulers were rolling and could not see anything in my scope. We were getting a little shook up at this point and could not figure out what was following us and rolling the rocks. We have never seen any bears while hunting there and ruled out the possibility of a bear trying to scare us by throwing rocks. This continued until we got to the dirt road that took us back to camp. I would say this went on for about 20 minutes or about one mile.

Once we were back in camp we related the experince to the other two hunters. The rest of the afternoon we noticed that no animals were around. We always have had animals around camp, chipmonks, birds,and the occasional pine martin. After dinner we sat around the camp fire and were getting our gear ready for the next day almost bed time when across the creek out of our lantern light a large tree went down. It was a huge crash. It could have been a natural occurence, but with the earlier events we decided that somthing did not want us in that valley.

We decided that no one was going to get any sleep that night anyway so we packed up and left for home.

I have only been back there one time after that and saw through the tent screen somthing pick up my red ice chest with a white lid. I yelled at it and it put the ice chest down and ran off. I could not see what it was. My partner dismissed it as a deer going throuh camp and went back to sleep. I never heard anything else the rest of our trip.

ALSO NOTICED: just that there were no animals around and it was very quite this trip. That area is normally teaming with wildlife.

OTHER WITNESSES: There were four of us on that trip. All four heard the tree. Myself and my partner had the rock throwing experince.

OTHER STORIES: I have not heard of anything regarding that place.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Mid to late afternoon, then around 2100 hrs for the tree incident.

ENVIRONMENT: mixed conifer forest, approx 7,000'

Both myself and Curator, Al Berry, spoke with the witness by phone. The following details can be added to the report.
--Witness has been a police officer for the last 15 years.
--Although he no longer hunts, he still visits the area for fishing.
--Witness related an experience from 1980/1981 that he didn't originally feel was related, but very likely is. The witness and his cousin where hunting in nearly the exact same location as the rock throwing incident. Suddenly, they heard a terrible crying sound. They walked down into a creek bed when they came across a deer with a broken-off front leg (if the doe walked, she would be walking on exposed bone). Another hunter was drawn to the area due to "screams" and met up with the two. They all decided to put the deer out of her misery and left the body there for other animals. They later told a game warden what they had found, but he didn't seem concerned.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:43 am 
MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 803 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Wednesday, September 04, 1996. Tracks found by vacationers

YEAR: 1978

SEASON: Winter

MONTH: December

LOCATION DETAILS: near Bear Valley in the Lake Tahoe area.

OBSERVED: Only a set of tracks leading from a river into a crop of low trees. I did not follow them (being about 10 I was pretty scared). The tracks were large -- approx.18 inches and about 2 inches down in packed snow.

OTHER WITNESSES: We were having a snowball fight. I was running, fell, got up, and saw the tracks. We took pictures that day but not of the tracks...my brother thought they were faked.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Mid-morning. Skies were partly cloudy.

ENVIRONMENT: Besides the river and the trees, the ground was uneven and I came across the tracks about 100 yards from where the car was parked along the road.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:30 pm 
Chief Forum Administrator/MABRC Executive Director
Chief Forum Administrator/MABRC Executive Director

Medals: 39
Report # 39181 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Monday, January 21, 2013.
Deer hunter has sighting in Sierra Nevada Mtns south of Markleeville
(Show Printer-friendly Version)
YEAR: 2012

MONTH: September

DATE: 9/23/12

LOCATION DETAILS: We went into the backcountry by way of a trailhead off of Highway 4 west of Markleeville, CA.

NEAREST TOWN: Markleeville

NEAREST ROAD: Wolf Creek Road

OBSERVED: Three of us went on a deer hunt that morning. We had a hunter at the top of the hill and he went up there in the dark before sunrise. At dawn my uncle and I went up the hill together parting ways half way up. There were two other hunters not in our party camped by us about 200 yards away at the base of the mountain. We did not know them or their plans.

Anyway halfway up the mountain my uncle went to the right (SE) and I went left (NW). The southside of the mountain (which I was on) was open with sage brush and scattered cypress trees. In the gulches of the face, were thick timber groves of mainly large pine trees, clustered, only to be seperated by the openess I just described.My plan was to stay in the tree groves working my way to the peak driving the deer to the top of the hill where the other hunter was positioned. I worked the grove until it ended forcing me to cross a clearing to the left to enter the grove located under the peak. When I got to the right vertical edge of the treeline to the grove, I found the first blind. It was made of a broken branch that was placed up side down and leaning against a tree. The branch was interwoven into the branches of the larger tree. At this time I had a feeling I was being watched and assumed it was the other two hunters that weren't in our party that were camped a couple hundred yards from us at the base of the mountain.

I continued left into the grove and found a 25 foot tree placed upside down next to another tree well over 50 feet high. The base was about 18" and had been snapped not sawed. Some branches had interwoven into this tree just like the little blind I first discovered on the groves edge. I'd guess the elevation was 8,500 feet, as the top of the hill was 10,000 and our camp was at the base of about 7,000. I now had an increasingly strong feeling of being watched again at this point.

As I left the second blind/upsidown tree working my way up and to the left I saw the silhouette of a bipedal primate about 8 feet tall standing still looking at me. It was perpendicular to me, faced up hill in almost a runners stance, and looking over its right shoulder, at me, slightly with its wide muscular torso turned to me. It's brow was extremly pronounced, its forehead was small with the back of it's head slightly pointed. His head (assuming a male as it did not have breasts,) was proportionatly small in relation to it's body. It's arms were extremly long, hairy, lean yet muscular, It's hands had very long palms and long fingers that curled back with a thumb that curled forward forming a backward capital "C" type shape. It then sprinted up the hill and vanished behind the trees faster than a deer bolts into a dead run from a standstill. It was on the left edge of the grove with a clearing behind it. This all happened in a second or two. I went to the place I saw it (60 yards) and found no footprints as the ground had at least a foot of pine needles that cushioned footprints and would spring back up when you walked. I used a tree that was close by gauge it's height. It was of dark color but not sure if dark brown or black as it was shady in the grove with sunlight behind it in the clearing.

I was in a state of kind of shock and almost not believing what I saw but knowing I did and simply just amazed. Because of this when I got home, later that week I decided to consult a hypnotist. I had never seen one but figured since they help witnesses recall a crime and descriptions of accounts that happen quickly or under stress it would probably help me confirm what I saw. The hypnosis confirmed my sighting.

ALSO NOTICED: Two things to note of interest now was after seeing the bigfoot was at the top of the grove just below the top of the hill was a deer kill. It had some of the hide and dried flesh on it's bones and was probably killed a few weeks prior. Secondly that night at camp after dinner, I kind of brought up the subject of the show (Finding Bigfoot) to my hunting party to gauge their opinion on bigfoot and none of them believed in bigfoot. Two of the guys actually made fun of the squatch hunters. One of the guys let out a howl (in a mocking / joking, manner) and no more than a minute or two passed when we heard cracking sounds of timber then a huge tree by our camp come crashing down. I didn't put two and two together but after reading up on other sightings in Alpine County I learned of sasquatches pushing over trees to intimidate people and scare people away. The deer kill and tree falling was what I learned about bigfoot after researching it. Before that day I never gave bigfoot much thought and frankly didn't care if it did or didn't exist. Well now I know there are here, and it is a creature that needs to be protected and respected. The only way we can pass laws to do so is prove that they do exist.

OTHER WITNESSES: No other witnesses. We were deer hunting

OTHER STORIES: no

TIME AND CONDITIONS: 7:30 AM, Clear

ENVIRONMENT: Open sage brush/grass on mountain side. Pine groves running in the gulches of the mountain and occasionally in the open areas. Cypress trees in the open areas as well.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Tom Yamarone:

I spoke with the witness by phone and have the following details to add:

- As he stated, he estimated the height to be 8 feet based on the branches of a tree that was next to the subject that he examined after the sighting. He described the color as dark brown or black but was not certain because of the lighting conditions in which the subject was backlit. It was tall and lean “like an NBA player” but different in some ways. The arm was extremely long compared with a human’s arm and the body was not bulky and thick like the subject in the Patterson-Gimlin film.

- The bigfoot was facing uphill with its right leg bent and poised as someone would be getting ready to run a foot race. The right arm was extended down to the knee and the hand was evident with palm facing back and fingers curled to form a semi-circle. He noted the palm was not square like ours but larger by two times in a rectangular shape. They locked eyes and at that moment the creature bolted up the hill taking one large step and disappearing into the woods with amazing speed. The sighting lasted approximately 2 seconds.

- The motion he observed was beyond human capability. The subject took one long, quick step landing on its left foot and was gone in a flash. He said it disappeared uphill into the forest in a blur of speed noting that it covered the distance faster than any human could.

- This witness has hunted since he was a young boy and is an experienced outdoorsman. His teacher and wrestling coach from school is our mutual friend who has an interest in bigfoot but the witness never really thought about it until this morning. Regarding the subject of bigfoot, he stated that he was not convinced they existed but did not give the subject much thought. He did not relate the sighting to the rest of his hunting party because he did not know what they would think.

We discussed his actions to seek out a hypnotist in order to recall details of his sighting. Upon returning to home, he was in a state of mixed emotions. He is a very good observer of the natural world and noted quite a few details of the subject during this brief sighting. He stated that he was blown away but what he saw but in denial. “I knew exactly what I saw but couldn’t believe it.” This led him to seek an appointment with a hypnotist.

I found the witness to be sincere and very detailed in his recounting of the hunting trip and his chance encounter with a bigfoot that Sunday morning, September 23, 2012.

Attachment:
Aerial_photo_w_labels_for_report_39181_ver2.jpg
Aerial_photo_w_labels_for_report_39181_ver2.jpg [ 37.14 KiB | Viewed 3858 times ]

Google Earth screen capture with labels associated with this hunter's sighting. This should give you an idea of the terrain and where everything described in the narrative took place.

Profile Personal album