Hello to our Guest
Welcome to the Mid-America Bigfoot Research Center Forums!
It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

This forum will sometimes contain copyrighted information, however, it is placed here under Title 17

Not withstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

Post subject: (BFRO) Inyo County
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:04 pm 
MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 25266 (Class A)
Submitted by witness J.E. on Sunday, January 04, 2009. Two men recall a nighttime face to face encounter on lonely Hwy. 395

YEAR: 1975-76

SEASON: Winter

MONTH: December

STATE: California

COUNTY: Inyo County

LOCATION DETAILS: We were on a two-lane road, slightly elevated highway, with the equivalent of a dirt emergency lane located on the opposite side of the road. This is where the biped 'creature' was running in the same direction as we were driving, but on the other side of the road. From the time 'it' came into our completely unobstructed view, to the time we came eye-to-eye (perhaps ten feet away) was perhaps 40-60 seconds. Look at your watch, count the seconds, because the viewing seemed an eternity.

The level valley (which the highway was constructed upon) had some knee high shrub for perhaps half a mile on each side of highway then the sharp incline of mountainside with pine trees above.

NEAREST TOWN: Between Mammoth Lakes & Bishop California. Per the passenger, he estimated the sighting location was between 2 to 21/2 hours, driving time south of Mammoth Lakes.

NEAREST ROAD: Highway 395

OBSERVED: NOTE: Please see the following included sections for elaboration of details. Two of us were driving home from a day of skiing at Mammoth Mountain California. The road was a two lane highway (opposite directions) with a soft dirt shoulder. We were in an open convertible (because the skis did not fit otherwise).

The moon was full and the lighting was un-obscured and visibility was (near daylight) excellent. In the distance (well beyond the reach of the High beamed head lights) two of us could see a very large and (completely out of place) thing running ahead of our approaching car. It was on the other side of the road. We slowed, 50, 40,30mph... now in our headlights. Running on the dirt shoulder, obviously unaware of our approaching auto... There it was "Bigfoot"! At its closest point we were 10 UNOBSTRUCTED FEET FROM IT! EYE TO EYE!

ALSO NOTICED: Perhaps, the most "burnt in" recollection of the sighting was the look of absolute surprise on the creature...We were close enough to SEE (and almost SENSE how very startled it was by us being suddenly eye-to-eye with us.

This was not some lower animal response. This was an intelligent human like, 'Oh crap- you saw me and where did you come from' look of surprise, as it stared at us just prior to running down and off the elevated highway.

The creature was SIGNIFICANTLY larger than even the largest of human beings (NO WAY THIS WAS A HUMAN BEING DRESSED IN COSTUME AS "BIGFOOT").

While, we were sitting in an auto, I can still say, with a high degree of accuracy, that the creature was eight to nine feet tall. The body mass was stout, thick in the chest/trunk, and very muscular. Even though 90% hair covered, you could see outline of significant "muscle definition and mass". This is much better than a guess; it weighed upwards of 500-600 lbs.

I can remember many details of creature: hair 90%, dirty skin tone, where there was leathery skin 10%, arm length, relative appendage size, and the biometrics of the approximate 15 mph running gate...Even the highly expression (because of the surprise) on its eyes...

The other witness, I am quite certain, will have an equally vivid recollection.

OTHER WITNESSES: Two witnesses. Me, the driver (it was my turn at the wheel) of the small convertible and the owner passenger. Both were 19 year old males, and old friends. The top was down, even though winter, because we had skies in the car. This had been a non-drinking day of skiing for us. The car was a little Fiat with a great heater and wind deflection design. We were driving on the Highway......

OTHER STORIES: Just for the record, I am readily willing to submit to a lie detector and/or regression hypnosis. I suspect the second witness would do so as well.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: A full moon, cold and absolutely clear, and the time of night was between 8 & 9:00pm. The light of the intense full moon gave the crispness and brightness of "twilight". We had excellent visual clarity of the surrounding environment and the actual 'creature' less than a dozen feet away.

Additionally, the headlights of the auto added lighting. However, my recollection is such that the ambient lighting from the moon was (if you assigned light character) perhaps 75%, and the remaining acuity of 25%, from the headlights. It was quite nearly like a full daylight sighting.

ENVIRONMENT: See Time & Conditions. There were absolutely no manmade structures or lights from any structures for dozens of miles leading up to sighting. Also, there were no lights of structures for dozens of miles after the sighting. Quite literally, we were in the middle-of-nowhere. I recall that there was no other auto traffic, period. No natural obstructions (trees, bushes).

A & G References: Southern California DeLorme Atlas, Page 27, Index between B & C / 4 & 6

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Richard Hucklebridge:

Per this investigator who has used this 395 highway over many decades, and during this time period, 1975-76, where this highway for the most part was a two-lane road most of the way to the Mammoth Lakes area, but they began working on making this highway into a four-lane road in small sections during this time. I will retell J.E.'s story in an attempt to squeeze out a few more details about this creature as they occurred. This witness is a very believable and credible person, who is a family man holding an important position in the business world.

The first contact with this witness was in the afternoon of 1-10-09, in which J.E. was in route to an appointment. Per this witness, the image of this creature is still very eminent in his mind, and he will feel vindicated when he can get his story out to the public at large, so they can attempt to try and understand this extended sighting and close encounter with this creature that he had back in the 1975 - 76 era. This witness was moved to tell his story by a recent Radio Broadcast he had heard in his home town area of Atlanta, Georgia.

He and his friend, who we will call and talk with later, were driving towards home with their top down in a rear engine Fiat from the ski area in the Mammoth Lakes area, when this creature appeared a head of them moving in a fairly fast fluid jogging motion, in their view. At that moment our witness said, "His view of the world changed", because they both knew it wasn't a man in a suit jogging down this long lonely road with no other vehicles or any lights of any kind in view in either direction for miles. As their vehicle approached this creature the witness said, "They could see the muscles moving under the hide of this large stout creature, and it was not jogging or running like a person would move in a similar circumstance. The witness stated, "That the biometrics of its movement was just not of a man! There was no way that anyone would be out trying to trick somebody driving down this road at this time of night".

As they were sneaking up on this creature they began to slow down to see just what it was that they were both viewing. One of his first thoughts was to get away from this thing as fast as possible just in case they had a flat tire or something. But, as they came along side at a very close distance they could see its facial expressions on its face, and at no time did he ever feel threatened by this close personal face to face encounter with this creature.

I called J.E. on January 11, 2009 and we continued our discussion of what this creature looked like up close and personal.

Facial area: The witness observed a profile and head of a circular face that was light tan in color with a dirty looking Caucasian looking face that had this two-part intelligent expression on that face when first observed. Per the witness this double expression was interpreted as, 'how surprised it was when it was viewed by these witnesses, and where did they come from?" These expressions seemed human like by using its eyes, mouth and facial movements. As for the nose, it looked like a roman-type meaning large and rounded. The facial features seemed more refined, something more humanoid-like, but not as coarse like an animal's. Its eyes were spaced wider apart than a human and they were oval in shape.

J.E. also noticed a heavy eye-brow structure, something like a shelf over its eyes, with a large forehead structure. The head seemed smaller and out of proportion as compared to the rest of its body, but it had a very thick neck. The mouth and lips seemed similar to ours, but it never opened its mouth and/or made any noise that the witness ever saw or heard. A humanistic chin was also observed.

Attachment:
Report 25266  sketch.jpg
Report 25266 sketch.jpg [ 126.6 KiB | Viewed 1379 times ]

(Drawing by BFRO Investigator Sybilla Irwin)

As for what the rest of the body of this creature looked like, as observed by this witness to the best of his memory is as follows. The body was very large, thick, and muscular with the shoulders much wider than the hips. As they were driving up on this creature he observed the definition of the muscles on its large back and buttocks area. He viewed what he believed were calluses on the bottom of its very large feet as it was jogging down the dirt section of that road. The arms which were swinging as it was jogging and seemed to be proportionally thicker and longer to those of humans. The hands were very large, and were not all covered by hair, but covered as far as the first knuckle of its fingers. The color of this creature was a darkish brown to amber, but he never saw any black or reddish tint to its hair color.

The witness stated that about 90% of this creature was covered in hair; included in that small percentage that was not covered were its hands, the bottom of its feet and the facial area. He further stated that the hair was between 3 to 4 inches long on most of the body. Also, he never viewed its genitals and/or any breasts on this creature but believes that it was a male. He never observed any ears, or smelled anything strange, but he did observe calluses on the lower parts of its knees.

During the afternoon of January 11, 2009, I called and talked with the other witness, B.M., who was the passenger in the vehicle with J.E., and he confirmed that the sighting took place, but couldn't add any further information as to what has already been reported. But, I attempted to nail down a better location as to where this all took place, and he could only estimate somewhere between 2 to 2 1/2 hours south of the Mammoth Lakes area on Hwy. 395. Per the above information, I am going to place it somewhere after the small town of Independence, California, and someplace north of Lone Pine, California.

So in summary, I do believe that J.E. and B.M. had a close encounter with what we call a Sasquatch creature back in the 1975 to 1976 time period on a lonely section of that 395 Highway in Inyo County of California. Yes, it would be a good thing if someone could get a forensic artist to have a sit down with this witness and draw what he saw on that December night.

J.E.'s e-mail message to me prior to talking with him:

"After all these years, why now am I coming forward? It was the Radio Show. I heard a discussion about the quality of other 'hearings' and 'sightings'... I felt that I should share a 100% certain observation.

As odd as my observation may sound to some, I have nothing to prove...Without any intellectual reservation, I know these creatures exist, period, because we were eye-to-eye.

Sure, at that sighting we were scared beyond words...However, for decades I have been at peace with the knowledge of their existence... After all, these creatures must possess considerable intellect to have not been "fully detected" after all these years.
Respectfully, J.E."

About BFRO Investigator Richard Hucklebridge:

* Four years in the United States Navy, 1955-1959 (Combat Air Crewman on P4M Mercator Patrol Aircraft)
* 37 years in the aerospace industry: 33 years with General Electric at Edwards AFB; More than 5 years with the Northrop Grumman Corp. at Edwards AFB (Flight Line Mechanic on the B-2 Bomber).
* During 20 of those years at Edwards he was a Reserve Deputy Sheriff for the County of Los Angeles.

Post subject: Re: (BFRO) Inyo County
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:05 pm 
MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 21684 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Sunday, September 09, 2007. Man describes childhood incident, a possible approach at Seven Lakes

YEAR: 1980

SEASON: Spring

MONTH: May

DATE: 16

LOCATION DETAILS: From Big Pine, go west on Glacier Rd. The trailhead is almost at the end of the road (before Glacier Lodge). The trail goes up to the seven lakes, located in Palisades Glacier. This incident occured at the west end of sixth lake, with seven lake a short distance away.

NEAREST TOWN: Big Pine

NEAREST ROAD: Hwy 395

OBSERVED: When I was a young boy, my father would take me backpacking in the Sierra Nevada mountains every summer. When I was 10 years old, my father decided I was strong enough for a long excursion in the wilderness, and we set off for a place called Seven Lakes near Big Pine. We had hiked for a few days when we came to the sixth lake, and we could see the seventh lake just beyond it. Seventh lake was covered with ice and there was snow all around just past where we decided to camp for the night.

We thought this would be a good place to stay and explore the next day. During the night a snow storm hit and it became freezing cold, so my father and I put our sleeping bags over us and huddled together for warmth. I kept looking at my father's watch and hitting the light on it to see when we could expect the sun to rise so we could get warm. It was 3:45 a.m when we heard footsteps walking up the trail towards us. Our tent was right on the edge of the trail, and whatever was out there walking was on two feet and very big, we could almost feel the ground shake as it got closer. My father and I looked at eachother in silence, both of us a bit shocked by what we were hearing. It walked right up to our tent and stood there for about five minutes, completely silent.

I have very good senses and I could feel that whatever it was absolutely didn't want us there. I could feel its anger resonating, I can't explain how, but I got the most scary feeling in my heart. It wanted us to leave. Then it walked off just as suddenly as it came, but it headed in the direction of the frozen lake, and beyond that the trail went into very rugged wilderness. I didn't think it was a person because it had no flashlight, was very large, and only an idiot would continue walking on the trail into the wilderness at that time of night, in the middle of a snowstorm.

My father and I were quite frightened by our nightime visitor, and when first light hit we instantly broke camp and headed down the mountain without making breakfast, nor saying a word to eachother. We both knew we had to get out of there. Unfortunately, we were so far in the wilderness that we had to camp again that night further down the mountain, but this time we were not visited luckily.

My father has a MBA and is a successful businessman, very well liked and trusted in his community. To this day we still talk about the incident from time-to-time, and we still don't know what it was. At the time the incident happened, I was so scared I didn't even think to look for tracks, and I don't think I wanted to. We didn't notice a smell, but the direction of the wind was going from us towards the creature and I think that may be why we didn't smell it. We never actually saw it, but it sure didn't seem to be a man.

ALSO NOTICED: Nothing noteworthy other than the "vibe" the creature was giving. It was like nothing I've ever felt before. My father served in Vietnam and it spooked him pretty good too.

OTHER WITNESSES: One witness, my father.

OTHER STORIES: I was reading about incidents on your website that were near where ours occured, and I noticed in each of those incidents the Bigfoot seemed to be trying to scare or intimidate. It made me want to share my experience. I've never reported what happened because we didn't actually see anything, but it is definately a Class B incident.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: 3:45 A.M., windy, moderate snow, cold, probably about 30 degrees.

ENVIRONMENT: We were in a huge glacial valley, lots of trees and large rocks. Beautiful, but very isolated and rugged wilderness.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Brandon Kiel:

I spoke with the witness at length and felt very confident in the accuracy of his report. I have the following to add:

It was late Spring. They had camped at what essentially was the end of the trail; all that was beyond them was a frozen lake and a steep ridgeline. As they were going to sleep a mild snowstorm blew in with pretty strong winds.

Both he and his father heard the animal approach from roughly 50 yards away. He describes the footsteps as very heavy "to such a degree that you could feel the approach". The animal stopped about 5ft from the tent and stood silently for close to 5 minutes. The reporter said he could "feel that we weren't welcome there; almost like it was angry at us for being there".

The animal then continued up the path in the direction of the lake and ridgeline.

The next morning at first light the two of them packed up and left the area rather quickly. They didn't think to look for prints. Both had/have no idea what they encountered that night but note that whatever it was was clearly bipedal, very large, and traversing an obscure, remote location deep in the night without any light source.

About BFRO Investigator Brandon Kiel:

Brandon Kiel is a fine art supplier, photographer, and naturalist living in the Bay Area.

BFRO Expeditions:

* California Redwoods, March 2005
* California Redwoods, May 2006
* Oklahoma, December 2005
* Oklahoma, December 2006
* California Sierra Nevada, April 2007
* Brandon coordinated the California Spring 2008 and Redwoods 2008 expeditions
* Brandon will be coordinating the 2009 Spring Nor Cal (Lower) Expedition and the 2009 Fall Nor Cal (Upper) Expedition

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:05 pm 
MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 8487 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Thursday, April 15, 2004. Hiking boy has close encounter in High Sierra

YEAR: 1972

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: September

DATE: not sure

LOCATION DETAILS: From Highway 395 south of Mono Lake, take 203 towards Mammoth Mountain, but turn south to the trailhead to Barney Lake, which starts near Lake Mary.

NEAREST TOWN: Mammoth Lakes

NEAREST ROAD: Interstate 395

OBSERVED: I do not know whom to contact but I have a story to tell. My name is J. C. and I am a 41 year old Vice President of a bank. I have been harboring an encounter I had for 31 years secretly out of fear of ridicule or shame. But now that I have seen other people have had similar situations, I must tell my story. During September 1972, I was hiking down from a lake with my dad and my friend on a fishing trip. We were at a place called Barney Lake out of Mammoth, California, and were on our way home. After a weekend of camping and fishing we were backpacking out from the lake. I was the lead person going down the trail. I had outpaced my friend J. C. and my dad by about 4 minutes without knowing it as I was moving quickly down the trail. After about 10 to 40 minutes down the trail from Barney Lake (I can't remember exactly after all these years) I came into a clearing. It was a small flat grassy meadow from the trees which I had been seeing downhill till then. I took a break to rest from my fast strides and looked out over the meadow. The first thing I saw was a big white rock boulder near the end of the meadow. The meadow was maybe 20 yards by 30 yards of grass. At the point of the clearing to my left I heard extreme thrashing going on. I looked over to my left to see a large animal bent over with its rear end facing me. It was only about 12 feet away from me. I saw that it was hairy and had a reddish, orange, brown multicolor mix hair to it, and most different was a rear end that was bare like a monkey's. I knew this because at this time in my life I spent most of my lunch hours in the library reading zoology and marine biology books. I thought this was very strange because no bear could bend over at the waist and have skin over its rear end like this. In my fear I was frozen, shocked and bewildered at the same time. I had never known or heard of big foot or sasquatch at this time in my life. At this point it had been maybe 5 or 6 seconds and then the animal lifted up and stood erect. It was enormous. It must have been 8 feet tall or more, and for a 10 year old boy this was unreal. It had been scratching with its hands and grubbing and digging prior to looking for what I thought was food. Its back was to me when it stood so I could see it was built similar to a human but with a lot of hair. I knew this was no bear from my background. I also knew only black bear were seen as an almost extinct species here during this time, and would have been much smaller in height and stature. I got so scared I ran full pack towards that big white rock. I literally dove over the top, pack and all, and snuggled against the rock, so scared to even look, in case the creature heard me. Finally after about 20 seconds or so, I peeked over the rock to see nothing and no one on the trail. Within 1 or 2 minutes, my dad and John came down the trail and into the opening. I started screaming at them "look out, look out," in fear that the creature was still there and would do something to them. They froze, bewildered, looked left to where I was pointing and then back to me in confusion. They were standing at the clearing at the spot I had been at. I finally came out and walked to them and looked into the trees and thick brush only to see broken brush, twigs and some hair there. We moved on finally and I never spoke of this again except to my dad and a couple of close friends. Around 7 or 8 years late I saw a couple of bigfoot movies including the Patterson video. Once I saw this, I knew without a doubt this was what I saw. I still kept my story a secret out of fear, but this vision haunts me and will all my life. I know it was so real. I will never forget this and take it to my grave. I am now someone who needs answers and must try and find out that this creature does exist or I will not put my memory to rest. I know what I saw was no figment of my imagination or hoax. I want to seek it out. Anyway, I hope this eye witness helps some where some how.

ALSO NOTICED: Broken twigs, brush and some hair on them.

OTHER WITNESSES: Not during the incident but after, yes my dad and my friend J.C.. They were on the trail behind me coming down.

OTHER STORIES: Yes, according to the Bigfoot encounter web site, a person contacted me to tell me of a similar incident during 2000 by some business men out of Bishop, Ca.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Towards the mid to later afternoon, I would say around 2 to 4 some where. We were on our way back down the mountain going home. It was blue sky and sunny and warm. I still have pictures of this trip in my album. The light was good, especially the open meadow in front of me. He was around 12 feet away and 9 feet into the brush.

ENVIRONMENT: Pine forest, fairly thick,and low brush. Open grassy meadow there. Big white boulder rock in the meadow. Creek somewhere nearby, perhaps within a 1/4 mile paralleling the trail.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Dr. Wolf H. Fahrenbach:

The eye witness observed the creature at very close range - evidently the sasquatch did not hear the approaching hiker due to its own activities. It was digging in the ground with both hands, throwing the dirt behind itself through its spread legs. When it stood up it was "enormous" and very hairy, especially with long hair on its arms, notably the upper arms. This part of the Sierra has an enormous snowfall depth in the winter and would not be a hospitable place to try to survive. Aside from the rich vegetation associated with the lakes and streams, this area has generally an abundance of marmots and pikas and now, introduced by relocation from Yosemite Valley, many black bears. The elevation at this site is about 10,500'.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:06 pm 
MABRC Member Inactive
MABRC Member Inactive

Quote:
Report # 2182 (Class B)
Submitted by witness B. S. on Thursday, May 06, 1999. A large, unseen growling animal breaks large branches as it moves quickly up a hillside

YEAR: 1970

SEASON: Summer

LOCATION DETAILS: I think it was Kings or Inyo county, near Bishop off of Highway 395.

OBSERVED: I have reported this incident before. Perhaps it was not close enough to a sighting to publish on your site. I originally said that the incident occurred at Mcgee Creek. I was incorrect. It was Deadman's Creek. It was Summer. I believe the year was 1970. I was 12 years old or so. My friend and I belonged to the Western Conservation Club and went on many outings with the group. We would work at an area (cleaning it up and restoration) half our stay and play the other half.

My friend and I decided that we were going to walk way up the creek to go fishing. More to get away from the adults than anything else. It was mid-afternoon when we started out. The area had very few trails, once you left the immediate camping area. We headed out cross-country staying as close to the creek as possible looking for good fishing holes. We had walked about five miles up the creek towards the mountains when we both got the feeling that we were being watched. We both looked at each other and called each other light-weights and kept on going.

We fished for awhile, by now it was late afternoon. We noticed that there were none of the usual sounds that you hear in a forest such as birds, etc. We still had that feeling of being watched. The sky was starting to look threatening as an afternoon storm was heading down the canyon / creek towards us.

We started back to camp when the storm caught us and lightning started. A bolt of lightning struck the ground on the other side of the creek and up a ways from our location. Directly afterwards, we heard a growling or grunting sound from the area of the strike. We heard the sound of branches breaking in the brush. The sound was moving up the creek away from us and up the mountain. The breaking branches sounded as if they were high up in the trees. The trees in the area are conifers and the dead branches started about six or more feet up the trees from ground level -- so whatever was breaking the branches, it had to be pretty tall.

The object was moving fast because it was soon out of hearing distance. You know as well as I that sound travels a long way in the woods and we were in a canyon so the object was really moving. We never noticed a foul odor or saw anything conclusive. I did, however, see a large shadow moving through the woods briefly.

Please understand that although we were very young we had a lot of experience in the back country. We knew what the indigenous animals looked like, their habits and the sounds that they make. This growling did not sound like anything that I ever heard before or since. I know that this will sound funny but a person knows when things are not quite right and this was not right. Just a feeling.

We could not return to the area to look for footprints as the lightning strike caused a fire and the camp site was evacuated by the USFS. At the time I had heard about bigfoot, but only up north. I was unaware of local sightings until recently. This thing was not a bear. I thought that at the time. I tried to make it a bear so I could put the incident out of mind, but it just doesn't add up that it was a bear unless this bear was huge, walking erect and hauling ass. It also did not sound like any bear noises that I've ever heard, not that I am a bear expert or anything.

OTHER WITNESSES: Hiking and fishing.

ENVIRONMENT: Pine forest with lots of undergrowth and water. I did notice that the area must not have been used a lot, as there were no signs of humans. You know -- no trails, or old fishing line, or beer cans, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:34 pm 
Chief Forum Administrator/MABRC Executive Director
Chief Forum Administrator/MABRC Executive Director

Medals: 39
Quote:
Report # 62169 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Monday, November 19, 2018.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Couple experience large rock thrown and possible bluff charge in Inyo National Forest
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Show Printer-friendly Version)
YEAR: 2018

SEASON: Fall

MONTH: November

DATE: 10

LOCATION DETAILS: Near Green Lake in the Inyo National Forest.

NEAREST TOWN: Bishop, CA

OBSERVED: BFRO Investigator Charles Lamica transcribed the following initial report from a voice mail left on the BFRO phone system. Confidential information such as last name and phone number have been edited out...

"Hi, my name is Ron ------, and I'm calling from San Diego California. I'm a middle school math teacher or math and special education teacher. I was recently over the three-day weekend up in the eastern Sierras hiking at about twelve thousand feet, and something happened that I can't explain and I just thought I would call you guys and tell you about it if you're interested. I really can't explain it. It was bizarre. But anyway, (phone number). Thank you very much. Bye.

OTHER WITNESSES: 2- The reporting party and his girlfriend.

ENVIRONMENT: Tall pine trees and steep terrain.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Charles Lamica:

I became aware of this case when the reporting party’s voice mail was posted on the BFRO Investigator’s Facebook Page, I volunteered to return the call.

I made telephone contact with Ron on the evening of 18 November 2018, one week after the incident occurred. Ron is a middle school math teacher and avid fly fisherman. He described himself as the type of guy who doesn’t believe in things like ghosts or bigfoot. He said, “I’m skeptical of things I can’t see or touch.” The incident that happened near Green Lake, however, has forced him to reassess his skepticism. His comments to me are synopsized below…

“My girlfriend and I had a three-day weekend so we decided to do some fly fishing up at Green Lake. I live in southern California, so it is a 7-hour drive for us to reach South Lake in the Inyo National Forest, then we hiked about three miles up to Green Lake. I’ve been to Green Lake many times in the past. The elevation at South Lake is about 9000 feet and the trail to Green Lake takes you up past 11000 feet, so it’s pretty steep in places and there are a lot of switchbacks on the trail.

“We hiked up to Green Lake only to find it was totally frozen over. We decided to hike back down towards another lake in the area. At one point in our hike we stopped to rest and eat some snacks. While we were there I had a very eerie feeling. It caused me to feel cold and shaky and nervous. As we were sitting there, we suddenly heard a noise of something flying through the air. I looked up and saw a huge rock, which probably weighed at least 45 pounds, coming from above us. The rock landed on the trail about 25 yards away from us. It wasn’t rolling down the hillside. It’s trajectory indicated to me it had been thrown down the hillside.

“At about that same instant we heard a very distinct animal-like grunting noise, but it was far louder than any animal grunt I’ve ever heard. We also detected a really foul smell. I particularly remember the foul smell because one moment we were breathing really fresh mountain air and the next moment there was this awful smell.

“About that time, we could hear heavy footsteps coming down the hillside towards us. The terrain in this area is steep with many tall pine trees. We couldn’t see very far above us, but we could hear something was coming towards us.

“I’ve encountered many bears in that area in the past and I immediately grew concerned a bear was approaching us. I yelled something like, “It’s a (expletive) bear!” The whole thing was so frightening and unexpected that we both started running! We left my girlfriend’s jacket, my sunglasses, and our food there and just started running down the switchbacked trail. (The jacket and sunglasses each cost over $100. We never went back to get them.)

“As we kept running down the switchbacks we could hear the heavy footsteps following us. Whatever it was, it didn’t stay on the trail and follow the switchbacks like we did. Instead, it cut straight down the hillside, and its movements were loud enough for us to hear it. We ran for about five minutes before realizing the thing was no longer following us. We went back to the trailhead, got in our car, and left.

“This was the scariest thing I’ve ever experienced in my life. I’m confused and puzzled by the whole thing. I’m not the kind of guy who believes in things like ghosts or bigfoots. But, I can’t explain what happened to us. That’s why I reached out to you guys (the BFRO).”

In my follow-up questions, I asked Ron about the rock he saw flying through the air. He said he guessed it was at least 45 pounds. He felt it was definitely too big for a human to have thrown. It wasn’t smooth and round, but was more angular with sharp edges, which he assumes is why he heard it flying through the air before he actually saw it. Ron also stated that in hindsight, although he initially was afraid they were being stalked by a bear, he felt the whole thing was unlike any normal bear behavior he’s ever experienced. He now believes it was not a bear.

During my conversation, I found Ron’s story to be believable and compelling. I got the impression this is a person with an analytical mind-set. He experienced something unusual and now wants to understand the why and how of what happened. He didn’t seem to be looking for attention, but wanted information, instead.

I explained to Ron that sasquatches will sometimes engage in territorial displays such as rock throwing, tree shaking, or angry vocalizations. Bluff charges have also been reported in which sasquatches seem to be intent on chasing people away from an area. Based on Ron’s description of the moving noises he heard, I suspect he and his girlfriend were on the receiving end of a bluff charge. After seeing a rock thrown in their direction, they heard a loud grunting noise, smelled a foul odor, and heard heavy footsteps coming their way. I find it interesting that as they ran down the switchbacks, the maker of all this commotion ran straight down the hill side, cutting across the switchbacks. This is what makes me believe this was a bluff charge, rather than some type of predatory behavior. If a sasquatch or any other large animal was running straight downhill it would have easily caught up to the humans who were sticking to the switchbacked trail. Since it never did catch up to Ron and his girlfriend, I can only assume the suspected sasquatch was merely trying to scare them away rather than wanting to actually catch them.

This incident has caused Ron to give more thought to the sasquatch mystery. I suggested to him one of the best ways to learn more about sasquatches was to attend a BFRO expedition. I wouldn’t be surprised if he signs up for one of the 2019 expeditions.

About BFRO Investigator Charles Lamica:

Chuck Lamica's interest in sasquatch started at the age of 8, when his family discovered large footprints near their home in rural Oregon. He was an Alaska State Trooper for 22 years and later worked as a Forest Warden for the Washington Department of Natural Resources. He now lives in northeast Washington state.

Profile Personal album